Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playdough

Hi.

I think American cups are about 4 oz. (may be 6oz?).

Doesn't make a huge amount of dough though!

Intersting that you've used boiling water successfully, Jean Webb, my husband hates washing the dough bowl or saucepan. I always leave it soaking and he can't bear to see it so washes it up! (Works every time! :D ).

Susan

Another idea for playdough or DT is to evaluate rolling pins. we have a large selection long/ short / rough/ smooth/ with handles/ without handles. Children use them and evaluate them saying which are best. It might be that they like the red handles or the patterns some make others may prefer a short one for ease of rolling. Lots of discussions and thought provoking especially.

our children at the moment are making jewelery,

the good old snake!!!the children have discovered long and short snakes make great rings,bracelets and necklaces

I sit and watch as the children rap more and more dough around arms necks and fingers working out how long the snake needs to be to make a braclet or a necklace, its maths!

I can remember doing this went I was little it brings back so many memories

• 2 weeks later...

I made the chocolate playdough last night ready for today. I have to say that I was tempted to eat it myself-it smelt yummy! The children loved it today. We had the Easter and spring cutters out and there was a queue for most of the morning. Most had to be asked to leave so that somebody else could have a turn!!! I'm glad to say that nobody ate any!!!!

Thanks Mundia!

Linda

I made the chocolate playdough too. The children were really excited about it and the playdough table was extremely popular. What sort of cruel trick though......it smelt great but tasted foul! :o It had me drooling all session!

• 1 year later...

I couldn't not reply to these ideas -Geraldine's playdough machine made me feel so nostalgic I'm sure I had one of these as a child.

Nowdays they are more like an engine shape where the "wheels" come off and slot into the front to give different forms.

We sometimes make a big batch of playdough, roll it out all over the table and let the children bring all the toy cars over - they love getting the diggers and rollers on it; the cars get stuck and need breakdown trucks to rescue them; we look at the different patterns all the tyres make etc - next time I do this am planning to colour it brown or grey and perhaps try it on a waterproof sheet on the floor.

This is my first post but only because I've been like a "child in a sweet shop" trying to follow all the topics and not sure where to start - there will be no stopping me now.

Hi, McGregor

Just keep posting! :D

I have to say that I made chocholate playdough myself and it went so well :D

Thanks Mundia on such a great idea

Also I receantly both the mashine you talking about, in the german shop and cost me about £2. I both it for my children at home but I my take it in the setting to share with everybody.

Hi McGregor,

Glad you're finding the site so useful. Everytime I start a new topic at playgroup or want new ideas I do a forum search and there is always a wealth of inspiration for me to choose from. Definately the best money I've ever spent. :D

could try this,

2 cups of flour

1/2 cup of salt

2 tablespoons posterpaint

1 tablespoon liquid soap or washing up liquid

1/2 cup of water.

Mix dry ingredients together in bowl

mix wet ingredients together in other bowl

combine 2 and stir.

Knead until it forms a solid ball.

Got this from a coleague, haven't tried it myself yet but it looked good. Think it is readymix paint they mean. If anyone tries it i'ld love to know how it goes as i don't have a class to try it on now!

We have found that ready mix paint makes the playdough last longer and we get strong colours although we have not tried washing up liquid.

We always use a ratio of 2:1 flour to salt.

• 1 month later...
We realised the other day that we have never shown the children what we use to actually make the playdough.

So when we next made it we let them help us, measuring out and adding all of the ingredients, then mixing it up then of course they got to play with it when it was cooked. Then we gave it to them when it was still warm.

5746[/snapback]

have you tried making playdough in the microwave, the children get really involved, and love watching it change, it makes a really nice texture...

• 4 weeks later...

Will be trying the choc stuff! Some of my staff don't cook it either and we all use boiling water.

We tried adding rice to it for texture but it made it really sticky (the starch??) Has anybody had any success with adding other items for texture?

With regards the gloop - I saw this on another site but I have never been able to get borax. Does anybody know of a substitute?

I also now do not make playdough in a saucepan or microwave. I have discovered that you can just add the required amount of boiling water to the dried ingredients and mix. I put the colouring in with the water. This makes perfect playdough and lasts just as long. It doesn't require all that arm-aching stirring over the saucepan and the bowl is much easier to clean afterwards. Just stir, then bring together and knead with your hands.

The following recipe is the one that I use as it doesn't ask for "cups" as measures. I'm never quite sure exactly what a cup of flour is and too much or too little changes the proportions of the dough. These quantities work really well:

400g plain flour

200g salt

4 level teaspoons cream of tartare

2 tablespoons oil

600 ml boiling water

food colouring

• 2 months later...

I love this topic.

I often make chocolate playdough and the kids love it. But try mixing instant COFFEE in with the flour. The smell and colour is amazing but it makes you crave for your coffee break.

Jelly crystals (or Quick Gel) are also great when mixed in with flour. They come in lots of different flavours and make great colours and smells esp. blackcurrant.

If its texture your after wholemeal flour is good or add some oats.

To experiment with mixing colours we often make two different coloured doughs say red and yellow and the children blend these together and magic! Orange!

At Halloween make dough using black food colouring (its always reduced in the shops). Give the children silver glitter to shake on it. This is always a favourite.

When it's ready for the bin add small bowls of water and flour to the dough table and let the children experiment with making it sticky and dry.

I'm now going to bed as I've spent hours looking through old posts.

nite nite

Nichola

Thanks for that Nichola, I wouldnt have thought of quickgel, do you need more water with that?

Its good to bring up old topics again....with lots of new members and the start of the school year, its easy to miss these brilliant older discussions...

• 1 month later...

Hi, we noticed this problem about a year ago, no real answer, although I think it has been discussed before. All I can suggets is to try different storage methods, ie: fridge or not, clingfilm etc. I do think that some colourings can make the dough sticky, blue seems to be in my head :o

Different cooking or not cooking, our non cook seems less sticky than our cooked.

Also cheaper flour may be the cause, don't quote me on these but failing a full scientific research project not sure if there will ever be an answer xD

Peggy

I know a library assistant who made loads of dough in a variety of colours and it kept for a year in sealed containers in her loft. it was fab stuff too. I could find out how she made it. :D

Now I know the secret, don't play with it xD:(:(

actually hot hands does affect it as well :o

If our dough goes crumbly and dry the children love to mix suncream oil in it ( last years) it smooths the hands ( like moisturiser) and smells great too :D

Peggy

ps. Rea, Id love the recipe. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)