Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Roleplay, loose parts and tidying up!!

Hi!

I haven't been on for a few weeks, so Happy New Year and hope you are all well.

We have recently removed all our items from our roleplay area apart from the telephones, a till, an armchair and  a small table with chairs. The reason behind this was the constant mess that the children made - everyday nearly all the items would end up on the floor and stood on. We tried different strategies to encourage respectful use of the resources but came to a bit of a dead end as nothing seemed to work. We had set up this area with real plates, cups etc and loose parts for food (corks, small natural blocks etc) there was also blankets and material and open-ended dressing up clothes. 

It has been really interesting seeing the children play in what is essentially an empty space which is still as popular as ever! The children have been bringing items from other areas to use as food etc. However, as before the items have been left all over the floor with adults constantly asking children to pick things up! 

So now we are unsure of what to do. Put some items back in but keep minimal? Allow or not allow children to use items from other areas (we generally allow this as long as children take items back!!). And how to get children to respect resources more (this is a problem in other areas e.g. children standing on books). Do we live in such a throw away society that children think everything can be replaced? Or are we expecting too much of the children in terms of tidying up and respecting resources. 

All the adults are good at reminding children to put things away after using them and will all bring the children back if they have moved to another area. 

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

TIA

Green Hippo xxx

This is something we are struggling with at the moment. Children seem to have no awareness or respect for looking after our things and I think it may be a sign of the times.  I feel that a lot of parents may not expect children to tidy up at home and this carries into school then.
 We have reduced the amount of resources available on the shelves and are really going back to basics with explaining about how to look after resources and what will happen if we don’t. Like you, throughout the session children are reminded to tidy away what they have finished playing with, by this I mean the ones who come along like a tornado and empty every box out on the floor then walk away!  Not the ones who are engaged and may return to their game later.  At tidy up time, I now bring everyone to the carpet and give specific jobs to children we call this ‘team playgroup’ and make a big thing about team playgroup are great etc and for whatever reason the children love this and it has worked really well for us.  
Years ago we used to play the Bob the builder song as our tidy up song.  As soon as the children heard it they would jump to action and tidy up, so could be something you could introduce?

Good luck and I hope it improves for you soon.

AH have you both been in my setting today??!!xD  had a prospective parent in today...they didn't look impressed!!  We keep talking about this issue with the team and i think it's just a case of plodding on... we do sometimes reward the goodies with a sticker (not my favourite behaviour strategy but seems to work with this group)

I think

a/ children have too many things

b/ they are plastic and unbreakable

c/they have play rooms and are not expected to tidy up at home

d/ they spend way too much time on tablets/screens which do not require tidying up or indeed interacting with! 

• Like 4

I also wish staff would sometimes show more respect for things and lead by example (think we had this conversation the other day).

We have photos in each area showing how they should look after tidy up time with a smiley face and a trashed photo with a sad face........not sure it works but hey it’s another sign giving a meaning 😆 

• Like 2

me too....I don't know what happens when I'm not there but I always spend the first part of my morning when I get back putting everything back where it belongs...they (staff) KNOW where it goes but just fling it in whatever box / basket /shelf is nearest.  SOOOOO frustrating!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, green hippo said:

Thank you for all your support and ideas. We have decided to put the children in teams for each area. It worked on Friday...I shall keep you updated!

Seems to be the best option for us too and the "see who can get it on the box before i count to 10!!"

We also keep a note on the wipe board saying which children were seen transporting, emptying etc (as often we don't want to interrupt focused play)  So those one's get sent to clear up at tidy up time or at an appropriate point during the session.    

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)