Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Still learning!

finleysmaid

so after many years of doing preschool there are some things that crop up that i haven't had to do before...today i suggested a mum took her child home and brought him back after christmas (oohps said the C word sorry!) 

I have NEVER seen a child have so much of a problem with any separation  ( I mean like a foot away!) even my littlies with SEND do not have this much of a problem. We have been working with the family for a week but today was horrendous. It was only when we started investigating more that mum explained that they have moved country and house several times within the last 6 months, they are still in a temporary flat and just about to move in to their house in the village. Poor chap speaks no English, has never been left with anyone and is not 3 till dec. His melt downs were so bad that he was hurting himself (head banging and throwing himself in to the air and slamming down on to the ground) 

I have suggested that i contact the health visitor ..that they attend triple p and that they settle him in to his new home before returning ..poor Mum was a bit devastaded, even with lots of TLC . It is so tricky for some of these poor families...new country/new language/no friends /no family and no support.........tough day:(

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, BenC said:

Think you did the right thing as causing distress is so harmful in the long run too. Can you invite them both in for some sessions / fun activities etc during this time too? This may help settle the child when they start to come back as they'll feel a bit more secure. 

Thanks for replying Ben. I did consider this as an option but he would need to come in with his Mum and i suspect (with this child) that he would become used to this and we would then have another issue when it came to separation later. As he is still only 2 and with all the changes i think he just needs to settle in to his new home and know where he 'belongs' first. Interestingly  having contacted the health visitor this child is not known in this country (no registration)...they've been here for 6 months! anyway the HV is now on the case so we'll pick them up again in a few weeks and see how things areO.o:)

• Like 1