Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualifications

Just spoken to a friend of mine who was asking about qualifications. Her friend, trained and achieved NNEB 25 years ago but has been told that to work with children she needs to do the NVQ3. I was always under the impression that NNEB was a level 3 qualification so it seems mad to me that she would have to re-train and re-qualify at the same level. I can understand that it might be because her qualification is 25 years old but surely there is something else she can do rather than do a whole qualification again? Or did I get the wrong end of the stick with the levels?

This is a list of qualifications which are suitable at level 3 (and working with the under 2s)

* Certificate in Nursery Nursing (NNEB)

* Diploma in Nursery Nursing (NNEB)

* Diploma in Nursery Nursing (NNEB)

* Diploma in Nursery Nursing (integrated scheme) (NNEB)

* NNEB Diploma in Post-Qualifying Studies (NNEB)

http://eypquals.cwdcouncil.org.uk/public/g...ons.asp?level=3

I'd like to see the powers that be try and tell our outstanding NNEB that her thirty plus years of working with children count for nothing. She'd soon give them the proverbial flea...and a bit more!

So a friend of mine who is level three qualified just decided she might try the EYPS, how long will it take her? I pretended to be a little uninterested which is mean of me, (only because she casually said she might have a go, and she is the type that seems to have things happen easily- maybe I am being a bit green-eyed) but I feel I am working so hard to do the FD and then the EYPS but because she has a midwifery degree she will go straight to a EYPS course, from level 3 to 6 - but how long will that take? Does her midwifery degree equal the FD in early years?

My understanding is that those with an 'unrelated degree' will need to do the full time pathway to EYPS.

Having said that, the appropriate pathway for each individual is advised by the EYPS provider.

Your friend also has a level 3 so am sure she will have experience in some if not all areas and therefore she may well find she is eligible for one of the shorter pathways.

I don't think the midwifery degree (or any other degree) equals the FD in early years. For some unknown reason the powers that be have decided that all students must be educated to degree level before undertaking one of the pathways. The CWDC are aware of the many wonderful early years practitioners with level 3/4 and in time they may well change their 'entry' requirements.

At the moment I confess to being right off the whole idea of EYPS personally xD I do not want to work with children under two and see no point in me going off to gain experience with this age range and then return to my pre-school where we don't have children under 2! There is also a matter of GCSE Maths which I would need to do - though I have found a provider who offers a maths equivalency test :(

I just don't 'get it' - there was a case recently of someone who had worked in banking for almost 20 years, had a degree in something or other and was made redundant by the bank. They fancied a change of direction and their degree was the ticket in the door to do EYPS - they are now doing the full time pathway as they have no experience of early years.

During the year they will spend a total of 18 weeks in various settings to gain experience. I am sorry and I really don't mean to offend anyone, or take anything away from those of you who have worked so hard to gain EYPS but I just don't see how anyone, new to early years can gain EYPS after a year and suddenly be deemed able to lead an early years setting,

Sorry I didn't mean to rant :o and maybe I just have the wrong end of the stick!

Rant accepted and read with a nodding head and grunts of agreement, I guess we all have to watch and see what happens - I don't feel drawn to the EYPS status either, I fear it is something that will be forgotten or upgraded or unrecognised further down the line.. although this time next year I may be enrolling to do it :oxD - it is all confusing!!!!!

Guest Wolfie

Geraldine I completely understand your rant and are similarly amazed to think that someone with an unrelated degree can suddenly be deemed suitable to lead and manage an early years setting in under two years.

After a lot of thought I HAVE decided to start EYPS training in September - my "gap" is with the under threes and as part of my job role I need to plug that gap because I need to be able to lead and influence practice across the whole 0-5 age range. I was told that it wouldn't take me long at all to gain the experience necessary and that I could take the short route (6 months)...I find it hard to believe that I will be in a position to lead and manage practice with the 0-3 age range after such a short placement and I've been working in early years for 20+ years!! So how can someone with a completely unrelated degree possibly build up sufficient expertise and experience with the WHOLE age range in 12 months? There does seem to be a discrepancy somewhere? :o

Rant accepted and read with a nodding head and grunts of agreement, I guess we all have to watch and see what happens - I don't feel drawn to the EYPS status either, I fear it is something that will be forgotten or upgraded or unrecognised further down the line.. although this time next year I may be enrolling to do it :oxD - it is all confusing!!!!!

