Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rome and Venice

zigzag

So hopefully myself and my husband are off to Rome and Venice at half term.  We are making the trip by train as I will not fly!  Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels in both cities and any “must do, must see” ideas? 🇮🇹

• Like 1

Always wanted to go to Rome and especially the Trevi fountain (read too many Danielle Steele books when I was younger).  But want to go there now as some of my sisters ashes were put there, so think it may be a little emotional.

• Like 2

For both comfy walking shoes and a good map, 

I have visited both but not for a while now, Venice is very costly, we used local water taxi to get around when not on foot, worth it for the experience, staying overnight it is worth a wander around once all the day tourists have gone.

Rome was local buses and on foot- it is always busy there , Vatican and Sistine Chapel both have very long queues, and security to check bags is almost everywhere.  There are a lot of water fountains around the city so take/ reuse a water bottle to avoid the high costs of bottled water, all is safe from the tap. We found with a map we could walk to all the places we wanted to visit.. our hotel was out of the city centre so we used buses as well, was easy .. ask where you are staying to help with that if you need to.  

• Like 1

Just had a look at the web cams, gosh the Trevi Fountain is really crowded, ws not like that when we visited, was able to spend time sitting on the edge of the water.. (yes I did manage a sneaky paddle  too..), 

venice is offline.. 

Our 'Children' sent us to Rome as a present for a big birthday last December. Always wanted to go. Had an AMAZING five days. Did all the touristy stuff. Had fun on the hop on/hop off buses (unlimited travel with a prepaid card we were given) . We did the Sistene Chapel , the Vatican, Trevi fountain. We didn't queue because the boys had bought us 'jump the queue' cards. For the life of me i can't remember what they were called.

My word of warning is if you see the Roman Soldiers in and around the vatican - do NOT accept their offer to have a photograph taken with them! When we were having lunch we saw soooo many people getting roped in. They get someone to take photos of you and them on your mobile - then they try to charge you. Some of them were quite unpleasant when people complained.

Feeling envious as i would LOVE to go back and will do one day. Have a lovely time

16 minutes ago, Inge said:

Just had a look at the web cams, gosh the Trevi Fountain is really crowded, ws not like that when we visited, was able to spend time sitting on the edge of the water.. (yes I did manage a sneaky paddle  too..), 

venice is offline.. 

Yes that main picture when you open up the site is quite often offline, but you just need to scroll down the page and other webcams come up like Trevi Ftn, or Grand Canal

• Like 1