Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor play & staff reluctance

trekker

I have ALWAYS stressed that we offer free flow between in and outdoors and stress this with every new parent and at interviews for staff, yet I have practically all my staff in a huff about my insistence that we let children play out in the rain or cold.

The main barrier is that staff themselves don't come prepared to do so!! I bring a proper waterproof, windproof winter, wellies and even bring spare clothes in winter just in case but none of my staff, knowing that they are expected to be ready to support children at play outdoors all year round, come dressed as Id expect them to. I actually recently had staff coming in canvas shoes / trainers with no socks and a small non waterproof coat - clearly with no intention of going outdoors.

We have provided some waterproof / fleece coats (which staff rarely make use of) and staff have now asked for the preschool to provide wellies and waterproofs but I think staff should at least come dressed well enough in the first place.

I don’t believe providing clothing will actually change a great deal - the attitude is ‘If I I don’t want to I shouldn’t have to’....but having made it clear from the start I don’t think I am unreasonable expecting them to comply.

They have been known to pretend not to hear, or simply ignore, children who are asking to go outside or they try to distract them with something else...if I’m on my lunch break they keep the door firmly shut and it won’t be opened unless I do it when I get back...and surprise surprise there is usually a huge rush of children wanting to go out.

I have no problem being out there for the whole session and find I always have children wanting to be out - at times its just one or two ...but I never have a time where children don't want to be out.

Yet if my colleagues venture out (or are asked to) they will, within minutes, be back inside saying that the children 'wanted' to come in as it was cold or because there is some activity or task they need to do indoors...in which case instead of swapping with each other they will just shut the door....end of play!

I usually open the door up again and without fail a child or children will be ready to come out with me...but other staff will stay inside unless I ask them to come out – they don’t self regulate based on the amount of children indoors to out no matter how many times Ive mentioned this .

I don't think I should always be the one who is outside....nor the one to always open up the door.!

I do firmly believe that every child who wants to go out should be able to and for staff to support them rather than try to discourage....

I am becoming increasingly frustrated and made to feel like I’m the bad guy...or just plain crazy!

I need to try to change staff attitudes or clarify expectations. I am seriously considering a rota that states who goes out and when but would rather staff managed this themselves.

Does anyone have any strategies that have worked to help staff feel better about all weather outdoor play and any organisation tips regarding staffing in this context?

Do you provide any specific clothing or a budget towards this?

How do you word your outdoor / free flow policies or even contracts so that staff are under no illusions about the expectations.?

WOW!!!

I can hardly believe what I am reading..................

If you were upfront about the free flow with staff in interviews etc and it states that there is free flow in the policies then your staff need to get on with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A kick up the bum is deserved here I think!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would put up a rota because the staff are not self regulating and then try that for a month. If that is ignored surely you can then take action all be it non compliance on their appraisals.

Our door is usually open all the time except lunch time.

There are only 2 of us in the morning and 2 in the afternoon but we appreciate whatever the weather that the children need to be outdoors!!

The children have waterproofs supplied, and we do have some wellies.

My coat and wellies live at school................. in fact I could do with "home" wellies for when it surprises us and snows!!!

Good luck.

Perhaps you could start this after Easter? New Year new start???

Merry Christmas x

Edited by Scarlettangel
  • Like 2

Start by having a whole day outside. Warn staff and parents that you intend to do it and have spare stuff ready for those who have 'forgotten'.charity shops will have kit, or ask parents to donate outgrown things for the children. Remind staff that it is a requirement to be outside and if children want to be outside then it is the staff's duty to be there too.

• Like 3

I am lucky that my staff have bought in to going outside (i do lead by example as you do ) but i have put a rota in ...staff have a half day session in the garden....they are put on the rota 3 times a week. We now supply waterproof trousers for the staff but they are told that they must provide suitable clothing. All of us now have wellies at work/ waterproof coats/ and a set of spare clothes (usually used more for when a child chucks up on you!!) . Perhaps a meeting is needed to introduce the rota and re-confirm your expectations...get them to sign an agreement! that way you can threaten disciplinary action if they dont comply :o

• Like 2

I like the like of an outdoor day :1b

Maybe the staff have forgotten how to use outdoors as a resource for learning and see it only as a place for the children to run round. Write up some plans or some learning examples to show what the children can learn from digging, kicking a ball, searching for bugs, looking at textures etc. Invite the parents to the outdoor day and let them see the plans too, encourage the staff to engage with the parents about the fabulous learning opportunities outside. Have hot chocolate and toast and stories just before the session ends. :1b

And now I've set myself another task for playgroup!! :ph34r:xD

• Like 2

I agree with all of the above. We use a rota but more in the winter really. This ensures that two adults are outside all the time, but also, we swap after an hour so nobody is out in the cold for more than an hour - so they can't moan! I have provided waterproof trousers for all adults which means they can sit down outside, e.g. sit in the sandpit with the children, sit in the mud kitchen etc. Staff provide their own wellies and coats.

