Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Have You Booked A Summer Holiday Yet?

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

I didn't book anything last year and we went to Barcelona for a 4 day break last minute, it was very nice but I would like a full week.I want to do it properly this year and have a relaxing time . Would welcome suggestions and advice.

Just me and hubby!

Thanks Tinkerbellx

just had to re-book yesterday xD .(long story)

Going to St Konstantin on the 26th of july for 2 weeks.Even got a free child place so really chuffed.

8 weeks to go ,not that im counting. :o

Not going away this year. We kind of blew the budget on our honeymoon last year (New York, Hawaii and LA) so decided not to go away this year. We may go to London for a few days and see a couple of shows/visit friends etc.

I'd definately recommend where we went in 2004 though. we went to a place called Arillas in Northern Corfu. Beautiful place, fantastic local people. A nice small place but not too small. Fantastic food in every restaurant (except the chinese which was yukky!) and some amazing views.

Hi- we always spend a week in the South of France; Bordeaux is a favourite as are some of the areas on the coast there. We usually drive and use the eurotunnel and take the opportunity to stock up on wine!!!!!. For the past few years we have also had a week on a Greek island. Kos is a very beautiful Island and very chilled, we took a boat to Turkey and I had a Turkish bath which was a calming and amazing experience!!! Rhodes was lovely too, but a bit mad for me. All of our Greek holidays were booked using our local Thomas Cook at the last minute; we had some really amazing deals that were very reasonably priced. :o

funny, just spent a lot of today sorting our holiday out....but ours is one of those lifetime ones this year, time to spoil ourselves... we are not going til late in the year so a long wait for us but will be worth it. Suppose visiting relatives is an excuse too as we are off to New Zealand for 4.5 weeks , touring while there some on our own and some with sis and her hubby who live there..and stopover in LA for 4 days on the return flight. Just spent time booking hotels, train and internal flights for trips while there...so we are off for a total of 6 weeks this year, it is part of this and next years holiday so weekends away are our in between breaks.

Otherwise we too love Malta, spend many holidays there, and also Minorca which is only a short flight from here and is a beautiful place...we went in september which is fiesta time and had a great week.

Maderia was a very relaxing time, temp is contant all year round, so whatever time you go it is always hot but not excessive, Lots to see and do on the island.

we tend to look at flights from a local airport and then sort out where to go ..this saves a lot of the hassle of going to major airports and added travel costs. if going for a week this is worth taking into consideration.

Inge

Guest MaryEMac

We are going to Scotland this year to a hotel in the Trossachs. We want to fit in Stirling,Loch Lomond, Glencoe and Fort William. My father-in -law was born in Glasgow and he liked to go to Loch Lomond so as he now has altzeimers we want to take pics to jog his memory.

I would like to go back to Lake Garda. We had a wonderful time there a few years ago, exploring all those tiny quaint villages. I fell in love with a beautiful Italian leather coat in a crushed raspberry colour and nearly bought it but my sensible head talked myself out of it. I still wish that I had bought it. :o

Mary

Guest Wolfie

Well we haven't managed to book anything up for the summer today but HAVE managed to sort out a Christmas holiday - to Luxor in Egypt! I wouldn't contemplate it in the summer - not a heat lover - but our two teenagers are desperate to visit the Valley of the Kings and so I've relented as long as we go when it isn't TOO hot! Would love to know if anyone else has been and has any recommendations??

We love Scotland especially the West coast if you want spectacular scenery. We stayed in a little place called Applecross overlooking Skye and Raasay. The way in was over the highest mountain pass in Scotland. We could lie in bed and watch the waves lapping on the beach - so relaxing! We have also stayed in Pennan, a small fishing village on the north Aberdeenshire coast.

Hi folks,

We do lots of long weekending, as we love this country for it's variety and interest, but last year I achieved my dream and visited Iceland - spectacular, awesome and amazing!! Highly recommended!

Just come back from a week in beautiful Anglesey, two weeks in wonderful Cornwall looming... oh! Brittany is gorgeous (daughter has a house there)!! And yes, of course, wonderful Scotland!

Sue

PS, am off to Stratford on Thursday for a long weekend...and to see the amazing Mr McKellen in 'King Lear' - a real treat, saw him in 'Hamlet' in 1970/71 when doing A levels, and a few years later in 'Edward the Second' - he is just amazing! (in case you hadn't noticed, said Mr M is amazing! :oxD )

We are off to Scotland in the summer-I really don't like flying so tend to stay in UK.

We have booked a holiday house on the banks of Loch Awe which looks absolutely beautiful. We are going with our daughter and her boyfriend and hopefully our son will be with us too. Oh, and the dog of course!!! I am really looking forward to it as I have only been to the west of Scotland once before and loved it.

