Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

mathematics resources

Dear all

I hope ​you are having a lovely summer!

I am searching for some advice on our maths area.

We have designated areas such as maths, role play, mark making etc and they all intermingle, ie writing implements in the maths area, number books in the writing area, etc - we often have a more adult led maths activity at registration time and an activity set up on the maths 'table'.

Has anybody got any suggestions on a different approach?

I struggle to plan exciting and different weekly activities to have out on the table for the children.

​One week we may have sorting cars or a matching game, etc according to the next steps that we need to cater for but I always wonder if there is a better way of providing maths opportunities.

​We have maths going on all of the time it's just the area itself that I struggle with!!

​Any ideas would be so gratefuly received! Or even recommended books, etc.

​Thank you in advance xx

Do you have Numicon ? I bought a box of 8 sets and use it in all areas, I heard about it being used a fair bit in Reception classes but wanted to see what these few bits of plastic with holes in was all about ......brilliant ! our 3/4yr olds find lots of ways to use it, in paint, playdough, We have a set with padlocks, they draw around it, balance other small parts on it and the more able chn started using it for addition.

Pinterest has lots of great ideas for maths activities :-)

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

Would you be able to do away with the 'maths area'? We used to have one and struggled with it just as you're describing. We now make sure children have maths going on in every area, e.g. role play, malleable, sand and water, mark making, puzzles, book corner etc but have no dedicated maths area.

• Like 2

I'd agree with stargrower and ask yourself why you need a maths area? Yes have your maths resources in an identifiable place but maths can happen anywhere.

I'd suggest you audit your maths resources to ensure they are fit for purpose and cover all areas of maths. Then I'd look at opportunities to develop maths in each area eg role play, sand and water, creative etc. Also look at how you support maths in daily routines, eg snack time, through songs rhymes and stories.

check also on the confidence of your staff team. In my experience this is an area people often feel less confident about. If less confident, they can sometimes find it harder to maximise mathematical opportunities in every area so they may need support. Do you have training you can access too?

And just a little request for those of us a tad visually challenged, would you consider changing your text style to make it a bit easier to read? Pretty please?

• Like 2

Do you have Numicon ? I bought a box of 8 sets and use it in all areas, I heard about it being used a fair bit in Reception classes but wanted to see what these few bits of plastic with holes in was all about ......brilliant ! our 3/4yr olds find lots of ways to use it, in paint, playdough, We have a set with padlocks, they draw around it, balance other small parts on it and the more able chn started using it for addition.

Which numicon set would you recommend please? I have looked at it several times but never can decide which is best for 3/4 year olds. Cost is an issue too... Of course!

• Like 1

I have Numicon Mouse - but it mostly sits on the shelf untouched!! None of my staff EVER get it out!! Can you expand on some uses please. I was a bit paranoid about losing pieces when I first bought it - didn't quite like the idea of it being 'transported' around the room - never to be seen again! However I guess this is the way to get best use from it - in a continual,provision kind of way??

• Like 1

Hi Megamum, I just bought a set like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Numicon-Box-of-80-Numicon-Shapes-Game-9780198487272-/391468048832?hash=item5b255061c0:g:KOkAAOSwG-1WuwOg

I really wasn't sure what (if anything) our chn would get from this, but was amazed at how much independent counting goes on as they balance pebbles in the holes or count the circle patterns they've made in dough..they actually choose to get it and add to what they are using :-)

I'd really love the the large set for outdoors, but it is expensive and looks as if its made from that thin'ish foam like the floor mat puzzle type squares you join together and i think it will soon break.

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

I have Numicon Mouse - but it mostly sits on the shelf untouched!! None of my staff EVER get it out!! Can you expand on some uses please. I was a bit paranoid about losing pieces when I first bought it - didn't quite like the idea of it being 'transported' around the room - never to be seen again! However I guess this is the way to get best use from it - in a continual,provision kind of way??

Haha ..I hate it if things aren't in full sets .......and don't get that not all staff concern themselves with this lol

Yes, we just have it around as continuous provision, I have a few sets out and about and some hid away to restock or use for a planned activity, but worse case you can buy single pieces to replace, there really are some fab ideas for using them on pinterest...take a look

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)