I think Rea's idea of putting a positive spin on outdoor play and reminding everyone why it is so valuable might be a good way forward.

Sorry if it is in the contract / terms then I think it is almost a disciplinary thing....they need to be asked again to comply and explain that it is part of their contract and if after one month staff are not cooperating you will start issuing verbal then written warnings....sorry if that sounds harsh but they are not working to terms they agreed to.

I never understand this attitude....especially if you have boisterous boys, where better for them to be that outside playing while you as the professional keep sticking learning opportunities under their noses without them realising they aren't just playing outside.

Good luck with it all

we have some luurrverly coats (mainly for students) Staff now bring their own or wear the 'nice' nursery ones - it did become a race to see who could get outside first so they got the trendy coat!

we provide a range of footwear from wellies to snow boots, welly socks, ski gloves, waterproofs and neck/fleece wotsits so there is no room for complaint

We've been where you are - we've had the chats of 'well you wouldn't not change a nappy' so why are you not going outside? 'When it's hot you adjust your clothing to keep comfortable...it works the same way the other end of the thermometer blah blah

We've monitored staff who do/don't go out and had 1:1's around lack of motivation.

We warn everyone who starts that we believe in year round outdoor play (extreme conditions excused)

Ask them to have a look at their childhoods -these things often stem from messages they received as a child

Is there any forest school type video's on you tube you could use in a staff meeting - look at the Danes where it is desperately cold - children do adjust over time but they need time and opportunity to do so (not teaching you to suck eggs as you'll know this already!) we had a little girl whined and cried not to go out or to come in after a few minutes (it seriously took longer to get ready then it did to play whilst out) and yet after a few weeks she loved it last year in the snow and she was last in!

tell them they must be out for at least 45 minutes/1 hour in order for the children to reap the benefit

Failing that - get them out and lock em out! <joking> Agree it's disciplinary - they can't just pick and choose what they are/are not prepared to do

thanks for all your replies - and some excellent suggestions.

Ive been outdoors continuously ALL day (except lunchtime) for 2 days running....in wind and rain .... and so many activities happening without needing to be planned so if anyone starts to tell me "the children don't want to be out" or "there's nothing to do when its raining...cold...etc" well I have plenty of evidence to challenge that for a start!

things definitely have to change so I'll definitely start with the rota and a thorough refresher on expectations and reasons for them etc ...then if they still don't co-operate will have to go down the warnings route.

Definitely new year new start on this point!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i have the same problem however in the summer, the kids love to be out and we spend the full afternoon session(we are breakfast and afterschool club) out on the playground, we make sure there are plenty of drinks, shade times and areas, gazebos and tents to provide shade, and encourage staff to move between areas but this rarley happens despite being told this, any suggestions gratefully recieved.

i have the same problem however in the summer, the kids love to be out and we spend the full afternoon session(we are breakfast and afterschool club) out on the playground, we make sure there are plenty of drinks, shade times and areas, gazebos and tents to provide shade, and encourage staff to move between areas but this rarley happens despite being told this, any suggestions gratefully recieved.

perhaps give them a child to track...i don't suppose the children stay in one place all afternoon!

I have a rota and staff do go out. The problem I have is getting some staff not to do the 'crowd control' and allow the children to explore, be independent and just play at their own games. One member of staff continually plays catching games or hide and seek with all the children (no one allowed NOT to take part).

I have asked, explained, told, planned, written the value of outdoor play down in black and white with pictures of good practice, but to no avail. I don't have the time (or the energy as I am teaching the other children and am the FS leader) to train each individual and I sometimes think they are in the job because they think it's a doddle!! Unfortunately, I didn't have any input into who I was allocated and some staff who are not early years trained are unable to see the learning that is taking place when children explore and discover for themselves. I had some input into the practitioners who were to work with me ~ outdoor play would have to have a pretty high profile in the interview process.

I am thinking of tying outdoor learning into appraisals and pushing 'accountability' into conversations from now on.

Edited by Guest

I have been part of a large EY team of 7 (3 classes). The outdoor area was open for most of the day and 2 staff assigned to outdoors each day on a rota. They knew when to open the outdoor classroom, when to tidy away and when to close it.

It worked out at one full day and a half day each, so there was no confusion about what to wear when.

Not everyone was happy, but everyone complied as it was on the rota in black and white for all to see.

Dep head also got involved and monitored when outdoor learning was happening, so this was a good incentive.

Good luck!