Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Time to get tough?

I have two members of staff who are a bit lacklustre at present. I have been trying to pull them out of 'the job' and to spark a bit of passion or ownership but it just isn't happening. This has come to the fore lately when a colleague who was visiting commented that they 'lacked buzz'.

One is not keeping up to date with observations, which she is getting paid an hour overtime for each week. This happened last year and then the quality dropped significantly because she was just trotting them out for the sake of it.

The other does not maximise interaction at all and tends to draw others into chat instead of focusing on the children. I think she's lost her spark and she seems unenthusiastic and flat.

Supervisions are coming up - how would you handle it?

remind them of last years supervisions and what was agreed -

do they feel they have kept to these actions -can they give you examples of this?

give them examples of how/where/when you feel they are not keeping up these action - is there any reason?

reiterate what it is you are expecting of them - say you will be monitoring them and will having another chat within (give time) when you will discuss this again.Explain it will be an ongoing process of monitoring and discussing.

maybe do a peer on peer observation so you have something you can look at together and discuss how you feel it could be improved?

we do 1:1's on a half termly basis when things like this would be discussed and actions decided by both sides.

Make sure all notes are written up,agreed and signed by both parties to ensure no-one can say "oh I didn't remember you saying this/that etc......"

If you don't do something it could spread through the staff or cause ill feeling so needs to be sorted

If it becomes an ongoing issue then it might need further action . Good luck.

Edited by blondie

I think it can be difficult to be full on all the time...sometimes we just get a bit run down by the whole business (do I sound like I'm talking about myself ??!)

How about organising some visits to other settings to see how they are doing things ...or sending them on trainings (not in house!) so that they can meet others and have a chat, set up an incentive scheme...or a competition (we did a tuff spot Tuesday competition last year and got the parents and children to vote on their favourite) a bunch of flowers for the best practitioner of the week or a voucher for doing something fab??? rather than going down the rout of sanctions perhaps you need to think outside the box and be an inspirational leader....when was the last time you led by example and did something with the children that captured the whole groups attention? or could they take on the responsibility of a particular area/theme etc ????

(ps can I just say that I'm good at talking the talk but finding it really difficult to walk the walk ! our cohort this year seems to be a struggle and it's wearing me down! ;):o )

• Like 2

I think it can be difficult to be full on all the time...sometimes we just get a bit run down by the whole business (do I sound like I'm talking about myself ??!)

How about organising some visits to other settings to see how they are doing things ...or sending them on trainings (not in house!) so that they can meet others and have a chat, set up an incentive scheme...or a competition (we did a tuff spot Tuesday competition last year and got the parents and children to vote on their favourite) a bunch of flowers for the best practitioner of the week or a voucher for doing something fab??? rather than going down the rout of sanctions perhaps you need to think outside the box and be an inspirational leader....when was the last time you led by example and did something with the children that captured the whole groups attention? or could they take on the responsibility of a particular area/theme etc ????

HA HA WAS JUST GOING TO COMMENT ON WHAT AN INSPIRATIONAL LEADER YOU ARE FINSLEYSMAID!! THEN READ YOUR PS.........THINK WE ALL FEEL LIKE THIS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR........ROLE ON SEPTEMBER....WHEN WE GET A CLEAN SLATE!

(ps can I just say that I'm good at talking the talk but finding it really difficult to walk the walk ! our cohort this year seems to be a struggle and it's wearing me down! ;):o )

• Like 1