Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Job!

I have been co-managing my preschool for 7 years now. For the last few months I have been thinking about finding myself a new challenge, and I have just accepted a job as a Portage Home visitor, working with special needs children and their parents in their homes.

It will be a huge wrench to leave the preschool that I has been a large part of my life, but I feel it is the right decision. I am leaving the preschool in a very strong position with excellent staff and my very organised co-manager in charge.

How about a new forum area for Portage Home visitors, Steve - are there any others out there?

And then today I had confirmation that I have met all the standards for Early Years Professional Status.

What a week I've had!

Carolyn

Carolyn! Congratulations on the new new job. It sounds really exciting. I too have been managing my pre-school for more years than I care to admit and its great to know there is life beyond these walls! I am sooooo impressed with EYPS too! Go and celebrate - you deserve it! (plus with your new job you can now afford it - we pre-school people only get pocket money!)

I've always thought that would be such a lovely job. Well done - let us all know how you get. It'll be full of rewards I imagine.

I've moved this into SEN. congratulations on your new job. Afriend of mine had a down's syndrome child and she was supported by a Portage Visitor and she was thrilled with the support she and her daughter received. so much so that her husband trained as a visitor. I think that we will al be very interested to hear about your new job. support for chidlren and families is something that is really needed, not just for SEN ut for children at risk.

Steve there is a link here

Guest Wolfie

Ooooh, congratulations Caroline, what a great job! I did the Portage training back in the 80s when I was in South London and loved every minute of it. We've moved around a lot since then and there never seem to be any Portgae jobs around - maybe it's because the people enjoy them so much that they never give them up!

I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable and rewarding job for you. :)

Congratulations on the Portage home visitor job Caroline. At Pre-school a while ago we had a little boy who was supported by a Portage home visitor and the whole family were very very pleased with the support she gave them. Congratulations again and let us know how the job goes.

Sue J

Well done Carolyn New Job and EYPS

I agree with Ninafox its hard to leave our comfort zones (ive been in mine for 9 years) and to leave a great team of staff to take on a new challenge its a big step

Portage forum sounds good ....

just out of curiosity Carolyn, how long did it take to achieve the EYPS?

Thank you all for your good wishes! I can't celebrate with my husband as he is on a business trip for two weeks :o I'll have to celebrate when he gets back.

About EYPS, Alison, I began at the beginning of October on the validation route. I had the setting visit (which is the last thing) at the beginning of December. However I had to redo one task (because I do not have babies in my setting and I had to show more hands-on experience with babies), which Idid in February, and heard this week that I have now met all the standards. All the paperwork has to go through both internal and external moderation once it has been submitted. So it should have been about 3 months but in my case it was 5.

Are you thinkin of doing it? There is another area of the forum which discusses the EYPS is you want more of an idea about it.

Carolyn

Just caught up with this news - wow Carolyn the job sounds so interesting, let us know all about it and congratulations. :)

Just adding my congrats with all the rest - Many years ago I fancied something like Portage - how did you find the job? Was it advertised? Keep us informed - will live out my 'old' dream through your posts hopefully.

Many congratualtions to you!!! You are doing just what I lack the courage to do.....leave my comfort zone and find a new challenge!! You are in the same area as me and I have just seen another Portage job advertised and an Area Senco's too, perhaps I should 'bite the bullet' and see what else I can do!!!

Well done again!!!!

Jenni x

- how did you find the job? Was it advertised? Keep us informed - will live out my 'old' dream through your posts hopefully.

Actually it is quite a story ......The job was advertised back in September or October on Southampton City Council's website. I applied then but didn't get the job (about 40 other people applied I understand), however another vacancy came up recently and as it was within 6 months they did not have to readvertise, they just rang me up last Friday and offered me the job! What a surprise - after 4 months, but I felt I should go for it. I am still getting used to the idea that I only have three more weeks in "my" preschool.

Jenni - is that the Portage job in Eastleigh? I saw that one advertised. Haven't noticed the Area SENCO one though......

Carolyn

Edited by Carolyn C

Yes it is the one in Eastleigh. And the Area Senco is at the top of the list, so must be a recently posted one.

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)