Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ok Who's Got It?

Guest Wolfie

I have heard some criticism of some of the video clips contained on the CD - apparently they don't always show what is necessarily thought of as "best practice" and there are some clips where you get distracted by what children in the background are doing rather than concentrating on the "main characters". I haven't looked at it myself yet, it's just what some people on a course last week said!

Still waiting for mine - Would be interested to know if anyone is booked onto a EYFS course yet - I know it isn't compulsory until Sept 2008, but once we have been briefed, surely we can impliment it?We're updating our planning and it seems sensible to update it with EYFS in mind.

I have been given details on the new training already, dates and venues just got to get booked on. One person per setting is allowed to attend.

Dasher 5.20 in the morning??!!! have you been up all night reading the new stuff?!! or stressing that it has not arrived yet!!??

Still waiting for mine - Would be interested to know if anyone is booked onto a EYFS course yet - I know it isn't compulsory until Sept 2008, but once we have been briefed, surely we can impliment it?We're updating our planning and it seems sensible to update it with EYFS in mind.

Whilst you could think about the EYFS whilst updating your planning, don't be using the headings until September 2008. Ofsted have categorically told us as a local authority that they will still be inspecting against BTTM and FSC until August 31st 2008.

Guest Wolfie

I understand exactly where you're coming from Running Bunny but it's very hard not to think ahead about how things will need to be tweaked in September 2008 isn't it? Hoepfully when we've all had the training it will become apparent that really not very much is going to be different at all and it might just be a case of changing headings/wording in our paperwork?

Has anyone got their hands on a hard copy of the EYFS yet? Still Waiting here! I know you can look via the net, but I'm of the old school and much prefer to have something to hold and read! Just wondered why such a delay - surely the publisher's must have been given some indication of the demand expected?!?!?!

yes, mine came yesterday.

Ok I was joking when I said I would most likely recivce my copies on Friday, well.....they have arrived this morning as perdicted. :o I will look at them and make sure that the packs are correct, then I will have to get some laminating pouches and do the all of the cards, oh plus studying also. xD

Beth

Remember that you've got til September 2008 Beth...no immediate hurry!

Yes what I mean is that I have around 18 monthish to complete year 2 and laminate the cards and get my head around the new framework. :o Umm I had a quick look at the books they look good, easy to read and simple to use.

Beth

I got mine this morning too, looks interesting and i shall have a read, although its reassuring to know we have until 2008 to implement it.

Dawn

Hooray - I've got mine this afternoon. A lot clearer than all the other documents, but I see what you mean about the flimsy cards. Everyone keeps saying don't worry - you've got til September 2008 before it becomes mandatory, not long to get everything finely tuned especially considering we're nearing the end of this academic year, have six weeks off for summer hols - time seems to be flying by at the moment.

I understand exactly where you're coming from Running Bunny but it's very hard not to think ahead about how things will need to be tweaked in September 2008 isn't it? Hoepfully when we've all had the training it will become apparent that really not very much is going to be different at all and it might just be a case of changing headings/wording in our paperwork?

I understand where your coming from Wolfie, in terms of child development, however it is written it still occurs in ways that we have practiced since childcare and education began, thus your comment 'not very much is going to be different' makes sense. However, if this becomes the case does this then mean that there has been a very expensive, extensive lot of work done to produce the EYFS documents, legislation etc with the outcome being just changing headings/wording in our paperwork. :o

Rather than us all worrying about how we will record things such as planning and assessments, I think that this is the time to be seriously looking at the principles of the EYFS, and the legal requirements in terms of how 'formal' early years provision has and is further becoming, how much is mandatory compared to previous years, how ambiguously requirements are written which will affect interpretation and therefore inspection outcomes. These are the issues I am most concerned about.

What does / will it all mean for the child? rather than what does it mean for the adult in terms of 'administration'.

I really hope that a lot of the training focus will be on values, beliefs and attitudes, the hidden curriculum and how our values, beleifs and attitudes as a society and as individuals will impact on every young childs early childhood years.

Peggy

I got mine yesterday xD ! I wasn't able to calmly look at it, since we had our school's Annual Gala Ball last night. We had a lot of fun :( !

Today we went to the supermarket and then we've been cleaning a bit.

I will slowly read it and try to meditate carefully on this new document. I like the fact that it is 'compact' and one can easily take it from one place to the other.

I am still concerned about the ratio fact. I cannot understand why they don't take in consideration what has been proved in other countries who end up having the same or highter academic results later on. Look at the fact of the video presented in Teacher's TV, the one of Sweden. For example, children in Grade 1 wouild be those aged 6 or 7 at the beginning of the school year... in September. Only then, children would start having 'formal' teaching. If the results are the same, why to 'compete'? Why do our 4 and 5 year olds have to be 2 years ahead of other children in reading and writing compared to other countries, when later on they will be at the same level :o ? Children become a lot more verbal and communicative at this age and we should be focusing more in listening-speacking-communicating-negotiating.

Let's see what happens.

Guest Wolfie

Well can you believe it...the first copy of the EYFS has appeared on Ebay!!! Someone must know just how desperate we all are to get our hands on a copy! It's a real bargain......£25!!!!!!! :o

Guest Wolfie

I just typed in "early years" because sometimes there are some quite good books on there....and it came up!!! :o No other reason, honestly! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)