Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wild Animals, Zoo Animals - What Do You Call Yours?

I'm just redoing some storage box labels. What do you call your lions, tigers, zebras etc? We are in a rural area and if I call them wild animals the children may think of foxes, badgers, rabbits etc. So, do I call them zoo animals? Any advice please.

zoo animals

We have just bought some animals which are a bit bigger they are fantastic about 10 inches in height we put them in the large outdoor sand pit the children love them

Ill stick my neck out and be an opinion of one here then, but I call them wild animals, mainly because I hate zoos, but also because I think its important that children don't think these animals are only found in captivity. I think children need to know where animals really live, and that 'zoos' are not their normal homes. and I sure that most of us use books like walking through the jungle, over in the grasslands, rumble in the jungle etc etc so why define them by where they may see them here?

To me its a bit like where does milk come from.. and the children say tescos.. Likewise where do lions live..in the zoo just isn't right to me.

Safari animals, for the reasons Mundia gave. Also, they may have been to a 'safari park' or if you do certain topics it might come up that you can 'go on Safari' to see the animals in their natural habitat. Some children (or more likely their parents) may have even been on safari (if they're loaded!)

Incidentally, do people make sure they don't put their tigers out with the likes of the elephants, lions and zebra if you set up an area (rather than the children selecting)? Or is it just me being anal?!

We'd called them wild animals, for the same reasons as Mundia, but it's not really worked because we now seem to have things like badgers in the same box! Safari animals sounds like a good solution - I may try that. And you have a point, chocolate girl! It's a bit like having penguins out with the polar bears, isn't it?

I guess thats why 'wild' is a bit umbrella.. after all badgers are wild. If I wanted to distinguish particular habitats I would consider what when (we have a lovely woodland background we acquired many years ago and as selection of woodland animals and birds) but they do get jumbled up and I don't get too worked up about tigers and lions being in the same 'play', although it can produce a discussion bout what lives where especially if accompanied by some non fiction books about animal habitats

Hmm - but only some animals live in a jungle habitat , and would you call animals from polar regions safari? Doesn't safari only indicate the african grassland habitats? So that would rule out Kangaroos and polar bears Oh the trials and tribulations of getting it right!!!!

Could you define them by main continent/country/habitat of origen - african animals, polar animals, british isles animals, oceanic/sea animals (whales etc)...............

or mix them up and have carnivores, herbivores and omnivores

or fur, fin, feathers

it's endless!!!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)