Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boat dwellers and schools

Ok bit of an interesting one...hope someone might know the answer

I have a family who live on a boat .The boat is currently in dry dock and they have moved in to a flat on a temporary basis.

The council have written to them and said they won't currently process their application for a school place because they do not pay council tax.

I am assuming this is the same for travelling families....does anyone know how this is dealt with in their authority?

Thanks both!

This has been sorted!!! paperwork seemed to be the issue as they don't pay council tax we have had to be 'creative' about the evidence they require ....bonus is that they have also said because this is their 'lifestyle' choice that they should be entitled to EYPP and potentially the younger sibling may be entitled to a funded 2 space! astonishing really as they definitely earn more than the EYPP 'amount' (Dad runs the boat yard!! and is the chief engineer!)

Dad very happy with our help...so much so that he has offered to 'sail' the boat round to the river near us in the summer and we can have a picnic!:D RESULT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you got it sorted, well done.  Fabulous news about the picnic on the boat, sounds like fun.  Wonder why just because this is their lifestyle they are possibly going to get funding and EYPP.  Sounds like yet another case of EYPP being paid where it is not needed!

Just now, zigzag said:

Glad you got it sorted, well done.  Fabulous news about the picnic on the boat, sounds like fun.  Wonder why just because this is their lifestyle they are possibly going to get funding and EYPP.  Sounds like yet another case of EYPP being paid where it is not needed!

Believe me neither the dad or i could quite work that out but apparently it means that they come under the travellers 'rules' and are therefore entitled to it. Not going to say no to an extra bit of money but i might struggle to find what to buy ...perhaps a load of narrow boat toys???!!! anyone know a supplier!xD

• Haha 1