Linda

Guest tinkerbell

Wow you all have some amazing holidays to talk about.Can't decide though we do like the Greek islands and have done Corfu and Ithaca.We also did mailnlamd Greece and stayed in a village which was like stepping backin time, it was built around a huge tree in a square and everyone would come out and sit around in the tavernas on an evening.Children performed musical concerts under the tree and one evening a funeral took place and everyone stood up as the coffin was carried out of the church..then people threw nuts?? at the coffin? don't know why one of those strange customs.

Lots of stray cats everywhere.

Tinkerbellx

Thanks everyone

no holiday this year, sadly, but last year we went to cyprus and did a short trip to Egypt, visiting the cairo museum and gazing in total awe at King Tutankamun's mask and jewellery...fabulous, second time we had done it and we won't do it again.......

lots of music to fit in though, this week we're off to see Inxs, and marillion, next week marillion again, then the following week it's Glastonbury, where I'm working as a guide in return for a free ticket!

No holiday for me this year either, i do have a couple of weekends in London for some Montessori conferences and will have time hopefully to fit in some sightseeing and maybe a show. Have planned some days out through the summer for Samantha and myself to the seaside and a weekend at the lakes.

Sheelagh -

May I hate you??

Well, too strong, enjoy all you are doing !

Sue xx

no, you can't !! :o ..did I mention we're in for the sound check at marillion's show on Friday??? xD I'll give H a kiss for you ...xxx

Three of my daughters will go to Pony club camp for a week costing £600!!! :o

Meaning no holiday for us this year, well not strictly true, we may do what we did last year and camp in a friends field about 6 miles from home, it was brilliant last year, doesn't sound very exotic but the children love it, no shops, nowhere to spend money, spend all day collecting wood for the fire, play rounders and countless other games, sing songs around the fire, (We did get some complaints from neighbouring village last year, when friends joined us, children all in bed and adults singing very loudly alcohol induced!!) xD

Just being at home is a holiday, I love having the summer holidays to spend time with the children. :(:(:(

Guest Wolfie

Linda, we stayed on Loch Awe many years ago - absolutely beatiful, you'll love it. We'd had a week on the Isle of Arran as well which is also well worth a trip.

We're off boating as usual. we have just moved our boat to Angers and went out to paint it this half-term but the weather was so wet we couldn't get it all done so will have to fisih it it the Summer. We will be boating up to Le Mans and then back and up the Mayenne, in Anjou. Next year we will go through Nantes towards Brittany.

post-1195-1180944367_thumb.jpgpost-1195-1180944336_thumb.jpg

Just come back from a week in North Wales with my 10 year old sons football team!!! :o 10 boys( 10 year olds), their 10 siblings between them and parents...had a really great time. Everyone really worn out but had lots of fun.

Next holiday is to Turkey in the Summer hols for 1 week.... xD

As I grew up with friends in Italy and in Sardinia we tend to there for holidays. Its the only time I get to see my friends. Last year we decided on a very quiet holiday using a friend appartment in the Alps. Have never walked so much in my life but loved every minute of it. out during the day in lovely sunshine and home in the evenings in front of a log fire. Did my Sound of Music bit and loved it. mountain streams and all.

This year I'm trying to get the family on a boat up the Irish Canals and Lakes.

If you want to have a different holiday in very unspoilt surroundings with lovely people then would reccommend Sardinia. Very rocky in the north beautiful beaches and blue sea. I lived in the North on the Costa Smeralda for 6 years and would retire there if I ever get enough money.

The people are so kind and after 28 years I still keep in touch and see them.

For me a holiday is a break away from my own four walls.

And some one else doing the cooking xD:(:o

Guest Wolfie

Our best holiday ever was to Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a bit of a luxury but worth every single penny and I hope that ONE day we will go back there.

I'm going to Barmouth. According to one web site it's known as Birmingham-on-sea, so I'm expecting litter, strange sculptures and cannabis on the bus.

xD

Love my city really :o

Guest Wolfie

Barmouth is absolutely fine! But a word of warning....I trod on a Weaver Fish on the beach there and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, the pain was absolutely excruciating! :oxD:( I had to be taken up to the Leisure Centre by the lifegaurd and then had to plunge my foot into a bucket of water as hot as I could possibly bear to stop the spread of poison!! It was a nightmare...and quite a common occurrence there, the lifeguard showed me his incident book and there were loads of entries for Weaver Fish!! So if you want to paddle, put flip flops or jelly shoes on - they sit on the tide line, just under the surface of the sand.