Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

MUD KITCHEN

Morning all!

Well today is the day......................

Our mud kitchen will open!!

I have collected alot of equipment from parental donations and have worked with the children to set up the area but my question(s) to you lovely lot are these -

Is there anything the children can't live without in their mud kitchens?

Is there anything you wish someone had told you, about mud kitchens, before you got going?!!!!!!

Any top tips??????????

I know this will be a work in progress and we will have to see what does and doesnt work and I know setting and sticking to the rules will take a considerable amount of work (for some!!)

Just wondered what your thoughts were on the subject!!!

Have a good day. . . . . .

I've JUST pipped you to the post! ours opened last week :wub:

Had lots of fun. The things the children have 'needed' are utensils (we were donated a few) and we have a cable drum which they are using as a table. They definitely need space at the beginning as they all want to play. We have located ours next to the garden plot so thay have been able to add herbs and leeks to their concotions! This did give us the complication of 'cutting' things...i would love to give them knives but not possible with the group i have at present...so we have given them scissors which work well. Gradually adding things as we go (more writing areas needed) Have one tub trug with water and one with mud.....when used they don't get more (unless im being a pushover) this way they dont just chuck it everywhere. At about 2.15 in the afternoon we bring out a bucket of soapy water for them to 'wash up ' before they go home! Washing cloths or sponges add to the fun.

I think we need to get them to do the "washing up" too! Excellent idea Finleysmaid. Ours are still at the very liquid stage, much more so than the "mud", they like the colour the water goes, but they ideally like to add bits from the garden and stir at the moment. Quite like the idea of getting a blackboard up by it so they could "write up" what is on offer today in the kitchen. They like the ladles and lots of bowls and spoons.

The children had a fab time today!

We started with a few rules but they were really good and because it's new and exciting we just let whoever wanted to play go for it (rather than the 6 which we thought would be plenty!)

At one point there were 10 children totally immersed in the mud kitchen play!

I wasn't going to bother washing anything on a daily basis except perhaps the waterproofs that get really yucky.

Maybe though washing could be a Friday job!

We will see!

We only had water and top soil today. No greenery of any description, perhaps we can add that at another time to enhance the play!

Thanks for the tips folks!!

Edited by Scarlettangel
  • Like 1

The cable drum was next to some road works...i found the chaps working and asked if they wanted it.....They looked at me as if i was mad! NO they said we were going to recycle it...oh that's ok then could you recycle it into my boot! They duly picked it up and waved me off with that slightly oh dear me look on their faces!!

• Like 6

The cable drum was next to some road works...i found the chaps working and asked if they wanted it.....They looked at me as if i was mad! NO they said we were going to recycle it...oh that's ok then could you recycle it into my boot! They duly picked it up and waved me off with that slightly oh dear me look on their faces!!

hahahaahaha!!! Love it!! No other career than early years can evoke such puzzlement!

LOVE your photos Finleysmaid...wel jel of the drum and the work bench/sink!

• 2 months later...

We love our mud kitchen too.

We have a real old microwave but it is too heavy to keep carrying back and forth, looking for a lighter version. any suggestions?

Thought about taking out the workings to see if it is lighter!

just in case you've missed it you might like to look here..........http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/ great info if you are trying to emphasise the learning that goes on ...or trying to 'sell' it to your bosses!

we had our staff BBQ on saturday...i turned around to find 3x 10/11 year olds playing in the mud kitchen :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

We opened our mud kitchen in April and it is so popular. We found some old flour shakers that were clear plastic with screw on lids. I filled them with different coloured water and we ended up having potions, spells and experiments going on. Teaspoons have been a good addition too, they can't move as much mud with those :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)