This has worried me, too! I have chosen to believe that the Government has invested so much time and money in the EYP programme that it won't change now. Unlike the Senior Practitioner Status which hasn't been heard of since I enroled on my FDEd two years ago...

So, EYPS beckons for September, and I do have serious worries about my ability to lead and manage a setting with children from birth to three, given my only real experience will be from a work placement while I'm on the long pathway (15 months)...

But on the positive side, at least my setting will have 'ticked the box' re graduate leadership well ahead of the deadline (2015 is it??).

Maz

Oh thank you Wolfie and Shire :o I was actually beginning to think I had lost the plot and I find it reassuring to know I am not alone in my thoughts!!

YOu raise an interesting point Wolfie with regard to gaining experience with the under 3's. If I were to do EYPS I could do one of the shorter routes when I have achieved my BA in EY and theoretically I would then be capable of leading a setting that caters for babies - argh! at the thought and as you say a few months experience with a relevant age range is hardly sufficient to enable anyone to 'lead'.

I may well eat humble pie at some point and go for EYPS but am happy to wait and see how things turn out/don't as the case may be. I don't 'need' to do it, I don't intend to change jobs and am happy in my role as Deputy but I do keep thinking that every early years setting must have an EYP by 2015 - then again that's a few years away so I can always decide nearer the time if the powers that be haven't moved the goalposts (again!)

I have my ancient NNEB (Circa 1974!) and gained my Foundation Degree earlier this year. I am now continuing my studies to up this to a BA in Early YEars but to be honest I am getting old (ish!) and don't want to spend the rest of my working life continually updating my qualifcations. I just want to be minus study, minus paperwork and hands on with the children xD

Oh! nearly forgot, good luck in September Wolfie and do let us know how it goes

I think because she has a degree plus relevant Early Years qualifications and experience she may be eligible for the short route. It would be different if she did not have the level 3 and experience. But I could be wrong :o

HEY ALL - JUST READ ALL YOUR COMMENTS WITH INTEREST, AM CURRENTLY ON THE DREADED EYPS AND AM DOING MY ASSIGNMENT FOR CURRENT ISSUES ON THE COURSE ITSELF, HIGHLIGHTING WHERE I THINK ITS ALL GOING HIDEOUSLY PEAR SHAPED SO ANY RANTS THAT YOU HAVE WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL! oops! just noticed its all capitals - sorry about that, just in uni (again!) doing more work aargh!

I am now continuing my studies to up this to a BA in Early YEars but to be honest I am getting old (ish!) and don't want to spend the rest of my working life continually updating my qualifcations. I just want to be minus study, minus paperwork and hands on with the children :o

Our EYPS Provider (Reading University) has combined the EYPS with the extra 60 credits to 'top up' the Foundation Degree to a BA and so its funded (and our settings receive the £4,000 for doing the EYPS). That's a powerful attraction for me doing the EYPS (as well as ticking the aforementioned 'graduate led' box!).

Would you be more inclined to do the EYPS while doing your BA at the same time??

Maz

Yes that is what I will probably do :( but my colleague has signed up and will get EYPS in six months, which will mean her level 3 will become level 6 in six months!!!! :o It will take me 3+ years you can't help feeling a little peed off. xD

Nevermind I have to remember I am the Pre-school leader and she is my assistant whatever level she is. :(

Yes that is what I will probably do :( but my colleague has signed up and will get EYPS in six months, which will mean her level 3 will become level 6 in six months!!!! :o It will take me 3+ years you can't help feeling a little peed off. xD

Nevermind I have to remember I am the Pre-school leader and she is my assistant whatever level she is. :(

Only if she meets all the standards - it is by no means a foregone conclusion. Does she have all the necessary experience (and can she show that she leads practice in your setting?).

