Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Launch Link

Steve

Is anyone else having problems opening the 'Guidance Notes' today for the EYFS? Yesterday was easy could browse and download all except Unique child 1 - but just been on and my computer keeps telling me it can't read come of the pages?!?!?!ARGHHHHH - just when I've got time to do some browsing it won't let me. Is it me?

Thanks Marion - will try that link after tea (if time allows) - planning meeting tonight. Your link certainly looks different to the one I had originally.

I phoned DFES today and am not sure what I am going to be sent I was told EYFS ORDER NUMBER 00012 is available and will be with me in about a week but to phone back next week if I want EYFS ORDER NUMBER 00013 as this is not yet available . Can anyone enlighten me

Well, if i didnt always have to do things the hard way, it would have been that one :o , but i do so....this is the one i used.

publications.online@dfes.gsi.gov.uk

if i dont get a reply i will phone up to confirm :)

Ok somethings occured to me. :o What have we really ordered? The pack or something else like a lealfet, I was reading something else on the internet and it does say all pack are to be distirbuted via LEAs. I wonder if this is just for settings or for settings and individuals?

Beth

Not sure about that, Just been onto the teachernet site and the packs are officially on the order list. Although it does say they are not in stock but will be distributed as and when they arrive.

I think all setting will recieve at least one pack (just thinking back to the B23) and then its up to us to order them, and they are probably working the presses overtime. but so long as everyone requested the "pack" then im sure thats what will be sent. :)

Ok somethings occured to me. :o What have we really ordered? The pack or something else like a lealfet, I was reading something else on the internet and it does say all pack are to be distirbuted via LEAs. I wonder if this is just for settings or for settings and individuals?

Beth

As an LA Development Officer, we were led to believe that we would receive copies of the packs at the end of the month and we could order as many copies as we wanted to distribute to settings as part of the training roll out. Poviders would then be able to order copies from Prolog at a later date.

We weren't aware that the info was going to be posted on the internet as there is the same danger as when BTTM was launched in that providers will all approach it from different angles and we will end up in the same mess that we are in now with planning questions still be asked five years after the document was launched.

However, I also see that it is useful to have the guidance and cards at this stage so that practitioners and advisors like me can start to familiarise themselves with the contents, layout, jargon etc.

JUST DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH IT YET!!

(Sorry to shout, but I still don't think that everyone - not on here - has got the gist that this isn't statutory until September next year!)

Can't wait to see the training guidance....

Guest Anne Savill

Just to echo Running Bunny - I too work for an LA Early Years Service and we are being sent copies for schools and settings. We are holding briefings for people to come, have a first look and take away their copy. We will also have info about training over the coming year.

The decision to distribite via the LA was a central one, so I am suprised that they are also sending out copies..... Do ring your Early Years Service and ask them how or when they are distributing copies.

Just to echo Running Bunny - I too work for an LA Early Years Service and we are being sent copies for schools and settings. We are holding briefings for people to come, have a first look and take away their copy. We will also have info about training over the coming year.

The decision to distribite via the LA was a central one, so I am suprised that they are also sending out copies..... Do ring your Early Years Service and ask them how or when they are distributing copies.

Hi and welcome!

Glad it's not just me that thought this - I was beginning to doubt myself!

We are supposed to get our copies by the end of next week, so things should get into full swing after we see the training briefing info...

Just opened my new Surestart magazines which arrived today and out fell a booklet about the EYFS. It looks quite interesting - I'm wondering if that's what we've ordered tho?!

Running Bunny i dont think many people will be putting the new eyfs into place yet but if anyone is like me and need to read then re read and then read again for the information to sink in it may help having it earlier. The sooner i recieve the pack the easier it will be for me to understand the training when offered. Plus i can take my time over the year to get a final working document in place for next year.

BUT i do understand your concern as some settings don't listen and will put in place before it's time.

Running Bunny i dont think many people will be putting the new eyfs into place yet but if anyone is like me and need to read then re read and then read again for the information to sink in it may help having it earlier. The sooner i recieve the pack the easier it will be for me to understand the training when offered. Plus i can take my time over the year to get a final working document in place for next year.

BUT i do understand your concern as some settings don't listen and will put in place before it's time.

You'd be surprised, Lou!

We had one provider who liked the layout of the consultation document, she started to change her planning straight away! Now, I know that is not reflective of the majority of practitioners, but there are the odd one or two out there that get hold of a new idea and 'go with it'.

I'm fully in support of releasing it now so that everyone can fully read and re-read and understand all the requirements and judging by the size of it, that's going to take some doing!

As a Development Officer, we want to ensure that ALL providers are being given the same message (preschools, childminders and day nurseries) and are consistent in planning, observing and assessing against the framework. If people have too long to mull over the documents, they could start to think of ways that they would implement it using existing BTTM/FS ideas and this may not be the message from the LAs and would end up in a mass of confusion, just like when BTTM was launched (and planning issues still haven't been resolved either, years down the line!)

My message would be - get familiar with the books and cards, but don't think too much about how to actually implement it as training is going to be provided which will tell you how best to do it.

I work for an LA, and when a colleague phoned on the 30th March to see where the copies we had ordered and had been promised in March had got to, she was told there was 'a delay', but there was no indication as to how long the delay would be! Why am I not surprised??! :o

Running Bunny I can understand your concern and that it is best if we wait for training, however I think it's useful to read and re-read as I for one take a while to 'learn' new jargon.

I think it will be inevitable that practitioners will begin to visualise the EYFS in their own setting and that the trainers will need to keep this in mind.

Is the training package written by DFES? I'm curious because I found BTTM training too basic for me yet useful to others, I do hope that the training enables lots of debate, sharing of interpretations to enable clarification and understanding rather than an LEA's interpretation of the documents. Interesting times ahead, eh :D

Peggy

Running Bunny I can understand your concern and that it is best if we wait for training, however I think it's useful to read and re-read as I for one take a while to 'learn' new jargon.

I think it will be inevitable that practitioners will begin to visualise the EYFS in their own setting and that the trainers will need to keep this in mind.

Is the training package written by DFES? I'm curious because I found BTTM training too basic for me yet useful to others, I do hope that the training enables lots of debate, sharing of interpretations to enable clarification and understanding rather than an LEA's interpretation of the documents. Interesting times ahead, eh :D

Peggy

I agree Peggy, that it takes time for new jargon to sink in and as I said in an earlier post, I am fully behind the decision to release it now - I want to see it too! I'm just fearful that some providers or Local Authorities may try and give it their own spin before the 'official' training is rolled out. It takes a lot more to undo bad training than to wait to be told how it is supposed to be delivered.

The roles of the LAs in this is to use the training info that is sent with the first batch of packs (which, we haven't got yet :o ) and devise a training package around this. Now, whether that is going to be a series of briefing/introduction sessions then follow ups around different aspects of the pack or just a whole day 'blitz' we don't know yet - this is where it is all open to interpretation and I get worried. As all childcare professionals have to be trained on this, there is going to have to be some careful planning as the needs of a playgroup, private day nursery, maintained nursery and childminder are very different - I think that is the immediate challenge that is going to face local authorities. Where I work, we have over 250 childminders alone... we're gonna need the whole 18 months to get this one right xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)