Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who'd Be A Manager!

Please help, Im struggling so much!

I own and manage the Nursery we have been open 2 years .

We are open 8-6 every day registered for 20 children and in the process of opening a baby unit for additonal 12 upstairs. We are in that awful stage of making do with staff rather than employing new as we have very few under 2s.

We have quite a few part time staff and started free flow play and changed the playing to be around the individual children instead of the environment- about 6 weeks ago and its chaos.

I appreciate staff dont like change but since starting the free flow they have been so demotivated, its just not working and I cant pin point why! I feel we have gone from being structured to totally unstructured having free flow all morning just stopping briefly for circle time- I feel we need a little more structure, but I dont want to interfere as the staff are trying.I feel everytime I go in Im asking them to make changes, I have tried explaining that if its not working they need to change it.

Can anyone tell me how their day works? ie timetabe?

The staff are very different I dont have any what I would call strong/leader type staff in the nicest way they are plodders! I am stuck on how I can change this without changing the staff team?

How can I motivate them and get them to work together rather than individuals?

I know I have made mistakes whilst taking on staff, offered flexibility on hours etc, Ive also tried to be their friend and feel I may have lost their respect a bit by being too friendly, I have enough of a job managing the nursery or should I say staff! no only joking and I dont have the time to be involved in their planning, am I on the wrong wavelength here. and expecting too much of them?

Can anyone tell me whether their deputy manager works with the children and is she counted in the overall staff ratios?

My deputy is full time and I only work 3 days(unpaid as Im not in a position to be able to take a wage yet) in the Nursery a week, she covers me the other 2, obviously not counted in staff ratios on those days.

I feel she would rather sit in the office than be with the children?

I am considering employing a part time manager to work alongside me but feel the Nursery needs to be sorted first, but am unsure whether this would make matters worse?

We have high ratios downstairs with the 20 3-5 yr olds - 4 staff - I feel they should be able to cope?

I know this is a bit of a mumbo jumbo plea for help I feel like giving up and the moment and that is so unlike me, we dont seem to have any support from our EYDCP we have just lost our mentor to another job and other providers in the area have such a closed door policy!

Just need a bit of advice please!

Hi Sharon,

First of all, don't get too stressed out! it'll only cloud your judgment and that's no good at all :o

Your deputy should mainly be working in the room to which she is allocated, coming out only when it's possible according to numbers, and then only for jobs you have delegated to her or for managerial responsibilities on the days you are not around. If she does other than this, it throws your ratios and that is not good!

Do your staff work shifts? If so, no one should be out of their rooms unless fetching drinks/equipment etc (ie, short trips only) until all staff are in; all should be in own room over staff lunchtimes except when on break and of course, once staff begin to leave at the end of the day. After all, your main function is to offer childcare!!

You say you have changed from structured to freeflow - OK, good move, but if it's not working, it needs addressing. Why not have a staff meeting to discuss - weigh up the pros and cons of both the systems you've operated, trying to reach a balance between them. Obviously the different age ranges have their own specific needs, but all children need some kind of routine. And if you have funded children you have to demonstrate some kind of programme for learning! Encourage the room teams to discuss possible ways for their area to move forward and bring ideas along to the meeting. You say you have no obviously strong team members - how are your rooms arranged? Do you have heads of rooms? It's their responsibilty to ensure the smooth running of the room, you are there to oversee the whole nursery and make executive decisions. They need to get it right, because you can't be everywhere at once but are, however, ultimately accountable to Ofsted as the 'suitable person'.

You may need to get tough for a bit (I know it's hard), as they may feel they can get away with things if you've been too much of a friend in the past. Give people things to do, with deadlines, and make a fuss if they don't meet them. Ultimately they need to feel involved to give them a sense of self-motivation - if you give them specific roles and responsibilities you might be pleasantly surprised. The extra might also show you they are more capable than you thought!

