Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should I have tackled this?

I'm pretty sure I've done right to ignore what I've heard tonight, but just checking.  Miss Six and Mr Seven on the swings.  Miss Six spends most of her time hanging upside down and swinging from the cross-bar.  Mr Seven tells her she's a 'monkey'.  'Yeah you're a monkey,  you're a real monkey'.   Nothing wrong there no-one is offended, except,..., Miss Six is African mixed race.  Mr Seven is white British.   I'm feeling awkward.  Do you think a quiet word tomorrow?   They're oblivious to any difference, why point it out?  Except...this same child, in a fit of pique some weeks back, muttered something about, 'the poo coloured people'?  Certainly nothing he  would have heard at home - all his own work.  Any reassurance or challenges appreciated.

I would say the other comment is more worrying.  Maybe some group work around similarities and differences, positive images of people of all different skin tones etc. It may well be born of curiosity and open discussion could address any questions / questioning thoughts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)