Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our Inspection Nov 21

louby loo

Well just to give an update on our inspection last week.  I've now checked with staff as to what questions the inspector asked them.

We had the phone call at just after 11.30 am.

On the day: she actually arrived quite late around 9.20, we open at 9.15 but she did manage to catch a couple of parents to talk to- but she had asked us to try and arrange a few that were happy the either talk or give written comments in a sealed envelope. 

She sat through our short registration circle time, and then did the learning walk - during this time all I can remember saying 'we do this like this, because it works for us'  A LOT!  

She asked about why we had certain activities out for example we had the farm out and some small world fairies in another area. I said the farm was out as the children like it, and  it's a great source of conversation starters when the children first arrive, and actually it covers so many areas etc.  Like wise the fairies was to settle one particular child- and she could see that that was working 😊 

She observed snack, and was more than happy that we actually served up the fruit (the children do choose what they want) I said pre covid they would serve themselves, but we did not feel the time is right for this to start happening again- and she agreed!   That day we did a whole group snack, but I explained we do what suits us on any given day.

She did a joint observation, (hammering nails into a pumpkin) which we discussed. 

I was asked a few safeguarding questions, we a few scenarios, and about safer recruitment and how I ensure staff are suitable etc. (that seemed to be her hot topic) 

She spoke to 3 members of staff, our one unqualified - she just had a general chat about qualifications as this staff member has an unrelated degree so they talked about the best way forward for her etc.   She spoke to the key-workers of the 2 children she tracked.  No safeguarding questions were asked of staff.

We than left her to do writing up. I had printed off a copy of everything needed from the handbook, and set her up on a table with the Polices folder, Qualification folder, and our 2 year check and tracking folder and just left her to get on with it.

I also left (by mistake!) my own notes and prompts - which I'd put our strengths and weaknesses and my other concerns on- I noticed to late I'd left it and I saw her reading it!!   But she made positive comments about this during her feedback.

She gave the most wonderful feedback and we got two recommendations, one a fair comment and the second a tad annoying but actually nothing to worry about for us. they were.

1) Whilst she could see all staff knew all children well- she would like to see 'written next steps' so we could cover them if staff were off.   A fair comment as we have just had two  staff off with Covid .... but actually that was the reason why they weren't written up yet 🤣  But that's an easy fix and would have been done this week anyway.

2) Do more to work in partnership with parents- which is the annoying one as we do!  I wish I'd talked more about this during the learning walk- however I think parents will see past this when they see the report as we do have great working relationships, so I can't get too stressed about this really.

She was there for 3 hours, and left the building with us (I may have bigged it up about how quickly we had to out of the building as the workman/decoraters were waiting for us to leave so they could come it) 😇   I even offered her a lift to the station - which she declined 😮😂

Overall a very positive experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thank you so much for sharing, it’s lovely to read what a positive experience you had. I only hope ours goes as smoothly when it finally happens!  I love that you offered her a lift to the station! The last time we were inspected (when it was with no warning) and very overdue. The inspector walked in and we had her the last time and I hugged her! I literally threw my arms around her and hugged her just with the relief of it finally happening! I have NEVER been allowed to live it down by my staff and they still take the mickey out of me about it.  Luckily she had a sense of humour and I think understood!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, louby loo said:

1) Whilst she could see all staff knew all children well- she would like to see 'written next steps' so we could cover them if staff were off.   A fair comment as we have just had two  staff off with Covid .... but actually that was the reason why they weren't written up yet 🤣  But that's an easy fix and would have been done this week anyway.

Many Thanks Louby, really helpful, pleased you had a good experience though have to say under the new EYFS I’m surprised written next steps was raised (we had this exact statement 5 yrs ago… all staff knew children very well but couldn’t see written next steps) but I would argue the point this time around  🤔 

zigzag don’t hug them this time round, under the circumstance it might be frowned upon 🤪 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be honest I felt  it was sort of a fair comment in a covid world. We had two staff off,  we could have had more cases and I guess if we'd needed emergency cover at least they would know what we were doing ?  Although that said- if you get to that point of an emergency with staff off I guess we'd just babysitting and keeping them safe, certainly not bothering with next steps!🤣

I forgot to add she didn't look at a single piece of paperwork other than my notes that wasn't in the handbook as required paperwork. Not interested in written planning, or any of the children's paperwork.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for sharing your experience- that's really kind of you.

