Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Policies

We currently use the PLA policies at our setting (we are members), who thinks it worth writing your own? It's a big job which I keep looking at, cringing and forgetting. Twice now I have started making them our own, but giving up because it's such a big job and I have so little time.

The PLA policies are only basic and for "good practice" they should be used as a guideline and adapted for your particular setting. Some of the policies may not actually reflect what some groups do - so what groups do should be written out as their policy.

The National Standards require more policies than the PLA have set out and our group is currently undergoing PLA Accreditation which also requires more policies than they have in their own package!

It does take time but if a job's worth doing........ I also understand that OFSTED are now looking at policies more thoroughly.

Talking of which the National Standards guidance book (the purple-ish one that sets out what the Inspector will look for) is a good starting point and I have developed some of my policies from this.

If you need advice about writing policies your Early Years Development & Childcare Partnership may be able to help (ours are holding policy writing workshops for areas such as SEN, Equal Ops, Behaviour, Child Protection) or you could talk to your PLA branch development worker.

Morning Jan,

Thanks ever so much for your reply. I think you have just confirmed what I have originally thought - so I had better get cracking I think!

I will bring this point up about the workshops, at my next Cluster group meeting.

Thanks again! :D

We've thought of publishing the policies for our own nursery here, as samples of policies that have been inspected and approved - but we're also concerned that policies need to be understood and adapted to each setting, and the urge for some hard pressed settings might just be to copy them and forget about them.

What do people think? Would this be a useful aid or a cheat sheet that might even be dangerous?

Regards, Steve :o

Guest auntielynns123

It would be good to share good practice. If a variety of policies were available people may like a bit from one and another bit from others etc. All policies are in danger of being forgotton about and collecting dust even if they have ownership.

I am in favour of sharing good practice; everybody could learn something!

Why reinvent the wheel?

Morning Jan,

Thanks ever so much for your reply. I think you have just confirmed what I have originally thought - so I had better get cracking I think!

I will bring this point up about the workshops, at my next Cluster group meeting.

Thanks again! :D

As this was our first inspection did not really know what to do so did about half of my own and the rest from the Network file.But they still found one for us do for next year.bullying .As I think of ones I add them last week was fees!How ever many you do they will always find another one!!!! :o

That's fine auntie lynn (:o)

My uncertainty is not about people taking and adapting the policies. But I think the temptation might be for some struggling or new nurseries to just think - oh great, here's an instant policy kit - print them out and forget about them till an inspection comes up.

You can see the problem with this obviously. The policies are there for a reason, and staff at a setting need to have read and understood them at the very least. Preferably they need to have gone through them together and decided what bits are applicable to them and what are not.

So I'm just wondering about the best way of implementing them. I think if we do it right it would be a fine thing to get a policy bank from as many members who want to donate them. In the same way we've started to make observation records available!

Regards, Steve.

I find my policy file just gets bigger and bigger - trouble is we'll end up having so many that it will seem a daunting task to read through and review them. But I suppose it's just writing down our procedures.

I did read somewhere about a Bullying policy (they're 3 & 4 years old!! - what have we come to?), so there's another one to add to my list. For the PLA accreditation I have to write (among the usual) a Curriculum Policy - where do you start/where do you stop; an HIV & AIDS policy (which I originally thought was discriminatory as I don't have a Measles/Meningitis/Chickenpox policy/etc policy but on reflection felt that it might help to combat prejudice and re-assure parents that our hygiene procedures should prevent cross infection of ANY illness); a Record Keeping policy ("We will keep records"!! - in the end just followed and adapted the blurb from the National Standards Guidance)

In writing and updating policies I have thought that it would be great to have one to copy - but then that wouldn't be OUR policy it would be someone else's . It may be helpful for us to list the policies we have written and share ideas or give pointers as to what should be included in a policy.

Went on a 'Child Protection Awareness' workshop recently and some groups have been picked up on not having written into their policy what they would do if a member of staff was accused of abusing a child. Brownie points for me - as I have. Also have incorporated stuff about staff protecting themselves from possible allegations.

Another point is that not only should staff be aware of the setting's policies, but also parents. Ha - try getting them to read a newsletter let alone xxx number of policies. I do now give new parents a copy of a few - as recommended by OFSTED - whether they read them is debatable.

Sorry seem to have gone on a bit here. Must write a policy for "Time spent on Internet"!!

PS to Steve - how do I get my location in? Would be good to know if any 'neighbours' are contribuiting.

