Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

AGM....starting to worry!

C1403

Evening All

We have our AGM next week and I am starting to worry. 

Everything is in order re reports/accounts however our strong committee of 10 is reducing to 3 (maybe 4). Also losing the treasurer with no one else staying on able to step into the role.

We need a minimum of 5, so I'm really hoping parents show up. We have sent invites and are having a social/presentation before hand but if the Facebook event is anything to go by we may only have two parents show up.

Anyone not been able to form a committee at an AGM before? What do you do if you can't? 

Edited by C1403

It’s such a constant worry isn’t it, believe me I feel your pain.  What constitution are you operating under?  If you look at this I it will tell you what you can do and the process to follow.  I am sure I have read somewhere that there is a way to run with three trustees if this is the only way to remain operational.  As I say read your constitution.  Good luck and let us know what happens.

I worry every year, especially now, as our numbers are so low, but am very lucky at the present time as parents who’s children have left but have siblings who will come to us have stayed on the commmittee.  I don’t know what we would have done without them.  

• Thanks 1

I believe it's the 2008 constitution. We need at least five members (including the three officers).

Chair (myself) and Secretary are staying on but we are losing the Treasurer. 

I think we have a firm 3 members staying on and a questionable 4th as she may be moving.

I did email PLA a year ago and they said they would consider reducing to three. I'll be honest I've spent the past year doing most things myself. This is my daughter's last year so I'll see it through best I can.

AGM may not even happen now as three of our current members can't make it for personal reasons, and I haven't heard from two others.

What a headache!

Hi

We have been in that sort of situation before and we reduced it to only having to have 3 members, however because of us being a parent committee run setting I also did a letter and handed it out to all our parents stating that if enough parents did not attend and did not join the committee then we would have to look at closing down as we would not be able to run! it was amazing how many parents actually bothered to get off their backsides and attend that meeting lol.

2 hours ago, ladybirds1991 said:

Hi

We have been in that sort of situation before and we reduced it to only having to have 3 members, however because of us being a parent committee run setting I also did a letter and handed it out to all our parents stating that if enough parents did not attend and did not join the committee then we would have to look at closing down as we would not be able to run! it was amazing how many parents actually bothered to get off their backsides and attend that meeting lol.

Was this after your AGM meeting 

Our AGM is tomorrow so I'm wondering what we do if as I'd 8pm tomorrow we only have 4 members?

I'm going to call PLA to check. 

Last resort could be allowing staff to join, our constitution does say they can but only if checked with the PLA first?

I've just spoken to PLA. They have stated that unless we can get the five required members then those exiting the committee would remain 'in post' until a new committee can be formed.

She also said they would allow us to reduce to three members but we would have to adopt the new 2012 mem and arts (we are limited company).

Staff can become an affiliate member and then join the committee.

If after an EGM and trying to recruit we are unable to form a committee the we would be looking at closure but they would do as much as possible to avoid that.

Think that's answered all my worries.

Now to convince parents to join the Committee!

Sorry it is late but I just had to celebrate.

We have a committee!! 4 parents signed up tonight and we even got a Treasurer.

I am hoping they won't be put off when I send the next part (registering with companies house, Ofsted etc).

I am so happy I could burst...and they all have younger children too!

One more year and I'm off :-)

• Like 8

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)