Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Uniform

Since opening 7 years ago I have spent a fortune on uniforms so you have been sensible for asking for ideas, I wish I had.

1st uniform was yellow polo shirt and a navy blue sweatshirt ( for colder weather, or to wear over the polo shirt) I couldn't get my logo embroidered ( it is a photo of my son when he was 3 yrs old ( now 23 ). So mine were screen printed. I had each staffs name on both items, all very inclusive and valuing the individual until a member of staff leaves. Imagine the job advert. Preschool pactitioner required must answer to the name of Alicia. :wacko: xD

The screen print also faded quite quickly.

Next idea was yellow tabards with screen print logo and no name ( own choice for tops but black trousers)

Have you noticed yet my fondness for the colour yellow, brightens up the day, I think. Well these were ok, pockets, as previously mentioned, useful for stuff. ( amazing what went home in them, including pieces of jigsaw puzzles that never returned :o ). Well, they were ok until the summer and the storm bugs decided that yellow was the flavour of the day, the staff couldn't venture outside without being literally plastered in the tiny black mites xD :rolleyes: :unsure: .

So, trying to save money, I decided to dye these yellow tabards, black would be good I thought....they came out the washing machine a strange Kahki green colour ;):ph34r: , so they are now demoted to be used only for messy clean up jobs.

Went a year with no purchased uniforms but staff were expected to wear light blue tops ( of their choice) and black trousers.

September 06 I changed my uniform logo, but not on leaflts etc, to have embroidered logo on slim fit polo shirts, a choice of pastel blue or pastel pink ( no more yellow , they said :( ). These were fine but have shrunk a bit ( or have we put on weight :( ). Just 2 weeks ago I bought pastel pink and pastle blue vest tops ( remember it was sunny then) from Matalan ( at 2.99 each), I would like to have these with an emboidered logo, or maybe get embroidered logo badges to sew on them ( anyone know a supplier of just embroidered badges???)

The staff wear their own tops to work and change before they go home, I have 20 tops available ( 3 staff per day) and I take them home and wash them on a weekly basis. the reason for this is because when I bought the new polo shirts in september a college student took one home, never to return. :ph34r::ph34r:

Staff are encouraged to wear black trousers, I personally prefer to wear skirts ( bosses perogative). I don't allow jeans.

The parents commented on our new T-shirts, as did some of the children, saying "you are the same" :(

So that's my uniform history. Let us know what you decide. I think it's a good idea to get staff ideas and opinions on design / colour etc.

Peggy

well we have tried having a uniform, we had the aprons, polo shirts and fleeces, staff found the fleeces very uncomfortable, the said they felt bulky and had a habit of riding up when you are doing activities. Staff just weren't happy, we have now compromised and everyone is happy.Staff were all given £50 to go and but any tops they liked within reason that were navy, we then supplied them all with name badges to fasten on to their chosen clothes. At least evryone is happy at the moment, good luck with what you decide.

Thank you Peggy- I love the sound of your logo by the way!

Sim I did consider a uniform allowance given with one hand and a dress code policy in the other!

I've been looking around and this weekend have looked at more women's top halves than my husband has - which is quite an achievement I reckon!

I can't stand the black trousers some of them wear so in an effort to get rid of them I'm thinking of

cargo pants or skirt- not sure on colours

and then a blouse with the skirt. (blouse will be fitted and is one of those ones with the roundy bottoms and sits on the hips)

or fitted rugby tops/t-shirts with the cargo pants.

The tops will have our logo. Not sure about what to wear when it's cold?

Just wondering if that's a bit too casual and a bit too smart? arrgh?

Maybe I'll just write a policy!

It needs to be something that suits all sizes and ages I think- for example I would be upset if someone wanted me to wear cargo pants for work ( fine for the young/ish and slim) or a very fitted top that required a lot of ironing. Needs to be quick drying and low maintainance.

Just make sure that the trousers, whatever they are, dont show the thong. It's not nice, and I personaly dont like seeing half a midriff either. Old fashioned? Moi?