Keep on with your early years support, the new mentor may be just what you need - ours is worth her weight in anything you care to think of!! Keep coming on here to let off steam, I'm sure everything will turn out right in the end.

Sue

Sorry Sharon, just reread your post and mine - I wasn't suggesting your staff are slackers!! :o and I haven't given you a timetable - here's ours (for the Pre-school room- 2.6 years to 5):

7.30 - 9.15 Most of the children are arriving, free play, with whole range of activities, including messy. During this time breakfast is offered. By 9.15 most of the staff have arrived.

9.15 - 9.30 Registration and Circle Time - discuss day, date, weather and run down of activities on offer, detailing focus activities (2 per day).

9.30 - 10.30 Free play, children are expected to access one of the focus activities during this time - whichever they don't, they are expected to access in the afternoon. Snack and drink are freely available during this period.

10.30 Tidy up then Circle time - this is differentiated, more able with the Nursery teacher (part-time), less able with NN, working on basics such as number, shape, colour, name recognition

11.00- 11.30 Outdoor Play, including structured activity as well as free play - optional

11.30 - 11.40, toilet and wash hands

11.45 lunch. (staff lunches are staggered between 11.45 - 2.00)

12.15/30 Tidy up(staff)- children in another area with a staff menber, two preferably, engaging in quiet activities, stories, singing, table games etc

1.00 Afternoon session - same as AM, drinks only.

2.00-2.30 -Outdoor play

2.30-3.00 Keyworker time (this enables really child specific activities) Drinks available

3.00-3.30 Quiet time - children are expected to lie quietly listening to soothing music or story tapes - quite a few actually sleep!

3.30 Wash hands

3.40 Tea

4.15 Circle Time and Proud Tree (this is the self-esteem thing - we try to find something good to say about each one - they receive an 'apple' which they attach to our 'tree', at the end of the week they go into their folder for parents to take away on parent's evening)

4.30-6.30 Free play - outdoors in the better weather- from now on children and staff will be leaving.

I can check Baby and Toddler room routines next week, but they are similarly planned.

I should explain, the Nursery is open 8 - 6, but extra half hours can be booked each end. Two staff do an early (open-up) shift 7.15-4.15 (one is always a level 3) and two do a late (lock-up) 9.45 - 6.30 (again, one is level 3). Before 8.00 all the children play together downstairs in toddler room, from 8.00 they split off into own units. In the afternoon they join up about 5.30/5.45, depending on numbers.

Sue

I am also the manager of a day nursery, and can completley sympathise with you.

The daily routines vary from room to room, depending on what the children form each age group need.

The 3 plus room has a free flow system but there is also adult led activities going on at the same time.

It's very difficult when you first become a manager because you do want to be everyone's friend. When I first starting managing i think that I made the mistake of being everybody's 'friend' - however in the long run it makes your live much more difficult (in my opinion) When you need to address issues that you are not happy with it can be very difficult addressing a friend. This very much depends on the person involved. I am very lucky where I work now as I do have good relationships with the staff that I work with but made it clear from the start that while it's nice for us all to get along thats not my priorty at work, my priority is to ensure that the children are looked after in a clean, safe, caring and stimulating environment.

ooo just read this back and I've mad myself sound like a bit of a dragon but i'm not - honest.

Anyway try to persevere, i'm sure that as soon as you have found your feetthings will get much better. Don't doubt yourself, it takes alot of courage to start your own business, and i'm sure that you are doing a great job :D

Not sure if that helped........

Thanks doesnt it make you feel better talking!

Going to have a bottle I mean glass! of wine and chill and forget about them all until monday!

We are only a really small nursery with 2 large rooms plus a large kitchen downstairs, we used to have one room for 2-3 years and another for 3-5 years,what we have done is divide the two rooms into workshop areas and put all the children together where they have free choice to go and do as they please . The children seem more relaxed however the staff have to keep moving from one room to another according to ratios.

