Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moving premises Ofsted

We have unfortunately been given notice to leave the premises we run our nursery from. The date they have given us is the last day of term 20th December. ( bang goes my Christmas!) In the 3 weeks of receiving the notice I have found another property to rent( almost double the rent we were paying😩

Now the issue I have is we have to move all our equipment out on the last day of term as the children will still be there on that day! 

I will be calling Ofsted to explain that we will be having a change of address ( different postcode same borough) and then complete whatever forms I need too. 

Is it going to be a whole new registration and  How long are Ofsted currently taking to inspect premises to open as a nursery? Or is it different for a change of address ( praying is easier😬

Do you have to have all equipment/furniture set up for when they come? If so I don’t know how I could possibly do this if I still need to continue running from the premises I’m still at! I’m hoping that some of the children will move to the new premises so would need to close 20th December and open new nursery at the beginning of January 2025. 
could I show them photos of all my equipment to get the new registration or do I have to be fully set up🧐

Hiya

I am sorry that you haven't had any answers.

I did change premises once, but that was 1995, so anything I tell you would almost certainly be out of date info...anyway, no I didn't have the new place set up as I was still working out of the old premises. Like you it had to be a whole new registration which I remember thinking was a bit odd...

Hopefully you have contacted Ofsted and they have given you some information - also don't forget to involve your LA they might be helpful (or not!)

Good luck with everything!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that’s a tough call, Best Wishes to you.

we moved premises 14 yrs ago, (same village, same committee, same staff) the premises wasn’t completely set up, mostly an empty shell, I just explained what areas would be where and how thise areas would support development, I did have to have the suitable persons interview again even though I’d been the manager for 20+ years.

I’d email on the enquiries@Ofsted email (for all changes now) and explain the situation/time line.

could you put something out to the community explaining the situation, you might find a business happy to do a charitable act for a bit of PR and help with the actual moving of equipment (or parents who would give up a little time, especially if they no there is a chance it won’t be ready to open Jan’25).

Edited by Mouseketeer

could you not give yourself a break and say that i exceptional circumstances you are going to close a day or two early? You will not only have to empty and refill another space but also chuck and clean (skip needed!!) 

we moved in 2011. Although we were only moving a little way we needed to do a whole new registration . I also had to do a suitable person interview and health questionnaire. I'm reluctant to say you need to do x y and z because i can guarantee they have changed the system!! ring them and chat , they are very keen to keep good provision going for the benefit of the children. Your LEA may also offer help and obviously need to be informed too. In 2011 we weren't allowed to open until we had had an opening inspection....we operated on 2 x 2 hour sessions for about a fortnight until they could come in !! good luck. it's hard but gives you the chance to reset and improve whats not working too.