I once saw the bossoms of a work collegue when she leaned forward and wasnt wearing a bra :(xD:o Again, it's not nice :(

So I have definite likes and dislikes, especially when we're working with other peoples children :(

Not sure about cargo pants, but then I'm on the wrong side of 40 yrs for them ( don't scream me down all you 50+ yr olds who like to wear them :o )

Our polo shirts / T-shirts are obviously short sleeved, I always suggest staff wear a cardi or zip top for changing temperatures. Our hall can be quite cold on arrival but soon warms up.

attached my son Ellis aged 3 yrs, enjoying a song and dance at preschool. xD

Peggy

post-3604-1178652618.gif

I would hate to have to wear a uniform but then I am a teacher in a school so probably very different. Also our school is very relaxed in dress code so some days I go very smart and other days I wear jeans and trainers, depending on what I am doing - if I am doing messy play/ outside or if I have a meeting etc.

However, I would like to have outer clothing provided as then it would be my choice to wear it and coats can be expensive esp when you consider that I wouldn't wear a coat to school that I would wear at home.

In a nursery I worked in way back we had polo shirts in different colours with the logo on (Asquith nursery) and then dark coloured trousers. There were mathing jumpers too. This was fine and we were given the uniform - would have resented having to pay. I don't think you can realistically provide trousers as they wouldn't fit everyone and would probably be uncomfortable. Why not just suggest dark trousers/skirt? What don't you like about the staff's black trousers?

We have tabards we never used to but we bought them last year to save our clothes more that anything. I got some t-shirt print paper from WH Smiths and I have printed our logo on them. (only £6.00 and still loads left) We also bought our staff a fleecy jacket just because it was so cold.

I don't ask for much in the way of dress code, jeans and trainers are fine but if you read my post on work experience the only thing I ask is they don't moon the parents and they drop off thier children!

Deb

Not sure about cargo pants, but then I'm on the wrong side of 40 yrs for them ( don't scream me down all you 50+ yr olds who like to wear them :o )

Our polo shirts / T-shirts are obviously short sleeved, I always suggest staff wear a cardi or zip top for changing temperatures. Our hall can be quite cold on arrival but soon warms up.

attached my son Ellis aged 3 yrs, enjoying a song and dance at preschool. xD

Peggy

Aren't the leather trousers still part of the uniform then Peggy??

Maz

So that's my uniform history. Let us know what you decide. I think it's a good idea to get staff ideas and opinions on design / colour etc.

Peggy

Peggy - thanks for that! I just emailed all my staff asking them what they would like for our new uniform (with my lovely new logo designed by one of the children!) so that we can all decide together what is best for us all.

Maz

Aren't the leather trousers still part of the uniform then Peggy??

Maz

Did I say I was glad to see you back Maz :o:(:( :wacko:

Yes, leather trousers are acceptable but for some reason my staff don't choose to wear leather, and I certainly can't afford to buy them xD

actually I lost the photo's of my trampolining in the snow when my computer crashed, don't suppose anyone has a copy, can't find it with a search. :(xD

Peggy

Peggy - thanks for that! I just emailed all my staff asking them what they would like for our new uniform (with my lovely new logo designed by one of the children!) so that we can all decide together what is best for us all.

Maz

love to see the logo, and how nice to have one designed by the children. :o

Peggy

Thanks all for all the ideas, I'm ploughing through catalogues and then will decide once in situ... wondering if I should know more about leather trousers...???

Hard wearing, easy wipe clean, fashionable (not) according to my 23 yr old son, best worn in winter, non iron, great for bouncing on the trampoline in the snow, and of course for wet weather play. xD:(

and they don't show thongs, well mine don't because I don't wear thongs :o:(

Peggy

I have visited a possible new nursery to work at xD and I notice they wore: yellow polo t-shirt, fleece ziped top both with name of nursery and staff name, black trousers, shoes/trainers. :o:( They looked very smart, although yellow in summer oopppssss I think I will need to use my special repleant spray to keep the wasps etc away from me. :(

Beth

actually I lost the photo's of my trampolining in the snow when my computer crashed, don't suppose anyone has a copy, can't find it with a search. xD:o

Peggy

I found the topic Peggy but unfortunately the photos are not there. I think you probably removed them when we reached our attachments limit before Steve changed it to limitless. :(