The current routine is

8-9 children arrive only about 5 mainly arrive at 9 free play until 930

930 tidy up and circle time

10-1045 Rolling snack and children free play

1115 outside play

12 lunch and many children go home

1 pm children arrive and repeat the morning bascally

See to me there is no special time for the preschool children who I feel need that little bit extra?

Sorry Sharon, just reread your post and mine - I wasn't suggesting your staff are slackers!!  :o  and I haven't given you a timetable - here's ours (for the Pre-school room- 2.6 years to 5):

7.30 - 9.15  Most of the children are arriving, free play, with whole range of activities, including messy. During this time breakfast is offered. By 9.15 most of the staff have arrived.

9.15 - 9.30 Registration and Circle Time - discuss day, date, weather and run down of activities on offer, detailing focus activities (2 per day).

9.30 - 10.30 Free play, children are expected to access one of the focus activities during this time - whichever they don't, they are expected to access in the afternoon. Snack and drink are freely available during this period.

10.30 Tidy up then Circle time - this is differentiated, more able with the Nursery teacher (part-time), less able with NN, working on basics such as number, shape, colour, name recognition

11.00- 11.30 Outdoor Play, including structured activity as well as free play - optional

11.30 - 11.40, toilet and wash hands

11.45 lunch. (staff lunches are staggered between 11.45 - 2.00)

12.15/30 Tidy up(staff)- children in another area with a staff menber, two preferably, engaging in quiet activities, stories, singing, table games etc

1.00 Afternoon session - same as AM, drinks only.

2.00-2.30 -Outdoor play

2.30-3.00 Keyworker time (this enables really child specific activities) Drinks available

3.00-3.30 Quiet time - children are expected to lie quietly listening to soothing music or story tapes - quite a few actually sleep!

3.30 Wash hands

3.40 Tea

4.15 Circle Time and Proud Tree (this is the self-esteem thing - we try to find something good to say about each one - they receive an 'apple' which they attach to our 'tree', at the end of the week they go into their folder for parents to take away on parent's evening)

4.30-6.30 Free play - outdoors in the better weather- from now on children and staff will be leaving.

I can check Baby and Toddler room routines next week, but they are similarly planned.

I should explain, the Nursery is open 8 - 6, but extra half hours can be booked each end. Two staff do an early (open-up) shift 7.15-4.15 (one is always a level 3) and two do a late (lock-up) 9.45 - 6.30 (again, one is level 3). Before  8.00 all the children play together downstairs in toddler room, from 8.00 they split off into own units. In the afternoon they join up about 5.30/5.45, depending on numbers.

Sue

54494[/snapback]

Thanks doesnt it make you feel better talking!

Going to have a bottle I mean glass! of wine and chill and forget about them all until monday!

We are only a really small nursery  with 2 large rooms plus a large kitchen downstairs, we used to have one room for 2-3 years and another for 3-5 years,what we have done is divide the two rooms into workshop areas and put all the children together where they have free choice to go and do as they please . The children seem more relaxed however the staff have to keep moving from one room to another according to ratios.

The current routine is

8-9 children arrive only about 5 mainly arrive at 9 free play until 930 

930 tidy up and circle time

10-1045 Rolling snack and children free play

1115 outside play

12 lunch and many children go home

1 pm children arrive and repeat the morning bascally

See to me there is no special time for the preschool children who I feel need that little bit extra?

