Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guardian research 'Men in early years'

• 7 months later...

It hardly needs a survey to tell them there’s no money in it, I think it stems from the many moons ago ‘playschools’ were mainly staffed by mums who were either volunteering or working for pin money and lets face it not much has changed (maybe not the full time nurseries, but still the committee run preschool/playgroups), how many of us could really afford to do what we do if someone else wasn’t subsiding it or we weren’t still doing umpteen hours voluntarily, I still get asked when I’m getting a proper job 30 yrs later :bananas:

• Like 1

Nursery world today was talking about the MITEY report that  parents are often uncomfortable with male practitioners dealing with intimate care. Sadly this is never going to bode well for getting more male practitioners into early years.  Until there is a cultural shift on this, then it doesn't matter how much you pay someone, it still won't attract a lot more men into early years.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 08:33, Mouseketeer said:

It hardly needs a survey to tell them there’s no money in it, I think it stems from the many moons ago ‘playschools’ were mainly staffed by mums who were either volunteering or working for pin money and lets face it not much has changed (maybe not the full time nurseries, but still the committee run preschool/playgroups), how many of us could really afford to do what we do if someone else wasn’t subsiding it or we weren’t still doing umpteen hours voluntarily, I still get asked when I’m getting a proper job 30 yrs later :bananas:

Well said Mousie I totally agree

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mundia said:

Nursery world today was talking about the MITEY report that  parents are often uncomfortable with male practitioners dealing with intimate care. Sadly this is never going to bode well for getting more male practitioners into early years.  Until there is a cultural shift on this, then it doesn't matter how much you pay someone, it still won't attract a lot more men into early years.

Isn't it sad, must be awful to be viewed with suspicion because of your gender :(