And is your setting going to get the four grand so you can pay for cover etc while she attends uni?

Maz

My understanding is that those with an 'unrelated degree' will need to do the full time pathway to EYPS.

Having said that, the appropriate pathway for each individual is advised by the EYPS provider.

Your friend also has a level 3 so am sure she will have experience in some if not all areas and therefore she may well find she is eligible for one of the shorter pathways.

I don't think the midwifery degree (or any other degree) equals the FD in early years. For some unknown reason the powers that be have decided that all students must be educated to degree level before undertaking one of the pathways. The CWDC are aware of the many wonderful early years practitioners with level 3/4 and in time they may well change their 'entry' requirements.

At the moment I confess to being right off the whole idea of EYPS personally xD I do not want to work with children under two and see no point in me going off to gain experience with this age range and then return to my pre-school where we don't have children under 2! There is also a matter of GCSE Maths which I would need to do - though I have found a provider who offers a maths equivalency test :(

I just don't 'get it' - there was a case recently of someone who had worked in banking for almost 20 years, had a degree in something or other and was made redundant by the bank. They fancied a change of direction and their degree was the ticket in the door to do EYPS - they are now doing the full time pathway as they have no experience of early years.

During the year they will spend a total of 18 weeks in various settings to gain experience. I am sorry and I really don't mean to offend anyone, or take anything away from those of you who have worked so hard to gain EYPS but I just don't see how anyone, new to early years can gain EYPS after a year and suddenly be deemed able to lead an early years setting,

Sorry I didn't mean to rant :o and maybe I just have the wrong end of the stick!

Hi Geraldine, just read above entry - just wondered about the GCSE maths equivalent because I'm in a similiar position to you - don't think my cse maths taken some 20+ years ago counts! would be interested in doing somesort of 'top up' maths, but don't really want to do the full gcse maths cos after all we are supporting 0 - 5years with numeracy not doing algebra! I'm currently on the foundation degree course start my second year in September . I also just have experience with 2 - 11 years (apart from my own children!) and would need to cover the 0 - 2's on the EYP course.

Would you be more inclined to do the EYPS while doing your BA at the same time??

Hi

I may be missing something here (highly likely!!) but I don't see the difference between doing the BA and then EYPS and doing one of the 'combined offers'. As far as I know the offers from various providers of 'a top up to BA with EYPS' is actually a programme of study for the 60 extra points and then the validation route to EYPS at the end.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong but that's my understanding from people I have spoken to - maybe it varies from provider to provider?

Hi Geraldine, just read above entry - just wondered about the GCSE maths equivalent because I'm in a similiar position to you - don't think my cse maths taken some 20+ years ago counts!

Hi

I think it depends on the provider but it's worth asking around! I have all the 'gumph' from 3 different providers and one sent me a sample maths paper (yuck! yuck and yuck again!!) - sorry I can't remember which provider it was and all the information is at work. I will try and have a look tomorrow and let you know.

im doing the combined to get it done and finished, cannot see the point of doing the EYPS and then 15 mths later doing the top up...get it all done together, and one of the criteria on the qualifications from the CWDC is GCSE maths and english!!! i need to do that too!!!! what a busy beee i will be...... :o

Guest Wolfie

Hali, you mentioned somewhere that you've got a weekly EYPS session at uni once you've started - is that lectures, seminars, etc.?? I haven't heard anything from my provider yet!!

Edited by Wolfie

I may be missing something here (highly likely!!) but I don't see the difference between doing the BA and then EYPS and doing one of the 'combined offers'. As far as I know the offers from various providers of 'a top up to BA with EYPS' is actually a programme of study for the 60 extra points and then the validation route to EYPS at the end.

Its just that from your previous post I got the impression you were saying you weren't going to do the EYPS but were carrying on to finish the BA.

Mind you, if there's a right end of the stick and a wrong end, you'll be sure to know which end I'll be pulling on...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)