54536[/snapback]

hi sharon, i used to run a nursery and can sympathise with you, dealing with the staff can be very stressful. your work shop set out is great. are the staff supporting the different areas. in our daily planning the staff were designated to the various workshop/activity areas and were responsible for them. we planned what we would set up for the week. our foundation stage children had a seperate circle time to the 2-3 year olds and we would have a more adult directed time with a more complex story, simple maths games and conversation time.do you spend time with the children? i found the best way to get the staff motivated was to model the behaviour you expected. i usually spent the first 2 hours in the nursery and then would have to go into the office to do the boring bits. we were open 8-6. my deputy had certain times in the office when i was not there (2 days a week), she was in charge of the weekly planning but the rest of the time she was included in the staff ratios. by designating the staff to the various areas helps to focus them and make them responsible and organise them. this helped those who maybe didnt always use their initiative. i also organised staff building training, something your early years advisors might be able to help with.hope this is helpful. as long as you have conviction in your beliefs and in what you are doing you will help the staff move on when they see the system working. good luck

Hi Sharon

its difficult to try and sort out all the problems at the same time, so dont make your job to big by trying to tackle everything all at once.

Im in a preschool not a day nursery so I can only empathise with your frustrations and suggest (if you havent already done so) to spend time observing what is happening during sessions, see if you can identify some of your staff's strengths and weaknesses and the team structure. Observe the rooms, the chaos and the calm and see if you can work out whats making this happen are there any patterns. you might also involve the staff in doing peer/session observations and they may notice things you havent.

I was having alot of chaos and calm times and spent some time watching and found that is was certain days and times, particular members of staff and children. I could see the patterns of when chaos happened and when things where calm and I was able to draw up a new routine and staff deployment rota which I then introduced slowly in phases.

as for sitting in the office (we dont have one) I have a desk in the main room where I can do some work but I am at hand, I allocate additional hours out of session time when I do paper work so that times when I am at work I am interacting with the children and staff.

I am on friendly terms with all the staff and this can make it difficult to confront problems, I find staff supervision/appraisals are useful for this. I can constructivly tell staff what I think and it doesnt need to be a battle. think of all the behaviour skills that you would use with the children, praise and encouragement works just as effectivly with adults.

My main thourght is dont try to do everything at once! it takes time to assess the situation and make effective changes

Hi,

forgot to mention in my first post i'm not sure that if you are operating on 2 floors that you can care for the under 2's upstairs. I might be wrng butit might be worth checking it out. Hopeyou enjoyed the wine :D

Who'd be a manager?? That's a question I've been asking myself quite a bit over the last couple of weeks!!

Things aren't going too well at the moment and I'm starting to think maybe I've pushed my luck a little bit with this job. The paperwork is slowly getting to me, my manager isn't really very good at explaining how things are done, so I'm finding that I'm trying to do it all 'blind', or else I'm on here asking for help all the time. When asked about Every Child Matters and all the associated things we need to be doing for it, my manager told me she didn't know what I was talking about, so I had to try and explain it all to her, when my own knowledge is quite limited!

On top of all that, three members of staff failed to turn in for work last week, no phonecall, or any kind of notification. My manager insists that staff call her in the morning if they are not going to turn in for work, but she never lets me know until she comes in an hour from the end of the session. I feel like I'm always on the phone to her, stressing about staff and ratios etc. It has meant that I've been more hands on with the children this week, which is fine because I love it, but my paperwork has suffered as a result, and now I'm getting grief because it's not getting done. It doesn't matter that I take it all home with me to try and finish things off, I usually end up getting told off for taking folders off the premises to do this. I feel like I'm in a no-win situation.

The three members of staff who failed to attend work last week have only today text me and told me they are not coming back to work, but they won't give a reason. I'm beginning to think it's me, maybe I've done something to upset them, so now I'm beginning to doubt myself. The three in question are all very good friends and have chosen to stick together which is fine but it now means I'm going into next week 3 staff down... :o

I also have to do an induction with a new member of staff who started last week, but again I don't know how to go about it. I haven't even had mine yet and as this is my first manager's post, I'm beginning to panic a little bit, because I don't know what to do.

Right at this moment in time, I feel like throwing in the towel and returning to work as a NN. Save the managerial stuff for someone who knows what they are doing! I don't think it would be so bad if I got the support I need, but so far, it's not been forthcoming.

