Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minimum age a person can pick up from nursery

Does anyone know whether there is a legal minimum age a person can pick up a child from Nursery, we have recently had an older sibling who is 16 come to pick up her younger brother, this was a one off and all the relevant checks were carried out.

Any advice would be gratefully received as i don't seem to be able to find much information.

There isn't a legal minimum age and some children under sixteen can also be parents.

I would have and record a conversation with the parents regarding whether the child is safe with someone younger than 16 so that I could show Ofsted that I had taken reasonable steps towards safeguarding the child I was handing over.

I would treat over sixteens as adults.

Thank you all for your help.

We in the past have had a parent whose child attended the setting who was under sixteen, this was what made me wonder.

Think its a discussion we need to have with our parents/carers and write into our policies.

:D

We always say 16 as well but have never had an issue with anyone picking up. In a pharmacy you can pick up an adults prescription for them if you are over 16 so it must be a common cut off point and a general age that most policies are comfortable with. However I guess there can be a level of discretion for a slightly younger teenager if it felt they are responsible and the parents are happy with it. As Upsy Daisy said perhaps a record of conversation to cover yourself?

• 4 weeks later...

We have a parent who is under 16. We amended our policy wording to say a child may only be collected by an adult (over 18) or by a parent / legal guardian. We think that covers the situation.

• Like 2

Our policy says nobody under the age of 16. Obviously if a Parent of a child was under 16 that would be acceptable, it's a good idea to write it into the policy as a child may only be picked up by someone over the age of .... or by a parent/carer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)