Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Discovery area

Hi,

I set up an Exploration station last year as a permanent feature and it is still going strong!

I have 3 magnifying glass, 1 magnifying bug-catcher thingy, 2 long magnets, 2 normal small mirrors, 1 concave/convex mirror, 1 set of colour viewers out on the table top with templates drawn around so the children know where to place them back! Then I have 2 sets of small plastics drawers (4 drawers in each) with shells, interesting coloured/shaped stones, interesting buttons, natural gem sections (amethyst etc). I want to add some locks and keys soon. I then add other interesting bits including plants/caterpillars/fish/pine cones/dried fruit pieces etc that I can find that might interest the children. Sometimes I struggle to think up new ideas but there's always something to look at. The children (of course) use the instruments to explore around the room as well! We have similar instruments for outdoor use as well.

Have fun,

Green hippo x

P.S. it is only a half-hexagonal table that I use but it seems to do the job!

• Like 1

cant remember where i saw it this week but liked the idea of small padlocks and keys.....the keys had numbers on them and the padlocks had dots ...so they had to be matched up to find their pair!

we also have wind up toys and spinning tops...also currently some pop up toys that were 30p from the left over stock at Halloween! a box of shark teeth! some pieces of slate/ pine comes and natural materials/ a set of planets! in other words all sorts! anything to start conversation and discovery!. Lots of discovery bottles with rice or water and oil and small toys too.

Edited by finleysmaid

I think I ordered them off amazon. They are not very wide so fit on the table well. I was going to go to ikea and get a set of the wooden drawers (6 little drawers) - I have one at home that I keep my make-up in - but these are slightly deeper so opted for the clear plastic drawers.

Liking the padlocks and numbered keys idea xx

This sounds a lovely idea- we have a 'natural things' table- but is its getting a bit stale now, so jazzing it up and turning it into a discovery area is a great idea ! Has anyone got a photo they could share of their area/ table ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)