Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Breakfast Club

Hi

I'm looking for some formal guidance on Breakfast Club provision run by a school.

I need to clarify what ratios and what training and qualification would be required for a provision which includes Reception children. I can only find 'guidance' and the EYFS Framework isn't too clear!

Perhaps the childminder ratios might be applicable.  Depending on available space  the ratio for non-teacher led groups is no more than six children under eight years old.  Children who are 'rising five' and attending school can be considered as being 'under eight' rather than 'early years'.  The over eights aren't limited but best practice would not be more than ten children in total.  Insurance  should be taken into consideration (mine allows 12 children in total).   Does this make sense?  Ofsted would only refer you to the standards and say it's your responsibility to be able to demonstrate how they are being met.   Running my kids around otherwise I'd have a proper look at the standards.

Honey

9 hours ago, Madmum said:

Hi

I'm looking for some formal guidance on Breakfast Club provision run by a school.

I need to clarify what ratios and what training and qualification would be required for a provision which includes Reception children. I can only find 'guidance' and the EYFS Framework isn't too clear!

I also tried to find all this information Madmum a while ago but couldn’t  find anything of any use...surely there have to be regulations somewhere?

Thanks. That's what I'd found already. I feel they definitely need Paediatric First Aid and Food Hygiene but as you said earlier about who can run it, there seems to be a reliance on there being other people in the building who tick the boxes.

They do need to have first aid themselves and food hygiene and safeguarding training....but all other regulations (if you are in school) seem to have been dispensed of! They won't be keyholders  and they aren't supposed to work alone ...but there are no limits to qualifications/ratio of children etc by the sounds of things. No wonder i can't compete when i have to stick to the rules of the EYFS ....even though mine are (in some cases) a couple of weeks younger then reception!

The three local schools running BC's run them with dinner ladies in charge

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This was the reason I was trying to find out, I knew local schools were taking reception and younger siblings at before/after clubs, I presumed they’d need the same ratios as us but was told they didn’t but couldn’t find any regulations to back this up ...one rule for one 

• Sad 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)