Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Harvest Festival

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all settling in well to school again. (Only 4 weeks until half term!!!) I was wondering if any of you wonderful people out there have any ideas for a Harvest Festival assembly. Our Foundation Stage Unit and Key Stage One always put on a bit of a show with a few songs etc for the elderly people near by. We are getting very tired of doing the same old thing year after year and wondered if anyone could inspire us.

I'd be really grateful for any help

Thank you in anticipation.

Boogie x

Yeah we used to do Dingle Dangle, and this year we're doing Big Red Combine Harvester.

But, is it just me that doesn't get that motivated by harvest... I've asked if we can do something a bit fresher and more exciting, but every year it just ends up being the children carrying tin on carrots (or something similarly un-perishable) into the hall... sitting on the stage, listening to some religous readings, singing a song... and leaving...

I appreciate what harvest is, and what it means to some people... but how can we make it more exciting and appealing?

If you lived in a very rural location and your children were surrounded by farms you would maybe think differently. One of the fathers of our children at the moment is a farmer and has spent the last few weeks harvesting and ploughing. The little boy talks about it constantly. Every week during Show and Tell we get some sort of tractor or Combine in and all the children are excited by it! :D

We have just learnt a song 'dig that compost'

http://www.rhs.org.uk/education/newsletter...mpost%20song%22

(Only the first bit!)

we also made actions for it which seemed to help children remember. Children are 'performing' on Friday in Harvest Festival, or as one of my children called it today - 'harvest vegetable', which I think is a much more logical name for it! :D

Yeah we used to do Dingle Dangle, and this year we're doing Big Red Combine Harvester.

But, is it just me that doesn't get that motivated by harvest... I've asked if we can do something a bit fresher and more exciting, but every year it just ends up being the children carrying tin on carrots (or something similarly un-perishable) into the hall... sitting on the stage, listening to some religous readings, singing a song... and leaving...

I appreciate what harvest is, and what it means to some people... but how can we make it more exciting and appealing?

We always make broth from the fresh veg we receive and bake bread to eat with it. Veg from the garden are always a bonus as this is our own harvest.

The rest of the contributions are divided. Some are taken to the local church for their harvest festival and we share a service in church the rest are taken to the elderly people of the village by the children accompanied by adults. It really makes some of the peoples day to have a short visit and helps the children think about sharing and caring for others

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new at all of this so please be patient with me. :o

Can anyone help me with some short harvest festival poems for a Reception class to recite at our Harvest festival? I'm getting deperate as I can't seem to find any that might work anywhere.

Thanks for your help!

Some examples of last year during the month of October:

1st week: The Little Red Hen connected to the process of harvest + baking bread at school + Five Current Buns + eat different types of breads (cultural and taste)

2nd week: Handa's Surprise connected with sharing our fruits (so food in general) with others + Kenya + poverty in Africa + prepare an exotic fruit salad

3rd and 4th week: Shopping at the supermarket: Don't Forget the Bacon + The Shopping Basket + K3/Reception visit the local supermarket to shop for the FS Harvest Festival. The 3 groups (2.5 - 5 year olds) prepare a part: K1 decorate the cake, K2 prepare the alphabet with vegetables soup, K3 the sandwiches and share it together during our feast.

A letter is also sent home asking donations of non-perishable food for a program called "Mothers for Mothers", a program that helps mothers in poor economical situation in our area.

If you lived in a very rural location and your children were surrounded by farms you would maybe think differently. One of the fathers of our children at the moment is a farmer and has spent the last few weeks harvesting and ploughing. The little boy talks about it constantly. Every week during Show and Tell we get some sort of tractor or Combine in and all the children are excited by it! :D

My school is v rural too and last week I asked one of the children's Dads to bring his tractor in. You should have seen the faces of my class when he drove it into the playground!! Every child in the school ended up coming out to see it! We are going to be making a large tractor from cardboard boxes on Monday...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)