Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dilemma

Ok I have one of my lovely little chaps starting to do 30 hours as from today. He has been diagnosed with ASD (although I think that is not the correct diagnosis!!) but he does need a significant amount of help. He currently has no additional funding and we are running on a staff of 3 in the afternoons. ...this is fine except I now have one of my other chaps also SEND with no diagnosis and no money ask for a 3o  hour space. He needs constant (and I mean constant) supervision and teaching. What do I do?????

Cry ??    

Seriously though, are these young ones or is it just for the last term?  If younger  do you know if extra funding will be forthcoming at some point? Our area Sendco is very good and will advise us if they think we will get funding longterm, and what dates the funding panel sit.

I wish there was funding available!! we have 2 funding streams (as neither have or are likely to have an EHCP in place before school) ...we can access SEN funding for specifics up to £1000 per term  maximum (so that's about £14 a day!) and disability living which we may be able to get for the other child but unlikely for this one.both are young and will be with us for at least next year I think. the thing is even with funding it's still not enough to get an extra person in. The more challenging one is apparently also now enquiring about after school club....he's not even toilet trained yet and we only have 2 staff for that. I don't want to get in to an issue with discrimination but really what is anyone supposed to do. NO wonder these poor guys struggle in education. 

On 24/04/2019 at 17:41, finleysmaid said:

I wish there was funding available!! we have 2 funding streams (as neither have or are likely to have an EHCP in place before school) ...we can access SEN funding for specifics up to £1000 per term  maximum (so that's about £14 a day!) and disability living which we may be able to get for the other child but unlikely for this one.both are young and will be with us for at least next year I think. the thing is even with funding it's still not enough to get an extra person in. The more challenging one is apparently also now enquiring about after school club....he's not even toilet trained yet and we only have 2 staff for that. I don't want to get in to an issue with discrimination but really what is anyone supposed to do. NO wonder these poor guys struggle in education. 

Having learnt through experience my view would be to make a list of all the issues on one side of a page and on the other side of the page write down what 'reasonable adjustments' you could make to accommodate their needs. You might then have a clearer picture of what you can and cannot provide for them - and what you cannot, having considered reasonable adjustments, is what you take back to your LA, to parents and maybe to local charity groups to facilitate. 

• Like 1