Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training - who do you use?

Hi All wondered if you have advice please.

I have a lovely lady who has been working with me since September.  She is a natural, caring person eager to learn the ways of the Early Education establishment and EYFS.  Everything we have thrown at her she has picked up really quickly and is now even beginning to write observations. 

She is keen to start studying for level 3 but doesn't want to go full time to college.  The apprenticeship is asking for 30 hours works which she also does not want to do and to be honest I cannot offer her that much work.

I get bombarded with emails from various companies offering distance learning and flexible learning options.  Wondered if any of you had experienced any of them and if you would recommend any that you know about or can recommend.

I am in Surrey.

my member of staff did learn direct...they seem to have a varied reputation, I think it's really up to the tutor you get and how self motivated your member of staff is if it works or not. My lady did really well with them (and was the year who had to do their gcse's too!) it was easy for us (they have to do 16 hours of work per week) and the tutor came in to do her Obs.

It didn't cost anything and was easy to set up. The trainee needs to have a bit of IT skill !

• Thanks 1

We have used YMCA training and again have had very mixed results.  One of my staff started off with one tutor who was absolutely dire (I won't go into details but she eventually left her job!) Staff member was then passed on to another tutor who was fantastic!  Motivating, encouraging, professional, approachable, knowledgeable - everything  you would want!  The member of staff passed with flying colours and went on to study to level 5.  So for us it was the teacher/tutor she had rather than the training provider.

• Thanks 1

Yes, similar experiences with YMCA. We have also used The Childcare Company, we have had one learner go through with them - we were pleased with how they managed things, the tutor was very nice and was accessible. Again, you need to have good IT skills as it is online with visits to the setting for observations and assessments.

• Thanks 1