Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'definitive' Proof Of Advantages Of Pre-school

Steve

Hi all -

Thought you might like to read the DfES press release summarising the latest research on the benefits of good quality nursery education.

To quote the article: "... For the first time research has definitively shown that those children who enjoy access to nursery education before school age demonstrate better attainment at school at the age of seven. Specifically, children with experience of pre-school education demonstrate significantly higher attainment in KS1 national assessments in Mathematics and English compared with children who have no experience of pre-school education.

Moreover, starting early – from the age of two upwards – together with higher quality provision, improves children’s intellectual development at entry to school and up until the end of KS1..."

You can read the full article here. :)

I havent read the report yet but on BBC news 24 a woman with two children said how her daughter had benefited from going to nursery over her son who had ONLY GONE TO PLAYSCHOOL !! :o

Comments like that make it really difficult for charity playgroups, we already have to work hard at keeping children with us instead of them going to the school nurseries. The rest of the report was less biased though. :)

Hey, I'll battle on :D:D

To Rea

All our nursery children used to attend a playgroup before coming to nursery, but since the recent changes they have all closed which is a shame. We certainly notice the difference in the behaviour of the children when they start and because our ratio of children is much higher it is quite difficult to manage with only two staff. We certainly miss our local playgroup and recognise the valuable contribution it made to the lives of our children.

Thank you Mimi - it is so good to be appreciated. :D:D:D:D

We have found that the local schools feel the same as you, that Pre-schools do a wonderful job.

We hope that when the time comes for the children to make that next important step onto 'big' school they will do so happily and confidently, having spent time with us.

Don't you just love it when they come back into Pre-school to show you their new school uniform and to tell you all about their new school. their teacher and their new friends. It makes me feel so proud that we have been part of their lives, even for such a short time.

Sue J

Thank you mimi, very much appriciated, and echo's what the head said during at our AGM today which we held in the school. I think the parents benefited from looking round the reception as much as playgroup did, they were amazed that the children were free to choose and explore and one commented on how like playgroup it is, made me feel really good. :D

It was great to see 'our' children again, I was grabbed in a lovely big hug by one girl and dragged round to see everything and everyone, it was lovely. :D

This EPPE research landed on my desk over a year ago, so i thought it was already 'old' by now! the whole report makes really interesting reading, I think the DFES have been very selective in what they have chosen to report. I think everyone will find something in there that will raise an eyebrow, particularly over different kinds of provision, and number of hours of provision.

Unfortunately I cant seem to find the the original research, which although quite long, is quite a good read.

Anyone kind enough to do a search and add the link for those who fancy some bedtime reading?

You will find all the info here.

Although, as has been said, it's good to know that we are doing a good job I don't feel it tells us anything we didn't already know!!

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)