So although my situation is a little bit different from others, I do totally sympathise. Not much help, I know, but wanted to let you know that there are others suffering in managerial roles too!! You're not alone!

Anyway, hope you manage to find a solution to your problem. I'm going to tear my hair out for a while and then calm down and think what I'm going to do about it!

Who'd be a manager?? That's a question I've been asking myself quite a bit over the last couple of weeks!!

Things aren't going too well at the moment and I'm starting to think maybe I've pushed my luck a little bit with this job. The paperwork is slowly getting to me, my manager isn't really very good at explaining how things are done, so I'm finding that I'm trying to do it all 'blind', or else I'm on here asking for help all the time. When asked about Every Child Matters and all the associated things we need to be doing for it, my manager told me she didn't know what I was talking about, so I had to try and explain it all to her, when my own knowledge is quite limited!

On top of all that, three members of staff failed to turn in for work last week, no phonecall, or any kind of notification. My manager insists that staff call her in the morning if they are not going to turn in for work, but she never lets me know until she comes in an hour from the end of the session. I feel like I'm always on the phone to her, stressing about staff and ratios etc. It has meant that I've been more hands on with the children this week, which is fine because I love it, but my paperwork has suffered as a result, and now I'm getting grief because it's not getting done. It doesn't matter that I take it all home with me to try and finish things off, I usually end up getting told off for taking folders off the premises to do this. I feel like I'm in a no-win situation.

The three members of staff who failed to attend work last week have only today text me and told me they are not coming back to work, but they won't give a reason. I'm beginning to think it's me, maybe I've done something to upset them, so now I'm beginning to doubt myself. The three in question are all very good friends and have chosen to stick together which is fine but it now means I'm going into next week 3 staff down... :o

I also have to do an induction with a new member of staff who started last week, but again I don't know how to go about it. I haven't even had mine yet and as this is my first manager's post, I'm beginning to panic a little bit, because I don't know what to do.

Right at this moment in time, I feel like throwing in the towel and returning to work as a NN. Save the managerial stuff for someone who knows what they are doing! I don't think it would be so bad if I got the support I need, but so far, it's not been forthcoming.

So although my situation is a little bit different from others, I do totally sympathise. Not much help, I know, but wanted to let you know that there are others suffering in managerial roles too!! You're not alone!

Anyway, hope you manage to find a solution to your problem. I'm going to tear my hair out for a while and then calm down and think what I'm going to do about it!

54567[/snapback]

Clare,

please don't stress I have found myself in similar situations in the past,and have found that sometimes the best way to learn about thing is to be thrown in at the deep end although it doesn't seem like that at the time.

Part of your problem seems to be that your manager isn't being very supportive. What kind of setting do you work in? I don't understand how staff can ring in sick and your not informed. I don't think you should worry about being on the phone to her all the time if the information was there for you in the first placethen you wouldn't need to be!

I also didn't until very recently no anything about Every Child matters, and have found out nearly everthing that I do know from this site (unfortuntley I don't know how to do links but if you like I could E-mail you the bits that I have found) What I have done thats helped me alot is look at each outcome individually and see which areas of nursery meet these. I also loked at other nursery inspection reports to see what kinds of things that ofsted were looking for.

As for your induction, we have a form that we complete with all the things that staff really need to know and tick them off when the new staff are aware of them, things like staff ratio's, child protection procedures and officer, fireevacuation procedure, holidays sick a brief rundown of how the nursery operates, accident, medicine procedures etc, we also give new staff a handbook with a copy of all of the nursery policy and procedures. Something that alot of settings do which I think is nice is assign the new member of staff with a buddy (a well established member of staff who they can go to for help and advice)

You really need to tallk to your manager or someone above if there is and explain that you can not possible be working with the children for long periods of time and be expected to keep ontop of all of the paperwork aswell.

