Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Policies

Sorry Alison and X5ara -

I've just caught up with this topic. You have seen our huge stash of sample policies haven't you? (He said plaintively) Are they not really what you're looking for?

Sorry - sometimes I lose track of all the conversations that are taking place here... :o

Steve.

Hi Sara,

There is a good book about writing:

Exploring Writing and Play in the Early Years, by Nigel Hall and Anne Robinson.

All about why play and literacy skills go hand in hand, helping young children gain a better understanding of writing.

• 1 month later...

Jan, a very big THANK YOU for your policies! I try to keep ours up to date and applicable for morning and afternoon sessions. I will print you policies off and discuss them with my Practitioners. Policy writing is not my forte but we have to have them!

Chris

Hi guys

Just caught up with this policy discussion. if it of any use, the Pre School Learning Alliance have a wonderful new document out with all the policies you should need in it. They send you a CD rom and you can just download them onto your computer and adapt if necessary. It saved me loads of time.

Mobbsters

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is relevent to anyone but I am currently having to co create a variety of early years policies for my uni course. I have found a lot of useful links and information on the teachernet website. Also there is a huge variety of policies available at www.icteachers.co.uk/resources/policies but I warn you some are more relevent than others. Many are more suitable for primary strands. Happy reading!! :o

Guest suziees

thanks for that link jay

i couldnt access the ite via your link though so omitted the last bits resources and polices. this then took me to the main site which i then used their links to access all files. there is a lot of files not just policies and some may definatley be useful

thanks

suziees :D

• 3 months later...

Hi, Our chair has just bought a set of policies from the PLA catalogue, I havent seen them yet but they are policies for Ofsted, so they should be relevent to everything we need. :)

• 4 months later...

found this topic whilst browsing- may be continued else where...

( did see Restraint policy, Control Of Infectious Disease(would include HIV, Data Protection Policy)

I am just reviewing my Operational Plan, policies and procedures.

I say "I" but I delegate to all staff, they are shared out, they add any changes / comments then are discussed at staff meetings.

We have identified that we need:

"Inclusion Policy" ie: gender, Special care needs, SEN, English as a second language.

"Snack Bar / Pack Lunch" Policy ie: No nuts, what snacks to offer, expectations re Eating Manners, do they have to eat sandwich before yoghurt, do we all wait to leave the table?, content of lunchboxes, additives, healthy eating recommendations and/or rules....It's amazing the different "values" staff and parents have with regard to food.

Peggy

P.S. Evacuation (fire) policy- does yours include where to evacuate to in the event of not being able to re-enter the building - contact number of venue -will parents know where to collect if you can't contact them????

and we have all had the leaflet at home from the government "PREPARING FOR EMERGENCIES" what policy for this????

Just a quick note about policies. Last year my committee had 3 policies which they needed to write to satisfy last years inspection. I offered to do it for them, which I did and took to a committee meeting for them to look at and change or approve. However, they decided instead to buy a 'policy pack' from the SPPA (PLA equivalent) instead, ditched all our existing policies and signed all their new ones to replace them. At our recent inspection the inspector said they really disapproved of groups doing this and they would much rather see a few lines which reflected what the group actually did. Therefore over this coming year I have 12 policies to rewrite with the committee. :o

Carol, thats exactly what our committee are doing right about NOW. :o They were worried that the existing policies (most of which I wrote after attending training courses ) could have 'loop holes' and we could be sued for something. xD I will take on board your experience and keep copies of all current policies. :D

Hi Beau -

I must say I agree with the inspector and think your committee was asking for trouble. I think it's perfectly fine to make use of existing templates which are then adapted to each setting, but using an 'off the peg' pack of policies is problematic - not least because the requirement to really understand what is in them and why disappears. The policies you wrote would have been custom made for your setting and therefore much more appropriate. :)

By the way - for newer members who may not have found their way to our article on policies, we have a whole bunch of downloadable, editable (in MS Word) examples here. They're not completely comprehensive - how could they be! - but there is a good core of policies there to adapt and consider.

Maybe there should be a policy that all committee members- or chairperson at least becomes a fully paid up member of the FSF.

Policy in practice - To research all policy documents on this site and leave the supervisors/managers to manage daily workload :D:D

Peggy

Will wait and see what committee come up with...but am surprisingly well linked to the real world, so hold no illusions re: their inability to see that, having been on relevent courses, spoken to EYDPC and PLA, I could well know more than they do!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)