Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

unexpected closure

Hi all,

Had some electrical issues at nursery today and can't accept any children in tomorrow, no telling when the power will come back on. Had to call around to parents at 9PM to tell them, luckily they were all very understanding.

Has anyone had this issue?

Did you charge parents for they day?

Did you pay staff for they day?

One option I saw elswhere was offering parents an alternate day to make up for it, any thoughts?

Im sure offering parents alternative sessions would be acceptable to most, unless their child is full time, then you would have to open extra days at the end of the term if you are term time, would you be in a position to do that?   As for staff, it's not their fault either - can they fill their time catching up on outstanding observations or planning, cleaning etc.  Depends really how long this is likely to go on for.  Maybe your electrician will be able to tell you more tomorrow.    So many variables in this, whether you own the premises, rent etc., are you full days, full time term time:D etc., hope it resolves itself quickly.

When we close for snow (very unusual, but the Beast from the East got us this year!) I refund parents.  If we are open and staff do not come in, they don't get paid but can take the day as paid holiday if they wish.  If we close, then I do pays staff.  We are full daycare, open all year.  Hope you get things sorted soon.

the power came back on today and the staff have had the day off, so all can go back to normal Monday morning. I think I'll stick to giving parents an alternitive day and refund full timers. Need to pay staff as normal but feel like as they handled the evacuation and the whole crises so well that it is deserved.

Going to call insurance to see if we can get any compensation. Any advice on that?

We use Tapestry and only senior staff can access at home, they would be writing up observations, reviewing observations and writing next steps. Reviewing progress annd checking that children are 'on track'. Other staff could be planning and researching ideas to challenge and motivate children or planning displays for the term ahead. There are also online free courses which I would ask them to complete.

• Like 3

If your with PSLA educare have some good free courses, Prevent and FGM are free so could always refresh them, though I would probably get ‘my laptop/pc isn’t working’, would banking the hours to cover future meetings/out of hours training work so that you wouldn’t need to pay overtime until the hours are used up?

• Like 1