Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff DBS

So a member of my committee is now starting work for us as an assistant, I know her committee DBS will not cover her but she has an enhanced DBS as a school governor and is signed to the update service.  Is this sufficient to use as a staff members DBS? 

14 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

OMG zigzag...good luck with this one!!!! Ofsted will insist on her being dbs'd through them as if she were a manager...with health and safety questionnaire and all the gubbins!!! 

Really? Do you know where I can get absolute clarity on this? Honestly what on earth is the point of the update service if we still have to get a new one!

Ask ofsted...lets face it you may get a different response than ive had. ! I chose not to employ the committee member because i was not able to get a health check done in the time frame required...the issue is the question on the DBS "are you going to work with the children directly?" as soon as you say yes to this the system kicks in to action to assume you are applying for a "new manager" role!!

So sent an email to Ofsted explaining very clearly what I wanted to know.  Have had this reply sent back by email.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Ofsted does not carry out checks on staff working at non-domestic childcare settings. It is the responsibility of the registered provider to check their staff. The full requirements are given from page 18 of the Early Years Statutory Framework.

As part of their checks, staff must obtain an enhanced criminal records disclosure and staff who have not completed their security checks cannot be left unsupervised with children.

So not helpful at all.  The enhanced disclosure that this lady has got clearly states School governor- childcare workforce.  So it’s not a volunteer one.  Why can’t Ofsted just give me a definitive answer 😡
  • Sad 1

But I am not trying to use her committee DBS just the enhanced one from the primary school.  What the hell is the point in the update service if we can’t use and enhanced workforce disclosure?  It makes my blood boil!

Edited by zigzag

It’s very frustrating zigzag, I had a committee member that we then employed, I phoned my Ey team and was told we had to reapply for a paid position dbs and there was a large fine if employees were found to be working on a volunteer dbs, my Gov dbs is enhanced but it is for a volunteer position, I was sent info years ago about being fined but I can’t find it now.

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

Having dealt with both staff and volunteer DBS applications over the last few years I have only been able to accept a DBS on the update service if the employee was moving from the same type of paid role to the position we were giving the new employee.  Ofsted need to match up the 'role', with the type of DBS so an enhanced volunteer DBS as a governor or committee member would not be accepted by Ofsted for a paid position.

I agree that this makes the update service pointless when making some appointments.  It would be much more useful if everything was 'under the same umbrella' but I guess this would not generate as much revenue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...