Don't doubt your ability to do the role you obviously have what it takes, otherwise you wouldn't be aware or care about all of these problems. You need to tell yourself that you are an obvious asset to your setting and they are lucky to have you. If I can help youanymorethen please let meknow because like I said I havebeen in similar situation in the past. Things will get better then you can take a step back and be proud of what YOU achieved

Clare,

please don't stress I have found myself in similar situations in the past,and have found that sometimes the best way to learn about thing is to be thrown in at the deep end although it doesn't seem like that at the time.

Part of your problem seems to be that your manager isn't being very supportive.  What kind of setting do you work in?  I don't understand how staff can ring in sick and your not informed.  I don't think you should worry about being on the phone to her all the time if the information was there for you in the first placethen you wouldn't need to be!

I also didn't until very recently no anything about Every Child matters, and have found out nearly everthing that I do know from this site (unfortuntley I don't know how to do links but if you like I could E-mail you the bits that I have found)  What I have done thats helped me alot is look at each outcome individually and see which areas of nursery meet these.  I also loked at other nursery inspection reports to see what kinds of things that ofsted were looking for.

As for your induction, we have a form that we complete with all the things that staff really need to know and tick them off when the new staff are aware of them, things like staff ratio's, child protection procedures and officer, fireevacuation procedure, holidays sick a brief rundown of how the nursery operates, accident, medicine procedures etc, we also give new staff a handbook with a copy of all of the nursery policy and procedures.  Something that alot of settings do which I think is nice is assign the new member of staff with a buddy (a well established member of staff who they can go to for help and advice)

You really need to tallk to your manager or someone above if there is and explain that you can not possible be working with the children for long periods of time and be expected to keep ontop of all of the paperwork aswell.

Don't doubt your ability to do the role you obviously have what it takes, otherwise you wouldn't be aware or care about all of these problems.  You need to tell yourself that you are an obvious asset to your setting and they are lucky to have you.  If I can help youanymorethen please let meknow because like I said I havebeen in similar situation in the past.  Things will get better then you can take a step back and be proud of what YOU achieved

54573[/snapback]

Thanks Rapunzel!! I too don't feel that I am getting enough support from my manager. She turns up towards the end of the session and then tells me off for all the things I've spent ages doing, in between being with the children, if they do not meet her exact standards. I know this is her job and perhaps I am being a little unfair to her, but instead of getting into trouble about it, I would much rather she sits down with me and explains exactly what is what. This is my first managers job and she knows it, I was open and honest at the interview and still she gave me the job, so bearing all that in mind, I don't think it is a lot to ask that she helps me out a bit more in the meantime!

The phoning in sick thing, really bugs me. The way I see it is that so I can manage according to her standards, I really need to know which members of staff to expect so I can deploy them across the setting appropriately. Last week, we functioned with me and all my students, all my qualified staff have since done a runner (with the exception of a L2 qualified person but she hasnt yet received her CRB check, so in effect, can't be left alone with the children anyway!)

I think it is a culmination of little things, such as the filing system which drives me mad because we can't find anything, not being aware of staff absences etc, growing into big things and making me feel more and more swamped with it all.

I really want to tell her how I feel, but at the same time, I don't want to come across that I don't know what I'm doing. Its a catch 22! It's not that she's unapproachable, because really she isn't.

In some respects, I wish she would leave certain things to me, such as the filing and the planning etc, because I often find her input confuses everyone and makes things more difficult. We are all struggling with things as it is without the added extras from her, but at the same time it's her pre-school at the end of the day and she has the final say.

Maybe I'm being unfair to her, but I feel like I'm banging my head against a very big brick wall!! I'm proud of the things I have achieved so far. It's been a big thing to me, even though they are only small things. I think I work hard to do the right thing and to make the pre-school pleasing for children, parents and the staff. I just feel like she would rather be managing the place herself, without actually having to be there.

I've found out some ECM info from this site and people have pointed me in the direction of Ofsted and Sure Start, so I will be getting in touch with these people and asking all the questions I can, so we are doing the things we should be. I can see all these things that the inspectors will pick up on and to be honest, for my first Ofsted, I want to get a relatively good outcome (who wouldn't?!).

