Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Consultation Docs

OK- stand by your beds - the EYFS document will be released on friday 5th may, so look out for it. It is a DFES document so according to my source should be on the DFES consultation pages of their website. Sorry can't be more specific here. But in all eventualities it will have links from the standards site. Also copies are being sent to LEAs for consulting with all and sundry from their end. So look out for it and get consulting - they want lots of feedback.

Cx xD:(

ps have had a sneaky peek but if i told you how they might have to kill me....... :o

You'll have to wait til friday :(

Edited by catma

Thanks for that - Well lets hope that as many people as possible can reply. I was interested to know how many people replied to all these consultations - and do you know - that the most I found was 694 people and this was more than double of most of the other consultations. So they are not really representative of the workforce at all - half the time the LEA's don't even bother replying - so seems to me that this is tokenism at its worst and the three options will probably have already been worked out anyway. But I will still put my two pennyworth as I think it is important for them to evaluate the views of the people working at ground level, otherwise the early years sector will never move forward and we need to voice our opinions whether or not this will have any effect I think probably not but if we don't do anything then nothing will happen anyway.

Perhaps Steve could set up a separate place for consultations.

Nikki

Here is the link to the consultation page (DFES)

EYFS Consultation

Now do I go and sit in the sun and work tonight, get on with my Operational plan, or read and consult ?xD

Hmmmm.......

Sun 1st ( just for an hour or so)

Have a look at the Consultation

Then Operational plan.

( should keep me busy for the whole weekend)

See my priorities are out the window, being that it's a friday, and it's sunny :o

Peggy

It's still sunny here in cheshire - thought about downloading, printing and reading in the sun - killing two birds with one stone - how much is there to print off?? will it be evening before my printer finishes??

Well, I've spent the last 20 minutes or so trying to download the info to read ( at my leisure).

Informed that I needed to update my adobe, I now have 6.2 with update.

Saved all to a folder on desktop, now I can't open them xD ( will shutdown my computor and try again)

The downloads are;

There is an intro (26 pages-pdf)

PSE (pdf)

CLL (pdf)

Maths problem solving (pdf)

KUW (word doc :( )

Physical (pdf)

Creative ( pdf)

Meeting welfare requirements (24 pages-pdf)

This is new and looks quite interesting, it shows Specific requirements and good practice practitioners should have regard to..... only had a quick glance but at least they show/seperate what is mandatory and what is guidance.

It appears that by placing welfare requirements in a seperate section it is seen as seperate to education, however I haven't read all the info so this is just an initial judgement based purely on the "presentation" rather than content.

Consultation questions (pdf-8 pages)

Then there is a link to a download called EYFS response from (word), well I couldn't download this because my computor asked for Windows 2000 premium :( Which I don't have :o

All this effort and I still haven't actually got to read anything yet, :( is this an indication of what the future holds in terms of "usability" of the new EYFS, I do hope not. :wacko:

Peggy

ooh, forgot to mention section 5 of the publication is about Registration, Inspection and Quality improvement. (pdf-2 pages)

Interesting they've used the term quality "improvement" and not quality "assurance" - there is mention in this section of the use by 13,000 settings of LEA or national organizations QA shemes, but doesn't really say what weight they carry, if any, but reflective practice under certain criteria is seen as part of the settings role within the EYFS.

Peggy

off to try and print and read the actual development areas of the EYFS.

wow thanks for the page counts Peggy - happy reading - will try and do the same - but the weekend is calling . . . .maybe I'll print off a section at a time - it might not look so much to read then???

ps still can't get my new animated avatar to animate though :o

It's still sunny here in cheshire - thought about downloading, printing and reading in the sun - killing two birds with one stone - how much is there to print off?? will it be evening before my printer finishes??

55598[/snapback]

started printing this morning at school and after 'breaking' 2 network printers gave up xD Have got about half I think :o

has anyone managed to read it yet? I tried last night but started to fall asleep!! Looks quite interesting - wondering if the welfare standards etc are going to come in to nurseries in LEA schools? looks to be quite a few implications all round.

Just comparing it with the draft Literacy & Maths documents out at the same time - let's hope they tie together!

It was a nightmare to print off, only 132 pages xD:(

I'm only about half way through. My initial thoughts ( it is difficult to take it all in on first reading :o ) are that there is a lot of "speak" about following the childs lead, childs best interests, play, active learning, etc.

ie: "EYFS requires those who plan and deliver early years provision to put children first; to listen to them and their parents; to observe what they can do; and to make them the most important influence on planning, observational assessment, routines and staffing." (pg 8)

also says no testing during EYFS :)

The developmental stages will take some getting used to, they are depicted by icons previously used in BTTM + 2 additional ones. I don't know how we will refer to these in dialogue with colleagues as they have no name. We could previously state colour bands ( yellow, blue, green and grey). It states clearly that these are not sequencial. (pg 14)

The development stages / age bands overlap because children develop at different speeds.

they are;

0-11mths

8-20 mths

16-26 mths

22-36 mths

30-50 mths

40-60 mths

Section 1 intro Principles, similar to FSC plus some additional ones. Using the EYFS - They use the terms " provider must" - statutory requirement and "provider should" - there is a strong assumption that providers should act in that way, though it is open to them to take different action which will achieve the same result. (pg 4)

for example: Practitioners MUST work closely with parents, both to.............................They SHOULD make sure that parents and carers help to identify their childrens strengths and.....................................

