Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unqualified staff

Hi,

Does anyone employ unqualified staff to work in the Early years. I know it states in the guidance that individuals over 17 can be counted in the ratios if the provider feels they are competent and responsible but I guess I just need some advice and reassurance as a new manager that this is okay.

Yes I have a lovely lady been there longer than anyone, as long as you abide by the qualified to unqualified rational it is fine. I take into account where I put her and the role I expect her to carry out but to be fair shes one of my best. 

I have taken on unqualified staff quite often whom then end up on a work based qualification. 

9 hours ago, Foreveryoung said:

Yes I have a lovely lady been there longer than anyone, as long as you abide by the qualified to unqualified rational it is fine. I take into account where I put her and the role I expect her to carry out but to be fair shes one of my best. 

I have taken on unqualified staff quite often whom then end up on a work based qualification. 

Ditto everything you have said. We have an unqualified lady who has worked there over twenty years and is fabulous. I just wish she would take the plunge and train to level two but it’s not going to happen now. 

3 hours ago, zigzag said:

Ditto everything you have said. We have an unqualified lady who has worked there over twenty years and is fabulous. I just wish she would take the plunge and train to level two but it’s not going to happen now. 

We've just had a unqualified member join us from another local setting that closed down (well she's been with us almost a year now)  When I asked why she hadn't progressed to qualified  as she had been there a very long time, she told me the other setting wouldn't support her to do it!:o   Glad to say she is now - after a full interview with a training provider doing the level 3 :)