Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Inclusive Early Years Educator

This year, I'm writing a book for Routledge with Ann-Louise Lowe who is an Early Years Inclusion Officer in Doncaster.  We have previously worked together on producing The Reflection Toolkit (https://tapestry.info/reflection-toolkit.html).

The book is entitled 'The Inclusive Early Years Educator'.  We're thrilled to have this opportunity and are intent on expanding views of 'inclusion', connecting with a range of voices that reflect our diverse EYFS. 

As part of the process we would love to encourage discussion around some of the key themes from the book.

Our first question is 'what does inclusion mean to you?'

The Inclusive Early Years Educator (Twitter Post).png

• 2 months later...

I've added another discussion topic to Twitter today linked to The Inclusive Early Years Educator.  I'd love to hear people's views on the Leuven Scale and how you use the tool in your practice.  Do you feel it is suitable for all children?

The Inclusive Early Years Educator (Twitter Post) 0- Leuven.png

Thanks sunnyday, there's been a couple of comments over on twitter that the training element really is key to using the Scale appropriately, so it's good to hear that this was in place.

Can you remember whether it felt like the scales were appropriate for all learners?  As part of a chapter i am writing for my book, I'm considering whether signs of well-being and involvement look the same for all children.

Hi Stephen

'can you remember whether it felt like the scales were appropriate for all learners'?

It may surprise you to hear that my answer is yes when used as a tool for observation - but not necessarily to report to parents 

I must try and find the Twitter discussion...

Fabulous!  Could have done with that when I was doing my OU and had to research the scale for myself!  I used it a great deal after that, and taught my staff.  We found it helped hugely with observations and Mrs O was really impressed as she’d not come across it herself!  

• Like 1

Thanks Cait, that's good to hear you found it so helpful with your observations.  The responses do seem to demonstrate that it has generally had a positive impact if introduced carefully with good quality training.  As with most elements of education, I think knowing the children you are working with means you have a better chance of tools like this being effective - especially if a child has learning differences and their signs of well-being or involvement might not look the same as their peers.

• Like 1

That was absolutely it!  One of my staff had a SEND key child that she didn’t think was making any progress at all so I showed her this method and she was delighted and amazed!  By using the scale she were able to identify where the child was mainly focussed and take an experience into that activity, and watch how the child interacted and extended their own learning.    

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1