Hopefully it'll all work out in the end, it's just getting there that's the hard bit (never expected it to be easy!!)

Hi Claire

I know exactly how you feel. I am a manager of a pre-school and today i have sat here tinking why am i bothering, i feel like chucking it in and getting a job as a pre-school assistant or going to work in a supermarket, something with no paperwork.

I work in the ratios for every session, and we do 2 sessions a day, we now have 69 children on our books. I do all the planning for all sessions, i have 11 keyworker children of my own, an administrator who doesn't return my calls, only comes in to the building once a month to collect the money, parents complaining they haven't had invoices which the administrator is suppose to be doing, 3 staff who all say they are going to leave because they can't work the hours we require, we only have 6 staff in total, so this is worry, we are committee run and our chair wishes to resign.

2 of the staff who are thinking of leaving are doing their nvq's. which we have paid for, we made the mistake of not putting a clause in the contracts about them leaving so no come back!. I have spent 3 hrs this weekend writing witness statements for them thinking why am i bothering if they are leaving, i still have the planning to finish for next week, a pile of ironing and my house is a tip and my family are complaing i have no family time.

Maybe all Managers are in the same boat, after reading the above e-mails, it makes me think that way.

Maybe we should set up our own club similar to alcholics annoymous!!!!!!I think we all need therapy!!!!now i'm losing it!!!!!

Hi Claire

I know exactly how you feel. I am a manager of a  pre-school and today i have sat here tinking why am i bothering, i feel like chucking it in and getting a job as a pre-school assistant or going to work in a supermarket, something with no paperwork.

I work in the ratios for every session, and we do 2 sessions a day, we now have 69 children on our books. I do all the planning for all sessions, i have 11 keyworker children of my own, an administrator who doesn't return my calls, only comes in to the building once a month to collect the money, parents complaining they haven't had invoices which the administrator is suppose to be doing, 3 staff who all say they are going to leave because they can't work the hours we require, we only have 6 staff in total, so this is  worry, we are committee run and our chair wishes to resign.

2 of the staff who are thinking of leaving are doing their nvq's. which we have paid for, we made the mistake of not putting a clause in the contracts about them leaving so no come back!. I have spent 3 hrs this weekend writing witness statements for them thinking why am i bothering if they are leaving, i still have the planning to finish for next week, a pile of ironing and my house is a tip and my family are complaing i have no family time.

Maybe all Managers are in the same boat, after reading the above e-mails, it makes me think that way.

Maybe we should set up our own club similar to alcholics annoymous!!!!!!I think we all need therapy!!!!now i'm losing it!!!!!

54582[/snapback]

I know the feeling Simcity! I had a tantrum yesterday whilst I tried to juggle both housework and pre-school paperwork. I sympathise with the family time thing too. My daughter is only 2 but I'm finding that the telly and Balamory are babysitting her more and more. I feel bad if I try to get things done and she's indoors for long periods, so then I take her out and feel bad because there's no house/paperwork being done!

Would love to join the manager's club though! Think that's a great idea!! Maybe we could start a different thread called Manager's Anonymous!!

I really hope you get all your problems sorted out. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one struggling.

xx

Me too :D

Clare why don't you put your concerns in writing to your manager and arrange a meeting with her to discuss your concerns. If 3 staff members are thinking of leaving this may put you in a stronger position.

Just try and prioritise, the housework can wait but your little girl can't. When my children were little I did minimal housework but did try and keep the house tidy and then it doesn't look too bad. Your little girl can help I found that children are very good at dusting and they love sweeping up after themselves.I find that making lits helps and there is a great sense of satisfaction when you look at it at the end of the day and see what you have done!

Get a good nights sleep as well !!!!!

