Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Runner bean seeds

Can anyone tell me if there is any reason why children should not play with runner bean seeds? Want to use them in the tuff tray.

Edited to say I have just looked them up and they may be poisonous if eaten.  I am guessing it is best to steer well clear just in case? 

Edited by zigzag

4 hours ago, Panders said:

oh yes, mildlt toxic.   chickpeas are ok.  ypu could colour them like rice - really easy to do

I have coloured chick peas, they are fab.  Just thought the beans would be a different counting object and good for sizing activity as well.  Will do it 1-1 so can keep a close eye.🙂

• Like 1

We play a game with butter beans.  You prepare by spray painting one side of the beans and leave to dry (I did mine gold as I had some paint!).  Then children take a handful and throw them in the air.  They count how many land gold side up and how many plain.  Capable children can record how many and see who gets the most gold.  They love it!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stargrower said:

We play a game with butter beans.  You prepare by spray painting one side of the beans and leave to dry (I did mine gold as I had some paint!).  Then children take a handful and throw them in the air.  They count how many land gold side up and how many plain.  Capable children can record how many and see who gets the most gold.  They love it!

Love that idea.  Thank you for sharing. 🙂

• Like 1

Pretty much all beans have some toxicity when eaten raw, in varying quantities, but in all honesty the possibility of choking is probably greater than the possibility of poisoning, because children are highly unlikely to eat enough to make them really sick, (they taste really awful) , but could choke on just one.

Like all things, risk assess, have an adult with the activity and talk to the children about not eating them. You'll know if you have children that like a bible of anything.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2018 at 11:07, mundia said:

Like all things, risk assess, have an adult with the activity and talk to the children about not eating them. You'll know if you have children that like a bible of anything.

Mundia ... a bible? A nibble perhaps? Or are there specific instructions about the ingestion of beans in the U5s listed in the New Testament? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Did you miss that sneaky verse in Revelations?  it's called that for a reason you know. 

Yes a nibble,  my phone makes the most ridiculous corrections . Well a poor typist has to blame something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)