Hi Jan -

If you go to the top of the page and click My Controls, then Edit Profile Info down the left hand side, you can put your location in the relevant field. You might also want to put in some personal information about what you do - then other members can see what you do, or what your interests are when they click on your name anywhere in the forum :)

Have a look round the My Controls area - it's got lots of other interesting bits and pieces in it!

Regards, Steve.

It would be great if more people could put their location and personal info in, it IS interesting to know where you all come from! :o

Hi everyone,

I thought (for my own amusement!) I'd list all our policies and codes of practice, then other practitioners could add to it, and eventually we would have a list of all possible ones! So here goes......

*Operational plan (staffing and premises, equipment and general activities, framework for daily activities, staff development and training, induction arrangements for new staff)

* Aims and learning opportunities

* Behaviour

* Child protection

* Equal opportunities

* Parents' and carers' information pack and nursery brochure

* Special needs

* Concerns and complaints

* Settling in nursery

* Codes of practice (health and hygiene; safety; accident and emergency; first aid; fire prevention and fire drills; outdoor provision

Ok :o feel like some adding some more?!

As previously mentioned, I haven't yet written new policies. However I have made a list sometime ago of the policies my setting would need. Sometime ago I began writing the new policies, and when I went to see which one's I had done I've done more than I thought. It's still a lengthy process! Anyway this is what I've planned/done so far;

*Equal Opportunities Policy

Child Protection Policy

Behaviour Management Policy

*Health and Safety Policy

Fee Payment Policy

Children Eligable for Vouchers Policy

Admissions Policy

Settling in Policy

*Aims and Objectives Policy

*Complaints Procedure Policy

Asthma Policy

Educational Outings Policy

Emergency Contact Policy

Special Needs Policy

*Confidentuality Policy

Bullying Policy

I have written the one's which with an asterisk. :o

Ah Steve, you may have spoken in jest but for my PLA Accreditation I have to have a Record Keeping Policy - did it last night and included all the records, policies, procedures listed in the National Standards Guidance under Standard 14!! (ps thanks for instructions re profile - seems to have worked)

Are you ready for my policies/procedures? Here goes - Admissions; Managing Accidents/Incidents; Arrivals and Departures procedures; Behaviour Management/Discipline procedures (to now include Bullying); Child Protection; Collection of Children (i.e. if parents late); Complaints; Confidentiality; Equal Opportunities; Fire Safety procedures; Health and Safety; Sick Child; Adminstering Medication; Missing/Lost Child; Outings; Risk Assessment; Working with Parents; Settling In; Special Educational Needs;

plus what I'm working on for our Accreditation - Curriculum; Employment; Equipment; Record Keeping; Staff and volunteer induction and in-service training; Student placements; HIV and AIDS....watch this space!

The National Standards infer that the Court of Human Rights say we should keep records for 21years and 3months! Where would you find the space? What do others think is realistic for the length of time records should be kept e.g. registration forms, etc.

P.S. Becky where did you get a 'Fee paying; Vouchers (?) and Asthma' policy from? Just a few more to add to my list!!

Hey Steve - if we get enough contributors could you collate all our policies and make a comprehensive list?

Hi Jan -

(I like the avatar by the way. Did you load that one yourself or is it one of mine I just haven't noticed yet?)

OK - many a true word spoken in jest. A list of lists eh? xD

I'm really not too sure about it being possible to have a comprehensive list - I'd have thought the list would depend on the setting. And there must be a line to draw somewhere. Would that be, for example a flash flood? Can you think of every possible contingency - would you have anything useful to suggest doing in the event of, for example, a meteorite strike or an alien invasion? But Helen's the expert, so let's see what she says.

I'm slowly warming to the idea of including a sample of every one I can lay my hands on - including the ones Helen listed above (that's easy, I look after her computer so I know where she keeps them :o ), and any that Becky and the rest of you are prepared to donate.

If I get really clever about it, I may be able to work out a way you can submit them yourselves, so I don't have to do anything at all...

Let's see how we get on!

Hi Steve

The activar is one of yours - I like it too.

Couldn't think of right word so 'comprehensive' was not really what I meant. 'Sample' is much better. Most groups will have the same basic policies but there may be a few 'extras' which we may wish, or not, to include but it would be interesting to see the variations listed. Tried to add a signature - see if it works.

Hi Jan,

Because we'd had a few problems with people using vouchers in several settings etc. I decided we needed to write down exactly what was expected of our policies, just to eliminate any disagreements (hopefully!). With regard to the Asthma Policy - we have had a fair few asthma sufferers of recent months and so again trying to formalise a procedure. I thought my list of policies was comprehensive.....until I read yours.

