Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Laptop Vs Tower

Hi - picking all your brains.

We have raised enough money with our current fundraising to replace our 'very tired' computer. (Well infact it is very tempremental and some days works others days refuses to co-operate)) In your experience what are the plus points and minus points for Laptop vs original tower and monitor?

The computer is to be stored on a wheel out trolley (shared premises - church hall) so will be moved every day. It currently has open access to all the children (aged 2.5yrs - 4+yrs) so lots of tiny fingers all over the place!!! The computer is for sole use of the children. We do not have internet access at Pre School;, so would be used for CD's and paintbox.

Any suggestions / recommendations / advice really appreciated. Have got the funds but we want to make the right decision.

PLEASE :o

Just discussed this with my husband who's a computer whizz and this is what he thinks:

Benefits of laptop -can take home therefore better in terms of security, portable

Benefits of PC -more durable, easily upgradable, can replace components more easily e.g. keyboard which gets lots of 'hammer' from young children. You can also get very neat systems which don't take up much room now

His advice is to go for a PC -don't know what others think

if children are using it i'd go for a pc - you can replace just the keyboard when it goes wrong from being constantly bashed as they 'copy' you typing, rather than the whole thing.....Sarah x :)

I agree with Kermits husband for young children a PC is better able to cope with their sometimes rough use. We have 2 PCs and I use my laptop to run the IWB a few months ago despite it being out of bounds and hard to reach some little dears managed to remove a row of keys. One expensive repair!

again PC

we have a lap top which children use occasionally, real problems with them touching and poking the screen to show what they are doing or want to do point etc, needs really careful supervision. we had to go that way for security unable to leave it in the hall , and nature of other hall users.

the old old Pc (about 12 yrs old now) is easier we can move or remove keyboard if we want to ours is an old monitor so puts up with lots of touching and poking just cleaned regularly, ours is also very old a hand me down via a parent , have to use older programmes as it is pre pentuim processor but does us well for now. when this goes we will have to rethink our situation

Inge

You can get wireless keyboard and mouse, so this could enable use of laptop if portability is an issue. I use laptop for business side of preschool but not for the childrens use. My laptop CD drive is temperamental and I've already had a problem with the fan, it clogged up and safety programme due to overheating wouldn't let me turn laptop on (£45 repair) , and it's only 3 yrs old :o .

So I would say PC, just for durability alone.

Peggy

just a quick question, is your wheeled PC table at the appropriatte height for under 5's, and if yes, where did you get it from?

Peggy

Same as everyone else a pc. We have to bring it out everyday, same as you, myhenroxasnne.

We have a computer desk and put a child height table in front of it for the keyboard and mouse to go on. The children have to look up slightly to the monitor. It would be great to get a child height computer desk on wheels without paying exhorbitant prices in the catalogues, so if anyone knows where I can buy one I would be pleased as well Peggy.

Sue J

I agree PC but the problem we had was the tower kept getting kicked by little feet, and also the tower didn't take to being moved around so it kept crashing.

to go off on a different track slightly have just got microsoft vista new on my home computer. Whoa!!!!!! it is fun and alot better to look at.

We use a coffee table on wheels for the PC, a dad made it for us and it is just the right height. Also have used a television table as they can be the correct height, but some are too low!.

our Pc is so old that the monitor sits on top of the box!!

Inge

We wheel our PC out every day on a wheeled cupboard. It's the kind you get in early years classrooms, about 45 cm high. Originally it had shelves in for paper, but these are taken out so the children can sit with their feet in the cupboard. It is just the right height.

we have a pc we use at the pre-school, like you we have to wheel it in and out. I'm finding it an absolute pain, the wires keep coming lose, the children keep kicking the tower, it keeps crashing, it crashes every time we have it out. i spend ,most of my time fixing the PC. I would love to know how others manage. We have it on a trolley from Argos but even that now is having problems moving as the wheels seem to have stuck. All staff are cursing our PC at the moment.

just a quick question, is your wheeled PC table at the appropriatte height for under 5's, and if yes, where did you get it from?

Peggy

Hi Peggy - Yes our trolley is child height and so far we have had it 2 years with no problems. Very compact.

We have very limited space in our storage cupboard, and we needed something on wheels too. We ordered ours from GLS Education (used to be known as GLS Dudley) We use 1 or 2 child size chairs with it. It has a pull out shelf for the keyboard and mouse. The main drawback is the tower has to stand on the floor next to it, and after each session we have to move the monitor along the top and lift the tower next to it to transport it as one piece back into the cupboard. This does become a pain with the wires working loose at the back etc. We thought when we bought it that the tower would sit nicely on the lowest shelf but unfortunately the space isn't quite big enough. However the lowest shelf would hold a small printer. (need to be careful of swinging feet though! ours has been knocked at times - but generally children know to be careful)

Hope this helps.

You could get a laptop and plug in an extra keyboard and mouse. If you choose a laptop with a shiny screen (i know very technical) that would help with keeping the screen clean.

I have a tower at the moment but next one is going to be a laptop.

Peggy we asked one of our parents to cut down a cheap wooden computer desk for us. Works a treat. Wires out the back can be a pain when pushing in and out of store room.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)