Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Good And Bad Experiences In Training

I come out as a Read/Write, but maybe that is because while taking it I was thinking of all the great things that I had learnt from things that I have read on this site :o

Guest tinkerbell

Fascinating thread.recent training on the LEA Foundation training reading and moderation courses in my LEA have been a waste of time I picked up more from the lancs LEA powerpoint on reading !What makes it worse is that the advisors say one thing and they do not liaise with the other LEA advisors eg early years will say do not use PIPS or any other electronic assessment in reception then the ICT advisor will tell a room full of HT how good PIPS is and he used it in Lancashire.....so I have to speak out and say not in this authority matey!

I do like to be able to have an opinion in training sessions and am now at an age where I will ...most good trainers will listen and act on what is said...this is not heckling but constructive comments from an experienced practitioner....

I really get fed up with training where you are given a sheet and then read to as Marion says boring and waste of time.

Been on excellent training at YPO (yorkshire purchasing office) Ros Bayley,Gervase Finn,Max DeBoo, all were excellent because they engaged everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my experince from todays safegarding childrens course. Ermmm 'death by handouts' spring to mind as one person said. :( I have lots of paperwork, some useful some not. We had a main handout with all the course presentations in it. xD It was a long and heavy day, I nearly fell asleep this afternoon as it got very repeative reading from the handout litercally word for word. :( This afternoon last session was very heavy on one particular aspect of child abuse, well what interstings fact to learn, oh with a video at each end not very nice to watch. :o

Anyway Rea I hope you are enjoying your course. :(

Beth

First day was last week, this weeks is cancelled due to tutor going into hospital.

The reflective journal should be fun, she gave out a load of handouts right at the end of the session and now I cant be bothered to read them. Hows that going to look in the journal? :o

Rea, are you doing the City & Guilds 7302? It sounds just like the course I'm doing.

I need to do a half hour micro teach and we've been told to do something totally unconnected with our teaching subject. That's thrown me a little as I was going to do something about communicating with children as I could make it very interactive. Does anyone else have any brilliant suggestions that would enable me to get at least 5 methods of delivery in my half hour??

Wow Miss behaving, you've taken me back in time, just racked my brains for what I did on my micro teach in wait for it 1991 xD

I taught the group how to play a chord on the guitar, I can't believe I remember this :( . I wonder how many of my then students would remember if reminded :o I made a model guitar neck for each 'student' and showed them how to place their fingers to make the chord

can't remember all the methods, but I would think;

1/ introduction

2/ demonstration

3/ practical ( pretend - ie: role play)

4/ practical for real, they all had a go on my guitar

5/ a hand out showing a variety of chords they could learn at home.

What are your hobbies? How about a bit of IT, how to produce a poster on computer? cooking?

ooh, just thought, I have just learnt how to make scrumptious smoothies, now that might go down well, I've done it with the children at preschool they loved it. :(:(

Peggy

Thanks Peggy, you've given me some food for thought! I did think about IT but there are no computers in the room we're training in so I didn't think I could make it that interactive. I'm currently toying with the idea of teaching everyone to assemble a horse's bridle as no one else is likely do choose this - but this may be dependent on whether I can find my old riding equipment in the attic! I thought I could do a demonstration then get students to work in pairs to try and assemble their own bridle (using written instructions)

A colleague suggested wiring a plug but the method I use to do this is hardly technical - the blue wire is 'BL' therefore goes bottom left, the brown one is 'BR' so goes bottom right and anything left goes up the middle! :o

Yes, miss Behaving, it's the 7302. :(

The micro teach is my biggest hurdle. I dont know enough about anything that I could 'teach' to someone else.

We havent been told emphatically not to do it on childcare, but the gist is that it would be better not to.

It has been suggested that I do something on gardening, but all I do is plant the seeds and wait.

Everything I do is related to childcare.

The only thing I've got very slightly in mind at the moment is the tale of my great grandad who was killed in 1945. We've been digging into his war time story and found some pretty amazing stuff we were unaware of. But, is it interesting to other people?????

Hope you find something to do Miss Behaving. I'd be interested in other peoples ideas and suggestions.

Pretty please :(

I really should sign up at a college to learn something :oxD

Oooo fascinating topic, know I'm a bit late though!

I'm a trainer and I was pleased to read that what I do is generally what I do. I rarely use OHPs and never power point, it doesn't help you engage with the people on the course. I want people to be involved and include as much hands on practical as I can. Group work is very important, and often gives people a chance to talk to other practitioners which they like.

If you know your subject, belive in it and are passionate you don't read form notes or a text, it is there in your head.

Funny as I was typing this I had an email telling me that some workshops I delivered at nursery chains conference recently were the highest % scored out of all the workshops and everyone was buzzing with ideas - what more could I want!

I just wanted to say about ice breakers, I just get people to introduce themselves by saying their name, their setting, age group they work with and if there is anything they hope to gain or any particular reason they are attending. I do this as it helps me to know the ages people are working for and it just sets the scene and makes people feel included.

Rea,

Maybe you could do it as an 'introduction to researching your family' type thing? I'm sure it would be of interest, it's actually of historical interest these days - although I had a ration book as a baby :o

Sue

Sue, do you ever give bad advice??? :o

I thought about what you suggested for my microteach and it suddenly seemed the only possible way to go.

My grandad wasnt your regular hero, but he and all the crews did an enormously frightening job day after day.

It's a subject I can get really passionate about, especially as they get so little mention in the grand scheme of things so hopefully I can get their story across to others. xD

Bless you!

I never suggest I've got the right idea!!

My father-in-law was a bit of a hero, he was ditched the day before D-day, as a Glider pilot, so was then left vulnerable - was a POW - so a bit of history!!

You never know - you go to it!!

Sue xx

Training is so much more enjoyable when you can get involved in discussions which bring the subject matter to life and relate it to situations that you yourself really know about and have experienced day to day. It's always said isn't it that you're likely to learn as much from other people on the course as from the tutor themselves? Is that the sort of comment that you're after? :o

And as a tutor I always tell my students that I learn as much from them as they do from me!

Maz

With regard to the dreaded icebreakers, one of my colleagues gets her students to say their name, followed by one thing they have achieved in the last year. To get them going she often starts them off and is always amazed at what they say: from "I ditched my lousy husband" to "I ran the London Marathon" to "I lost five stones".

She feels it enables the group to gel together whilst reminding themselves of what a powerful bunch of (usually) women they are!

Maz

Maz,

That's how I remember one of my most powerful learning experiences beginning, that self-affirming thing. When I was a trainer I would often use that approach

I would recommend it!

Sue

Guest MaryEMac

Had my 2nd session of BTTM advanced training today. Walked into the room,sat down and looked in my pack, oh no :o powerpoint. Luckily the tutor said that we would whip through bits of this as she didn't want us to suffer ' death by powerpoint '. Phew what a relief. It was a good session and we have a month till the next session but we do have homework.

Mary

Not a visual learner then mary? :(

See, I have learnt something on my course xD

And I tell you what, I've got another one to add to the list of what a tutor should do...Find out what we should be doing!!

This bloody microteach is going to be the death of one of us.

The story now is that we have to do it on a childcare related subject. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)