Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help with colour bands

zigzag

Help please.  I am sure it’s me being silly but when completing tracking today I noticed that when putting 30-50 in for a child it comes up green (at actual age) but then when I put 40-60 for the same child it comes up pink (below actual age).   I don’t understand, have I got my bands and refinements set up incorrectly? Any advice would be most welcomed.

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

Help please.  I am sure it’s me being silly but when completing tracking today I noticed that when putting 30-50 in for a child it comes up green (at actual age) but then when I put 40-60 for the same child it comes up pink (below actual age).   I don’t understand, have I got my bands and refinements set up incorrectly? Any advice would be most welcomed.

ok ..I think I can explain!! this will be to do with previous obs logged for this child. The colour coding is relevant to the points progress not to the actual age of the child. It is based on a numerical calculation so, depending on what you have already posted for them it may change the colour.

(a....I hope this is correct and b....I hope you can understand my drivel !)

Hi zigzag and finleysmaid,

Thank you finleysmaid for you help :) 

Zigzab, based on what you are saying it is possible that you have your summative assessment colour coding set up so it also takes the refinement into account. If this is enabled, your summative assessment will display the colour based on the refinements (emerging, developing and secure). 

Each age band is divided in three refinements: Emerging, Developing and Secure. Each refinement takes an age frame within the age band. For instance, the 30-50 age band is divided in 30-37 as Emerging, 37-43 as Developing, and 43-50 as Secure. 40-60, on the other side, is divided in 40-47 (E), 47-53 (D) and 53-60 (S). As you can see, there is some overlap between the age bands, so a child that was showing as working at their age on a lower age band, might end up showing as working below when they move up an age band in the same assessment period. The second screenshot in this tutorial shows you exactly how the age bands are broken down. 

Also, the summative assessment considers a child's age as it would be at the midpoint of the assessment period. This is, if an assessment period goes from September to December, and a child starts the period as being 46 months old, but will finish at 50 months old, the system will consider the child as being 48 months old throughout the entire period.

So let's say that your child is, indeed, 48 months old at your period's midpoint. In this case, when they are assessed as 30-50 Secure they will show as green as they are working at their age within the age band and the refinement - remember that secure in this age band covers from 43-50. However, if they are assessed as Emerging for 40-60, although the age band might seem higher than the previous one, because they are assessed with a refinement of Emerging, the summative assessment will recognise them as being assessed for the refinement period 40-47, which is below their age of 48 and, thus, it will show the results in red.

I appreciate it might take a little while to get your head around this 'maths' but once you understand this everything will appear much clearer!

So if your summative assessments use refinements when assigning the colour coding for whether a child is above, at or below expectations it will consider their age against the age period that each refinement is within that age band.

You can check if this is clicked on control panel > settings > summative assessments.

I hope this was helpful!

Best wishes,

Olaya