Was there much talk about your curriculum- progression skills, etc? There are a number of posts on facebook saying their inspector was asking for those.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Helen said:

Was there much talk about your curriculum- progression skills, etc? There are a number of posts on facebook saying their inspector was asking for those.

Yes, she asked about our curriculum and was happy with my very simple answer of something along the lines of - we aim to have our children leave us as confident individuals that are highly motivated to learn, we do this in a fun play based way, in loving and caring environment, whilst following the EYFS. (or something very simmer to this)

She did ask the two key-persons of the children she tracked about progression on skills, but in a very gentle manner more just asking how they ensure it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Helen said:

I”m also reading these ‘progression’ posts and worrying that whilst as a team we created our own ‘curriculum goals’ I haven’t created a progressive document, or sequenced as the inspection handbook constantly refers to it, I’m hoping it’s enough to explain that we have progressive resources and expectations?

If I’m honest I read some of the Reception ones and think they aren’t nearly ambitious enough and some children were doing what they are expecting long before leaving us and others that are set out as ‘by the end of Autumn term’ and wonder how that works when children entering Reception could be practically a year apart in age.

The no safeguarding questions to staff is interesting, as others seem to say there was a lot of focus/questions on SG with staff, maybe that will be more drilled into if they stay for the full day and have time to fill, how much were you asked about safeguarding Louby? oh and oral health…I am standing firm and not introducing teeth cleaning, hand washing takes up enough of the day without that!

well done again 👍

13 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I”m also reading these ‘progression’ posts and worrying that whilst as a team we created our own ‘curriculum goals’ I haven’t created a progressive document, or sequenced as the inspection handbook constantly refers to it, I’m hoping it’s enough to explain that we have progressive resources and expectations?

If I’m honest I read some of the Reception ones and think they aren’t nearly ambitious enough and some children were doing what they are expecting long before leaving us and others that are set out as ‘by the end of Autumn term’ and wonder how that works when children entering Reception could be practically a year apart in age.

The no safeguarding questions to staff is interesting, as others seem to say there was a lot of focus/questions on SG with staff, maybe that will be more drilled into if they stay for the full day and have time to fill, how much were you asked about safeguarding Louby? oh and oral health…I am standing firm and not introducing teeth cleaning, hand washing takes up enough of the day without that!

well done again 👍

We have a pretty big safeguarding notice board, and all staff are L3 trained, we have three staff with DSL lead training (which our LA questioned the point of) We talked in general about things and I think she could see we give this area a pretty high priority.  She asked me a couple of 'what would you do if.....' questions - but I honest can't remember what they were - but I remember the answers were 'phone LADO and follow their lead/ ring the whistle blowing helpline' (I had a rotten cold and I think I was running of adrenaline).  I remember I asked her a few SG questions too!!

Nothing asked about oral health, but she looked at our parent folder which has quite a lot of the NHS information including a list of local dentists  on the first page.

I do think time restraints had a lot to do with it though-  and it did seem pretty rushed. I never expected that we would be inspected on one of our short days. She was there for exactly 3 hours total and that included the feedback session.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, louby loo said:

never expected that we would be inspected on one of our short days. She was there for exactly 3 hours total and that included the feedback session.

I can remember in the olden days when inspections first started that they came 2 mornings in a row, our first one ever didn’t take her coat off and sat in the corner of the huge hall we used to run from and just watched, told us we didn’t cover enough multi-culture and left, a couple of years later (they seemed much quicker then) we had just cover Chinese New Year and the inspector asked if we had a Chinese family, said no we didn’t and she asked why we’d covered it then as it wasn’t relevant to our children ….I soon realised we couldn’t really win this game 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

….I soon realised we couldn’t really win this game 🤷‍♀️

I think that is the whole issue really.

Our inspector loved our rather sad outside area because it was so natural, I'm pretty sure a different inspector would be horrified by how lacking it is. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

I can remember in the olden days when inspections first started that they came 2 mornings in a row, our first one ever didn’t take her coat off and sat in the corner of the huge hall we used to run from and just watched, told us we didn’t cover enough multi-culture and left, a couple of years later (they seemed much quicker then) we had just cover Chinese New Year and the inspector asked if we had a Chinese family, said no we didn’t and she asked why we’d covered it then as it wasn’t relevant to our children ….I soon realised we couldn’t really win this game 🤷‍♀️

I’d forgotten they used to do two mornings! At the end of the day it all comes down to the individual inspector, they all seem to want/look for different things. I’ve just come to the conclusion we can do our best but what will be will be! 

• Like 2