Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Twelfth Night

My tree came down yesterday :o Having visitors tonight and there just wasn't enough room for all the big toys my little boy has been bought and the tree so the tree had to go.

Ours will be snuck out of the building while everyone is out sometime between now and Tuesday. The cat had so much to do with the tree this year the decorations start at about 2 feet up. Its needles are dropping and I want to put the nets back up.

Mundia if I could get away with no decorations I would, over the years they have diminished a fair bit, but the tree remains. :o

I bought a great tree a few years ago. It basically is a spiral cone with a centre pole, stands over 6 foot high. The best thing about it is that all I have to do is unhook the pole at the top and it folds down into a ring of circles, decorations and all and fits neatly into a box until next year. The decorations (including the lights) only need a little tidying up. :D

Mine will go down on 6th, only because it is the weekend. :o

Peggy

the tree is the only bit I still do, only cos I like the smell of a real tree (despite being allergic to the needles) and the nicer memories brought back by the various hanging baubles we have acquired over the years through one source or another. We have a bauble that belonged to my grandmother when she had er very first tree as a married woman and we think its about 73 years old now.

And I expect it will be up for another week yet as we'll take it straight for recycling next weekend.

My nan's tree when we were little didnt collapse like yours Peggy but she did put it in the back bedroom complete with decorations after Christmas and bring it out each year. A bit of a blow to get the dust off and the lights were plugged in. :D

My best tree was a wall poster with a battery pack so that the dozen or so lights on it would light up, the smell of burning was a bit off putting but it did the job :D

Our dec's will be down on the 5th or 6th before I return to school. I remember my brother telling my children when they were young that if you left any decorations up after the 6th, you had to leave them up till Pancake Tuesday, then burn them, spinkle them on your pancakes and eat them! That was why the day after was called Ash Wednesday :o

I have just spent the last hour taking all my Christmas stuff down and to be honest, its a relief. Simon won't be happy because I didn't mention I was going to and it is normally his job, as he is a bit of a scrooge and isn't too fussed by Christmas (although this year he was actually quite jolly!).

I thought it would be easier to take it all down and put it away today as we have family coming to stay over New Year, I have about a million piles of ironing to do, exam revision and assessment stuff to be getting on with, all before Wednesday (well, technically Tuesday, but managed to book that off work weeks ago :o .

Looking at the place now, I don't think I've ever seen it so clean and tidy, but the decs had to go, they were driving me mad!

mine are coming down on monday. If i had more space i would keep them up longer but my front room looks so cluttered, i'm so tempted to take them down now but my teenage kids say not before new year!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if that ski-ing santa sings one more time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everytime my kids go by they activate him!!!!!! oh i sound like a scrooge...... ba humbug!!!!!!

Must mean I am a scrooge too! Took my decs down today, just need to get my man up in the loft now!! My room looks huge now and as if its had a spring clean - bit of a bonus really as with the decs up I haven't been able to flick a duster for weeks - shame really means I will have to get the polish out now! :o

Don't forget to save cards for cutting and sticking next year and our RE co-ordinator has asked us to save all the ones with religious images on them. Surprisingly few.

Hmmm... go back to work on the 3rd, better get on with some planning I suppose - how depressing, have had a really good break and need to get my brain back into work mode. xD

Liz x

I shall take my tree, cards etc. down on the 6th. They have only been up since 20th so I would hate to take them down yet. All my greenary is looking rather dried up now, but as I have some family coming for New Years Day lunch I shall refresh some of it. I have lots of variagated ivy in the garden and it looks lovely around the fireplace and so easy- i just plonk it there and it does it's own thing. I don't use decorations other than greenary and a few bits to sparkle them up. All the cards and candles seem to do the rest and I have a few porcelain Santa's and snowmen which are only up for this time of year so I hope to make the most of them. i still have tree decorations the children made when they were young and out they come. I have some lovely ones I have been given over the years by my TA, some glass and some Crown Derby, a couple of ballet dancers, etc. It became a competition to see what we would give each other for our trees for Xmas. They are really lovely and some very collectable. I always feel sad when everything is down as it looks so bare.

Dad (94) is over here as he is a little better but depressed, so I thought that a couple of nights here would do him good. We have set a bed up downstairs next to the loo. Mum (92) is still in hospital and likely to be so for another week as she can't swallow properly so is having her antibiotics on a drip. The saddest thing is that they didn't get to see their great grand-children, who were over here for Xmas.

Anyway the champers is in the fridge for midnight tonight so i am hoping for a good new year for everyone.

BTW now I'm not working I've loads of xmas cards- first come first served!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)