Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet training a 12 month old!?!

garrison

We have a child starting in nursery soon who will be 12 months old on admission.

His mum told us that as soon as he can walk he will be toilet trained-she wouldn't listen when our baby room coordinator told her this is too young.

Does anyone have any literature on this to help us

TIA

gosh ...which culture is she from?

It's really interesting that different cultures toilet train differently...really under 18 months it's about toilet timing! I think you'll find that once the issue becomes reality she might change her mind! rather than 'argue' with her i'd go with the flow at the moment...!

White British-I know very occasionally it can work and we are going to wait until he starts in March and see if she's succeeded. I would just like to have some back up evidence if she still persists in this thinking

I do wonder why walking is the reason to start .. not a usual assumption these days.

I do remember mum telling me that parents would often start 'training' from a year old when in terry nappies, but it was all about timing and at that time sitting a baby on a cold tin potty triggered a reaction to wee.. <_<

It will be about timing as the child will be unable to indicate when they need to 'go'.

I am assuming this is a first child.. suppose it makes a change from leaving it until they are going to school which seems to be a trend these days.

I would want detailed instructions on how she plans to achieve this and what she is doing at home, to ensure she is not just asking you to do something and then not follow through at home with the same .

http://www.pottytraining.co.uk/learning-pants/the-8-signs-of-readiness-quiz/

http://drylikeme.com/when-is-best-to-start-potty-training/

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/potty-training-tips.aspx#close

There are lots of different methods to training ....netmums and mums net are full of advice :angry:

I do think we need to be careful though to take in to account others ideas.....like I said if it works then great...if not go back to the drawing board. I picked up some info recently (can't remember where) about cultures who have a particular whistle sound that they use for toilet training....they hold the baby over a pit/loo and use this sound ...it then becomes a bit like Pavlov's dog theory and each time the child hears the whistle it wee's... brilliant if you are in a country where water is short and nappies are bits of cloth. ;)

.......and nobody minds when the baby poos or wees on them or the floor :P

When I had my first baby (who is now 34) my Nan used to constantly tell me that I should (from the age of six weeks) be holding her over a potty and blow in her face (presumably the shock of that would make her go!) I never did and also used terry nappies.

To be honest I think this would work more by luck than design. My mum swears she had me out of nappies at 16 months old, with no accidents. Me, I'm not so sure but she did have a one month old as well and live in two rooms with no hot running water so had a vested interest in discarding nappies for me (and only a small space to follow me around in!) .

My sister-in-law always sat her babies on a potty on her knee from about 2 months old saying this is what her mother did. She said that they were ready to toilet train much easier I thought she was bonkers but all 3 of her children were trained before their 2nd birthday. I still didn't try it with my own but each to their own as they say.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)