Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Little Bit Of Gratidude Goes A Long Way!

I can't believe how mean some people can be. A member of staff has gone off on her holiday today without a word of thanks from any of the committee members or parents for all her work over the year. A simple thank you would have been nice, maybe even a bunch of flowers or box of choccies, but no , not even thank you. I can't believe it after such a long hard year.

:o

Edited by Guest

Thank goodness you asked the question Sue, I have read and re-read the post several times, coming to the conclusion that it has been too long a day/week/year for my poor frazzled brain to make sense of it!!!

I read it twice and then decided I must be an awful person because I've never thanked anyone for my hard work :wacko: :o

xD:(:(:( I was wondering the same!!!!

Doesn't it mean thank you from parents to this particular member of staff for caring for their children. It is nice to get thank yous and hugs from children and home made cards and pictures to show appreciation. Does anyone think it has gone too far though with some parents trying to out do each other and buy expensive gifts and cards for teachers. Most shops now sell cards and presents for teachers! I have worked in a LA Nursery when parents would give boxes of chocolates for staff to share (couldn't accept gifts) and in a county Primary and a private school. The best presents I have had, have been hand written letters from children and/or parents thanking individual staff for their hard work all year (the verbal or wrtten thanks - which I think is what Jessica was saying). When we start getting expensive gifts - I think we start expecting them every year. My colleague who left after four years service (pretty good going for an international school - received loads of sweets/chocolates/gifts but also an IPod from a small group of parents! Is that going too far or a sign of appreciation from parents for the excellent job he has done! I think IPods are slightly cheaper where we work than UK xD What do others think about gifts etc for staff? (Sorry, seem to have changed focus of post slightly, but would be interested in people's views)

Marion - what appalling behaviour from the member of staff who is leaving. Flowers are a great way to show thanks etc and surely should have been seen as such! :o

Doesn't it mean thank you from parents to this particular member of staff for caring for their children.

I think Jessica has edited her original post so that it now makes sense as she inadvertently used 'my' instead of 'her' in part of her post - hence everyone's confusion. However, now everyone else's comments don't make sense! :o

Oh dear haven't I caused some confusion, perhaps my posts will become clearer after 6 weeks holiday.

A little rest may do me the world of good and you might be able to understand me by then.

The best present I have been given was a very simple home made decoration for my christmas tree in 1980.

Every year it finds a place right at the front of the tree for everyone to see, it gives me as much pleasure as it did when he gave it to me.

Guest Wolfie

The headteacher of our nursery has just done the nicest thing today. In the staffroom, there was a personal letter addressed to each member of staff individually - we all opened them in trepidation but we needn't have worried....she had written a letter to each one of us, thanking us for all our hard work and describing the individual qualities we have that make us special to, and valued by her. We have all walked round all afternoon on cloud 9, with our heads held high. I've brought my letter home and showed it to my family as though it was my end of term report - and believe me, I haven't had one of those for a fair few years!! :o

I think it's the nicest thing that I've ever been given and will be treasured far more than any gift.

oh how lovely, that means more than any present . What a wonderful thing to do.

A lot of time must have gone in to doing that for everyone and how thoughtful.

Thats why I started off this topic by saying that a simple thank you can make you feel a lot better when you are tired and worn out.

Have a lovely summer knowing that you really are appreciated. :oxD

That must have been lovely, Wolfie. The thing I like the best, and I keep every one, is when a parent writes a card or a letter saying nice things about how their child has enjoyed being in my class or something like that. I wouldn't swap those letters for an IPod or anything else. I totally agree leedwa - an IPod does seem over the top - I'd feel really embarrassed. I seem to remember reading somewhere about parents competing to get the best presents for teachers - if I remember rightly I think the present that topped everything was a laptop! :o

ok...thanks...going to get writing....... :oxD:(:(:(

Just done mine before checking out my email! We had a coffee morning today at the previous owner's house and I was able to buy everyone a lovely crystal bracelet (at a very reasonable price because the designer/maker is one of my lovely Brownie mummies!), and a card to tell them how much I appreciate what they've done. So I was able to contribute to the fund raising whilst saving myself a shopping trip! What a result...

Maz

We often get boxes of biscuits/chocolates to share, but my favourite things have been Christmas/Easter decorations and biscuits made by the children, and the lovely wobbly cards which are so heavily glued, glittered and decorated that they don't stand up properly! And the tree decorations which really stand out when placed on the Christmas tree so that everyone asks where it came from - and the way they make you smile when you think of the little character that made them.

What has been so nice today is that children have arrived with special presents for their key worker - what a lovely way to show parents appreciate the relationship the staff have with their children!

Maz