Id join that club too!!!! :o

clare I was in the same boat when I took over my preschool 8 years ago all but one member of staff handed their notice in as soon as I took over and it was such a nighmare, I took the group over because I didnt want to see the last preschool in the area close and many times since I have thought what a big mistake that was.... but not all of those 8 years have been bad.

on the plus side it looks like your manager needs you alot more than you need her so take this chance to take the lead and if she is not happy she should work in the setting more often to offer suport so that you can implement things the way she thinks, Your manager cannt have everything her way other wise you job title might as well be "assistant"

I hope you get the staff problems sorted I am in another staff shortage moment myself and its fustrating to have to employ people in a hurry. every little delay with checks and references becomes a massive problem.

"WHY DO WE DO IT???" I ask my self this regularly and I know its not the money.

I think of being a manager like pruning roses you get ripped to shreads by lots of horrible little thorns but hopefully at the end of it there will eventually grow a beautiful flower!!!

ok well good night everyone

forgot to say Clare

the house work will always be there!!! I tend to tidy one downstairs rooms each day + a load in the washing machine and dishwasher and that tends to keep me on top of it all!

forget the bedrooms whose going to see them? close the doors when visitors arrive! :o

again I will go to bed!

forget the bedrooms whose going to see them? close the doors when visitors arrive!  :o

54638[/snapback]

I already do that!! xD . My mum always taught me that the only rooms that need to be kept nice and tidy are the ones that people see!! Hence the bedroom is crowded with all the rubbish from all the 'visible' rooms. O/H is not very happy about it... :( Still.... tomorrow is another day!!!

Thanks Alison, you really cheered me up. I hope your staffing issue is sorted soon. I intend to speak to my boss this week and let her know how I'm feeling and hopefully, we can come to an arrangement that is going to suit both of us! I know what you're saying about the assistant thing and to be honest, I've thought of demoting myself, because at the moment, I don't feel much like a manager... :(

Anyway, happy thoughts :D:(:D

So Steve!

How about it then, a little sub-forum for all us stressed out managers?! xD

We've got quite a few members already...! :o

Edited by Clare

I too would advise you to arrange a meeting with your manager to discuss the main issues.

As a nursery owner, i would be mortified that i had allowed so many problems to arise, but also extremely grateful that you had brought them to my attention, to enable me to sort them out.

Your manager will gain a great deal of respect for you, due to your courage in raising these matters.

Please let us know how you get on.

well we had a wonderful session today the first day back after the holidays.....

one member of staff phoned in sick it is the first time in the 5 years she has worked with us that she has been off sick, but another member of staff just didnt show up leaving us two staff down I tried to get hold of her but only got the answering machine then later she left a message to say she had asked for the day off ages ago and now Im thinking ....er when?

Im going to have to write everything down so at least I can check.... my brain is fried!!

Alison,

When staff want days off in term time we ask for written confirmation of date for our records at least 2 working weeks before it is required, except in emergencies, we also ask them to find the cover for themselves between the staff and let us know who will be expected to cover for them.

This prevents them saying I did tell you when you are at your busiest and likely to forget to note it down, or just forget like i do!! :o

Inge

I would join the managers club!

I am employed to manage a large nursery by a school. I am always counted in the ratios and so have to do paperwork in my lunch break, after we close (no overtime pay) or at home.

To-night we closed at 6.00pm and I left at 8.00pm! We don't even have a cleaner and to-night the hoover broke.... nearly the last straw

:o

Teri

inge

Im going to have to do that,

today was the first time its happened, we had two weeks holiday and Id not seen that member of staff for her to remind me. We can work easily with 4 staff so I hadnt bothered to replace her on the rota.

ok I feel a plonker now but at least I will remember to put something in place to ensure it doesnt happen again.

we live and learn!!!

Only if I can have a sub-forum for stressed out forum managers - bet mine will be quieter than yours though...

Actually, that's what the Lounge/Golden Time forum is for, apart from announcing engagements and weddings of course! :)