I think these differentiations need to be looked at closely to inform comments on the consultation. for example ( pg 10) it states "Changes of keyperson must be kept to a minimum" I totally agree with this in principle but as discussions on this forum have indicated recently, staff retension is difficult to maintain in the current climate.

another example; "for children who attend more than one setting, practitioners must ensure effective continuity and progression by sharing relevant information and, where possible, planning together" . Again I totally agree with this in principle but how will the logistics of this work? as discussions on this forum have indicated recently, settings have difficulty in organising planning times within their own setting let alone arranging planning with other settings. These will be statutory requirements.

The learning and development requirements (section 3), which it says are not to be used as check lists :) seem to me to be a top down approach. :( I'm not very keen on the requirements of CLL Writing ( pg55): under the icon for age range 30 - 50 mths ( thats 2.6yrs - 4.2 yrs) it says in the column effective practice - to "encourage children to use their phonic knowledge when writing CVC words" . Children are still building their spoken vocabulary at 2.6 mths yet within a period of only another 18mths they will be required to write 3 letter words. If they are interested and able then fine, but what pressure will this put on the child who is still developing pre-writing skills?

I feel that the "progression" requirements are crammed into a short period of a child's life. There doesn't seem to be "time" for consolidation, a child's own pace, or time to experience learning particular concepts in a wide variety of context because of, for example; the requirement to begin to read and write before the age of 5 yrs.

ie: page 50- planning & resourcing -

from age/stage 22 - 36 mths - use puppets and other props to encourage listening and responding when singing a familiar song

within a matter of, at maximum , 3yrs + 2 months in a setting, or 122 wks @ 10 mins input per day = 101 hrs of teaching ( or 12 full days input) to achieve this development. :(

age/stage 40 - 60mths (pg 51) - Teach phonemes in 6 groups (s m c t g p a o etc) , teach to blend letters to read CVC, CVCC, and CCVC words.

and this is just one small aspect of the whole curriculum.

I appreciatte children get more input than 10 mins, through life experience, the environment etc, but I felt the need to do this calculation just to measure the timescale available for this particular "progression requirement".

Well, you did ask Janine.

So far I am optimistic, sceptical, reluctant to change, interested in developing my own understanding of the whole EYFS document, trying to envisage how it will really impact on my work and the experiences of children in my setting, and brain dead, so going to bed.......

Peggy

i totally agree with you Peggy- I haven't read it in anywhere near as much detail as you yet but first glance is making me think that there are massive implications for everyone - hope it's all for the best!

Thanks fr making some of those points Peggy, I had noticed the writing one as its subject very close to my heart, but Ive yet to digest some of the others. I would imgaine that the CLL and numeracy will be coming in line with the new strategies which Ive also not had chance to read yet.

janine Im a bit disapoointed with the bits I have read so far in terms of the nurseries in school and particulary in terms of staffing ratios although I do hope it will stop my TAs from taking the nursery on their own whenever I am not there (which they do at the moment, we never get cover..ever). Im also disappointed that the ratios doesnt affect reception classes, I had really hoped that the 13:1 (or even 15:1) would become a requirement in there too.

Just a quick question plase for the pdf experts out there. How can i turn the page round so that i can actually read it on the screen? Im having trouble juggling my head into a sideways position.

"Just a quick question plase for the pdf experts out there. How can i turn the page round so that i can actually read it on the screen? Im having trouble juggling my head into a sideways position."

Go to the bar where save icon is on the left... at the other end, last two icons on the right , (picture of page with arrow) 1st one is rotate clockwise, 2nd rotate anticlockwise. Click on the 1st one to turn the page.

Mundia, It's bad enough reading it from a printed page, let alone head tilted xD

I've woke up with neck ache this morning due to excessive use of computor and reading the printed out document. :o

Peggy

thanks Peggy, you see thats what getting up at 4 am to listen to the dawn chorus does for you!! (check out the calendar)

Im having trouble with those little icons, Id much prefer colour coding, I guess I'll get used to it?

thanks Peggy, you see thats what getting up at 4 am to listen to the dawn chorus does for you!! (check out the calendar)

Im having trouble with those little icons, Id much prefer colour coding, I guess I'll get used to it?

55715[/snapback]

for a brief minute I thought you meant the icons on the pdf bar to change page orientation. :o

then I realised you mean the EYFS ones :(:(

why not make a comment about them in the consultation? xD

Peggy

i know what you mean about the staffing thing - that was one of the first things i looked out for and was really disappointed to see they think it's a reasonable ratio for nursery classes! I remember going to a conference about 6 years ago when Margaret Hodge said that a suitable ratio for 3 year olds is 1:4 - if only!!

Going to have another really good read tonight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)