Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunchbox contents

zigzag

I have always been of the opion that it is not my place to tell parents what they can or can’t put in their child’s lunchbox but I have become quite concerned recently about what a couple of children are bringing in.  It is not only the content but the amount that some children come with, it’s quite shocking.  Obviously we limit what we actually let the children have and send the rest home.  I am interested in what other providers do to try and combat this problem without getting parents backs up.  Any ideas and advice would be most welcome.

Food is the issue this morning zigzag^_^

I'm afraid I have had to become much more active in this area with my parents ...last year was a bit of an issue so I have started as I mean to go on this year (after all ofsted also inspect what they are given even if it's not supplied by us!)

I had a bit of a argument with a parent on Friday that her child did not need tomato ketchup with his cold Pizza !:o

I have written a set of guidelines to add to lunchboxes to help with choices and I will challenge continued bad selections. My issue this week is yakult bottles ...which have 2 teaspoons of sugar in each which is half of the children's recommended daily allowance.

• Haha 1

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/22/jamie-oliver-school-cake-bake-sales-send-wrong-message/

SO this is the article from the telegraph ...I have to agree that I don't think we should be giving doughnuts for attending school but it's a balance I guess. kids attend school and get a reward once a week or don't attend??? difficult one. Some of these families are very hard to reach . What we should be asking is does it work and can we get the same results from a more healthy choice 

We did have one child last year and we had the same with his siblings in other years.   Mum puts in sooo much (a) to give him choiceO.o and (b) he goes on to grandparents for the afternoon and so it saves them having to provide for him.    Just wasn't always the most healthiest of stuff - most parents seem to have the message however, and I don't really say very much at all to them other than the "definite nos"   p. butter, sweets etc.  I use an app on my phone which explains how much sugar there is in some "so called" healthy fruit bars :o:o frankly it's shocking.