Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations

blondie

we use tapestry (and love it) but we are finding our obs are getting a bit long ( I love writing things the children say as think that is what parents love to read) - does anyone have any ideas on how to shorten these without losing the personality of the child (if you know what I mean) - any pointers, ideas , examples would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

also you don't need to do an introduction if there is a photo....so "whilst mary was playing with the other children in the sand pit she asked johnny to pass her the bucket can just be " can i have the bucket please" and an assessment about relationships for example 

• Like 1

I'd just say this:

Focus on the quality, not the quantity! Observations are there to support and illustrate your judgements and knowledge of the child when you make formative or summative decisions about what to do next. (in that moment or in the longer term, doesn't matter which.)

Fewer well observed records of learning, know what you want to find out before you start...what are the next steps you are targeting through your interactions? OR are ou just capturing anything and everything in the hope of getting something? Being more specific in what you are looking or listening for may help. 

Are you recording things you already know? If so why bother!! You don't need to write it down to know it or tell someone else it.

Record the child's voice and what they are saying - you want to know what they are thinking and how they are processing towards their intention/learning

Write in the present tense to avoid turning your observation into an evaluation/prediction. just capture an observation.

Cx

• Like 1

22 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

also you don't need to do an introduction if there is a photo....so "whilst mary was playing with the other children in the sand pit she asked johnny to pass her the bucket can just be " can i have the bucket please" and an assessment about relationships for example 

Def agree FM, ‘a picture paints a thousand words’, I really have no interest in reading a 2000 word essay to get to the facts and that’s if there’s any useful learning recorded, they’re going to ‘tick’ the statements in their Tap obs to assess it anyway so why write it all and then wonder why they don’t have enough time, I do note the language used by the child to assess their knowledge and understanding but only really see a use for long obs if you’re evidence gathering for a specific reason e.g. a sen concern.

Edited by Mouseketeer