Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Independent study topic ideas

Hi, I am currently in my final year of BA (hons) early childhood studies. I have elected to do an independent study module and would like some topic suggestions or to hear your thoughts on the following topics and how I could possibly focus them?:

• two year olds in maintained nursery’s (do they have a place)
  • early intervention (giving children the best start)
  • Care vs education
  • language and literacy
  • early childhood pedagogues/teaching

The assignment brief is to write a 4000 word essay which critically analyses a body of relevant literature around a students chosen topic area.  Many thanks for your guidance. 

As an immediate thought, the plural of 'nursery' is 'nurseries' and I think that one is a good one to go for.   I feel that the other ones have probably been done many times, but the issue of two year olds in maintained settings is very current.  Many preschools and playgroups seem to be closing down because maintained settings are encouraging parents to put their children into nurseries, where often they are not ready for that environment.   I'd be interested to read any 'pros', as from my perspective, it all appears to be 'cons'!    Very young children have been in PVI settings for decades and it has long been held that this is the best place for them, next to their own homes.  It will be interesting to see, down the line, if these smaller environments have any influence on physical development, especially in light of the article about activity posted on here just recently.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cait said:

It will be interesting to see, down the line, if these smaller environments have any influence on physical development, especially in light of the article about activity posted on here just recently.   

Did you mean this one Cait - Dr. Lala Manners wrote our recent article called ‘Energy’ which asks questions such as 'What compromises children’s energy levels?' and 'What can we do to enhance children’s energy levels?'

Hi teasel. I'd recommend a focus on something that really interests you. All of your thoughts are potential studies, although would need honing down to something more specific. 

If you decided to go with the 2 year olds in maintained nurseries, you would need to look at it from different viewpoints.   My experiences are different from Cait's in that the ones I work with are not only not especially small but are also amongst the best I've seen. ( whilst also acknowledging that 'best' is subjective).  It has always been my long held view that good and bad exists in all types of setting, and no one type has a monopoly on good or "best" practice.  Sometimes having a variety of opinions makes for a reaaly good essay, and 4000 might sound like a lot but really isn't. 

So what are you passionate in wanting to learn more about?

• Like 1

Good points, Mundia.  Yes, there are definitely shining and outstanding examples on both sides of the equation, as well as sad ones.   

As Munda says, 4000 words probably will only scratch the surface of whatever you choose to do.  Before you know it you'll be axing paragraphs and simplifying sentences so you can cram it all in! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)