Being an NVQ Adult Tutor - I get to see loads of policies from all different settings, as these need to be included in the candidates portfolio at Level 3 (Early Years Care and Education). :o

Hi Jan,

I was amused to read your post about keeping records for 21 years 3 months until I got my employer's liability insurance certificate this morning. It states that we have to keep the OLD certificates for forty years!!! :o

If that was me I'd have to make provision in my Will!! What a liability for my descendants... " I bequeath to you my pre-school records..." Ha ha (trouble is, it isn't very funny is it. What planet do these people live on?)

PS - forgot the 'Selecting Play Equipment' policy and just looked at another site which has an 'Accreditation' thread to find someone has procedures for "Intruder on premises" - must ask for that one. But read a really good book - but for now forgotten the title and author - by the nursery nurse who was axed a few years ago (can see her face) when a maniac jumped their nursery fence and went wild while the children were out playing. I lent it to someone and haven't got it back.

Perhaps we could set up a new thread for recommended books. I find the 'Good Practice in.....' series published by Stanley Thornes excellent. They cover subjects such as Special Needs, Child Protection, Nursery Management, Curriculum, etc.

Also magazines/publications - Practical Pre-school is one of the best and is only available by subscription.

Keep working hard and Happy Easter Holidays to anyone fininshing this week. Happy Easter to everyone who works all year.

Jan

Hi Jan -

What's the site name for the accredited nursery?

I'm slowly building up a list of initial books we'd like to recommend, and anytime someone recommends one I'm jotting it down, so I'll add yours to it. A new thread would be a great idea. I could do it - but why don't you have a crack at starting one? :D Probably inside the Resources: queries, suggestions, links forum in the curriculum discussion group would be best?

Regards, Steve.

• 1 month later...

policy policy policy do they ever stop adding to the list?

we just had our inspection this week

"good session I cannt fault it" said the inspector

"wonderful SEN, just one thing..... your policies"

please remove the words "mum" from your policies

amend the words social services to OFSTED

and you havnt got a lost child policy?

I can only give you a "satisfactory " this time.....

my heart sank :o

In my setting we have a "Dont let children out of your sight and a keep all doors locked barried and alarmed policy (only joking!!)

there is no way a child can escape but we still need that policy just incase

surely prevention in the first place is better than cure?

what is the most bizzare policy people have come across?

Hi Alison

We were advised to use the words Parent/Carer in all of our policies. Congratulations on getting through ofsteds inspection.

Carol

Toileting seems to be the latest one?!

a policy about the toilets? I will think about it....

next inspection I will have gone through the polices with a fine toothed comb and she will pick on something else ...... I think I would prefer her to pick on the policies

we are having fun with the "Mum" I tried "find and replace" in word to make life easy

I typed in Find "Mum" and replace with "parent"

it only found 1 mum in the whole of the document which is our entire policy file, but it made 13 replacements I thought strange?????

then I read the policies.....

we now have maxiparents and miniparents instead of Maximum and Minimum :D

I love these inocent mistakes the computer makes its like working with a child at times :o

Hi Alison,

I've just returned to this site after nearly two weeks of a hideous 'flu-type thing, and your last post started a new coughing fit which lasted for five minutes!!

Thanks for that; it really cheered me up. Keep up the good work :D

• 1 month later...

finally after some work I have managed to change our policies inline with thechanges requested from the inspector

the teacher mentor was a great help she suggested I contacted my local EYDCP

they proved to a valuable resource as they gave me two disks full of sample policies for every policy I could think of and some I had never heard of!!!

I now have copies of 47 different sample policies Im spoilt for choice what to add and update next!!!!

Now in advance of my next inspection I will have some extra policies added to the selection we already have and hopefully we it wont be the policies that they pick us up on next time.

so if anyone is in need of help with policies they may find that their local EYDCP have sample ones available, not just for preschools and nurseries but also clubs and afterschool groups.

• 2 months later...

i respone to wondering if some nurserys would just print out policies and put them in file .... if they were posted in a format that was read only and note format or setting specific then ppl would have to revamp them to suit or it would be a giveaway they they had just cribbed them from net.... just an idea cos i would really benifit from seeing other policies from other settings...

we r writing our own policies for the areas of learning - as we r part of a primary school and like subject policies for NC we r currently writing one for CLL

- any one have any good pointers for good practice...

ie. i have to write a statement on 'writing' in the nursery class

and the next one we r tackling is PHY Dev... so as this is such a large area - anyone have one i could read over?? not to be too checky... :)

thanks,

x5ara

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)