Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ppe Reopening Nursery

Greenfinch

Hi everyone. I hope you are all well and enjoying your weekends. Apologies if this is in another thread - please move this if it is or feel free to redirect me. I’ve been lazy and not checked through as I seem to spend all my time reading guidelines etc at the moment. We are reopening on 29th. A small manageable group of 10 children (babies and preschool age) shorter sessions 9-2 . Not cooking lunches so all providing own.Parents hand over outside - we are lucky to have different doors for safe handover of babies and preschool. I feel happy with what I’ve set in place - handwashing regularly, cleaning surfaces regularly and allowing for 1 hr deep clean when children leave at 2. Staff will be able to socially distance, parents will have to sign an agreement re. understanding symptoms of Covid and all the safeguards we have put in place which many of you have mentioned.I have usual ppe gloves, aprons and have also purchased disposable masks, reusable masks and visors. My question is - do any of you wear masks and gloves all the time? I am anticipating being outdoors a lot but I’d considered masks mainly for intimate care, baby feeding,Mealtimes, comforting and close up contact (rocking to sleep). I have a member of staff who thinks we should wear masks all day long.Obviously I want everyone to feel safe and happy but I hadn’t anticipated us wearing masks all the time as part of our safe practice which is why I’m asking what other settings are doing, particularly those who have been operating throughout this period. I also wonder whether to give her the option to start back later (unpaid) if she wants to see how we are all working and feels more confident to return.Any advice welcome! Thank you.

• Like 2

Hi we’ve been open since 1st June (so not all through) but we aren’t wearing any PPE unless it’s needed, we have said we’ll use if nappy changing or we have it if managing someone who shows symptoms, all staff were happy with that, we talked more about not putting yourself in the line of coughs and sneezes unless it couldn’t be helped, sit beside rather than directly in front of to close, if needing to help with zips or shoes do it from behind the child type thing.

There is a very good ‘coronacast’ video on YouTube May 8th with a Dr Matt Butler (I think his name was) if you can get your staff to watch that it might help them feel a bit easier about it all, it did us 🙂 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 1

Hi I'm pretty sure guidance is still that we do not routinely wear marks. I have made up packs of Ppe for each member of staff including Mask, visor, plastic apron and gloves and put aside in case we have a suspected case but that's the only time would expect to use them. We started back 1st June and so far all  going ok and staff accept we are going to be working quite close to our children at times.

• Like 2

No PPE for us either...way to frightening for the children IMO. we have a set for the 'vomit station' other than that just the normal stuff for toileting etc (gloves and aprons) and we all have clip on gel , but handwashing regularly is still the best protection.

• Like 2

I think I must be the Meanie Manager- I said if you want to wear plastic aprons and gloves all day- fine but make sure you wash the gloves as much as those of us who aren't and absolutely no masks- unless you are changing nappies and then it's up to you. I feel quite strongly that there are very few occasions when the wearing of masks are needed with small children and normal day to day care is not one of them. I have got them & face shields and I had 2 staff- one wanted to wear home made masks as she felt 'they wouldn't frighten the children' but it's not just a case of frightening them- people are so hard to understand when they are wearing masks. Another wanted to wear a face shield - but again I said no. I just said if you feel that unsafe that you feel these are needed then perhaps working in EY's isnt the place for you. 

• Like 4

Same - PPE only for nappy changing (or dealing with a wet accident/vomit/blood) and if a child shows symptoms, they will be isolated with a member of staff wearing ppe whilst awaiting collection.

21 hours ago, lynned55 said:

I think I must be the Meanie Manager

Not mean at all - I have also said to a few staff that say they are afraid to come back that they need to consider their options in terms of job role as this virus isn't going away any time soon. I did have one who asked me if she could work from home as her partner is working from home and really enjoying it (He's a software writer!!!) and another one who said she was very nervous and anxious about returning to work and then we discovered she was in the Primark queue at 8.00 am last Monday morning!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GFCCCC said:

Same - PPE only for nappy changing (or dealing with a wet accident/vomit/blood) and if a child shows symptoms, they will be isolated with a member of staff wearing ppe whilst awaiting collection.

Not mean at all - I have also said to a few staff that say they are afraid to come back that they need to consider their options in terms of job role as this virus isn't going away any time soon. I did have one who asked me if she could work from home as her partner is working from home and really enjoying it (He's a software writer!!!) and another one who said she was very nervous and anxious about returning to work and then we discovered she was in the Primark queue at 8.00 am last Monday morning!!

OMG!! I would be so angry at that- Have you spoken to them about it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lynned55 said:

OMG!! I would be so angry at that- Have you spoken to them about it

I would be absolutely furious and think it would be grounds for disciplinary.  I understand that everyone has a different take on this and some are much more anxious than others, but to find out that a member of staff had been that deceitful while others are working hard, trying to make this situation work for everyone would be hard to come back from.

Back to PPE, we're only using PPE for personal care and have a small stock of "full" PPE in case someone is showing symptoms

• Like 2

Thank you for replies - interesting isn’t it! Leading on from this - if a member of staff says they don’t feel It’s safe to come back (ppe or not...) am I able to offer unpaid leave until they feel more confident? (Even though I know this person has actually been visiting and staying at bf house - she’s told me and I suspect she’s hoping to remain longer on furlough but we are reopening so ...

If they are not clinically vulnerable then i would have a meeting with them to see what their concerns are and tell them what you already have in place. Then i would be saying that i would like them back by XXX if they refused then !! well if you refused to come to work what would happen!

I have been very clear with staff. I sent letters stating what opening dates were and extended furloughs to those dates. They were/are expected back on those dates and would be contacted personally to be given exact hours.

• Anyone who was unable to work due to no childcare was to write and ask for extended dependents leave (this does not include school age children as they can go to school as childcare workers are key workers).
  • Anyone who is shielded is required to forward a copy of their shielding letter and keep us informed of updates.  
  • Anyone who has symptoms or lives with someone who has symptoms should self isolate and send us a sick note and will be paid SSP only.

Everyone else is expected back at work. If they are anxious, they may come in to the setting in advance and see the risk assessments and all the measures that have been put in place to keep them safe and have a discussion with HR. If they still don't want to come back, they resign.

May seem a bit harsh but this virus isn't going to disappear anytime soon and they cannot stay off work indefinitely.  

Edited by GFCCCC
  • Like 2