Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Desperate need of help with homework EYFS

benjigamer

Hello fellow teachers and parents,

I am an NQT and I am panicking due to my deputy asking me to starting homework in reception (harsh, right! [we will debate this another time ;)]). Anyway, she would like it set out as a grid of 8 tasks per half term of which they must complete at least 3 of the tasks.

I understand what she would like however, being an NQT, I'm not quite sure what reception 'homework' looks like and was wondering if anybody could provide some examples of what their school does? I genuinely do not want to steal anybody's ideas or work, I just want to know what sort of things you set and how you would go about presenting it.

I would go back an ask my deputy but I feel that I am being quite a nuisance and don't want to come across thick.

I really appreciate any replies back to this forum,

Kindest regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post.

I've taught nursery and key stages 1 and 2- reception is the only one I haven't!

But, I'm sure, along with others here, I'm aghast that you're having to set homework for reception children :o

if it were me, I'd think along the lines of 'bringing stuff' from home- 'Can you bring something in that is green/light/soft/natural/made?'

Or drawing their room/kitchen/hamster/garden. Or bringing in their favourite book/toy and talking about it.

Hopefully others can come up with some more suggestions to get you going!

• Like 1

Hi there. I'm not a big fan of homework, so I would frame it as home learning/parental engagement, which research over and over suggests makes the biggest difference for children's outcomes. I'd keep it really simple, as Helen suggests, and think of things things they may do with the family..go for a walk and collect a list if things; read a story together; take a photo of some round things (or any other shape); go shopping and find the number 7; bake some cookies; lay the table for dinner; make a den; play a board game; make a snowman;splash in some puddles.

All these things can be justified as supporting learning at home, parental engagement, and all fit into the EYFS.

I'd avoid anything like worksheets.

lots of ideas to follow from others.

• Like 2

Hi. We had printed sheets that we would give out to parents with things they could try out at home eg playdough recipe with ideas of resources to use with it..same with gloop recipe , mark making ideas for outside, a listening walk, how to make inside dens with sheets and pegs...bright coloured with photos and bullet points and simple reasons why we do these sorts of activities. No pressure but do give parents ideas of what to try.

Hi,

Trying to think back to schools where I've had to give YR homework! Also things I know friends' children have been given. I'm not advocating any of them. I'm wondering if you can come up with 'tasks' which would help you collect evidence for some of the ELGs e.g. 'take a photo of your favourite toy'? I too would go with the parental engagement route and suggestions for activities. Is there an expectation that you collect anything in? I hope not but if there is could you give out a parent wow/comment slip? You could collect them in to add to learning journeys.

Other thoughts:

- share a story

- put some music on and dance to it

- collect boxes to bring in for modelling

- see how many circles can you spot in your house?

- build a den/vehicle etc.

- collect some signs of autumn/spring/summer/winter

- find out what your mum/dad/granny/grandpa's favourite toy was

- write your name in as many different 'substances' as you can.

etc etc etc.

• Like 1

Go for a walk and collect one thing beginning with the sound (whatever letter suits at the time).

Bring in a picture of a pet.

Bring in your favourite book to show us.

Draw a picture of what you had for dinner.

Put some food for a wild bird/animal out in your garden/a field/hedge/park.

Find a ticket for something (then stick them all on a board).

Sing a song with someone in your family.

Help set the table for a meal.

Tell someone in your family something you like about them.

Find out what colour your eyes are.

Tell me two things you see on the way to school.

Get a grown up to show you a game they played at school.

Bring in a picture of you when you were a baby.

Try something new to eat.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have used some of the Twinkl home challanges, any are based on stories or themes. The children have been eager to do them, all there has been no pressure for children to complete them. Usually in the summer term we encourage the children to do a project alongside our topic, which can be pictures, models or writing. I must admit with I'm not too concerned if they complete them or not!