Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting in April

fizzy

I run a small sessional pre school and I've been trying to get my head around starting the 30 hour funding in September. I've started the ball rolling and sent out questionnaires and worked out figures to keep our heads above water.

I just feel like I'm being pushed into opening more hours as I realise if we don't it could possibly be the end of us. Is anyone else feeling this?

Anyway I had an email on Friday to say Leicestershire is going to be an early implementer and it starts in April!

I can't get my head around it. Half of me doesn't want to change and half of me wants to move forward with it but I'm feeling like I'm being pushed into a corner. Is anyone else feeling this way? What are people's thoughts?

I'm feeling as thought we're coming to the end of an era with sessional pre school and I believe there is a place for them.

• Like 1

I run a small sessional pre school and I've been trying to get my head around starting the 30 hour funding in September. I've started the ball rolling and sent out questionnaires and worked out figures to keep our heads above water.

I just feel like I'm being pushed into opening more hours as I realise if we don't it could possibly be the end of us. Is anyone else feeling this?

Anyway I had an email on Friday to say Leicestershire is going to be an early implementer and it starts in April!

I can't get my head around it. Half of me doesn't want to change and half of me wants to move forward with it but I'm feeling like I'm being pushed into a corner. Is anyone else feeling this way? What are people's thoughts?

I'm feeling as thought we're coming to the end of an era with sessional pre school and I believe there is a place for them.

I'm not being funny but I suspect you have your kids organised for easter by now. Why don't you just say NO! There is no obligation for you to offer 30 hours at any time...it will depend on your local circumstances. Do you feel you have parents who are interested?

• Like 4

I feel like the 8 months till sept has been moved to 2 months which isn't fair on providers, or children. It could mean if I don't do it children-may go elsewhere! Which will cause the pre school to suffer a financial loss that we can't afford. Two months is not a lot of time to re arrange staff or get extra staff to cover the hours.

I know I don't have to do it. I just wanted to get people's thoughts on it or hear from other pre schools as to how their getting on implementing it and if anyone is struggling with it like me.

I did a questionnaire on the children that will still be with us in sept and it was quite mixed. I didn't give the parents of the children that will be moving on to school after the summer term so I'm not sure about the eligibility or likely uptake of these children.

I open for 3 hours in the morning at present and there is nothing stopping me from opening for 30 other than the financial risk.

How many hours are you open for Bubblejack?

I did a questionnaire on the children that will still be with us in sept and it was quite mixed. I didn't give the parents of the children that will be moving on to school after the summer term so I'm not sure about the eligibility or likely uptake of these children.

I open for 3 hours in the morning at present and there is nothing stopping me from opening for 30 other than the financial risk.

How many hours are you open for Bubblejack?

I feel your pain fizzy, I'm Leics too. I also run a small playschool we do 18 hours , could extend to 21 but not thinking of doing so.

I sent out a survey too....a week ago (thought I was being proactive for Sept)!! like you just for those staying with us (I hope!) not had any back yet so don't know the outcome.

I would think very carefully - re the extra costs of wages, rent, possible pension, insurance etc when it's very much an unknown.

Your right you might be dammed if you do or dammed if you don't!!

Not a great position to be in for any of us - unless your already 'Big Business'

Maybe a wait and see what happens approach over the summer term?..........

I feel like the 8 months till sept has been moved to 2 months which isn't fair on providers, or children. It could mean if I don't do it children-may go elsewhere! Which will cause the pre school to suffer a financial loss that we can't afford. Two months is not a lot of time to re arrange staff or get extra staff to cover the hours.

I know I don't have to do it. I just wanted to get people's thoughts on it or hear from other pre schools as to how their getting on implementing it and if anyone is struggling with it like me.

It all depends on your areas circumstances but it could actually INCREASE the demand for places due to many eligible children losing out on places at other settings, due to the doubling of hours. If many settings are full at the moment, it would stand to reason many will not be able to accommodate some or most children for 30 hours.

It is from September that many start School.. thus numbers tend to decrease and at this point hopefully, due to starting the 30 hours early, you will then realise the demand. This could be a good thing! It isn't nice to be forced into things and it does feel this way, hopefully it will be a positive thing?! :wacko:

How many hours can you offer now. I was pleasantly surprised at the results of my questionnaire out of 15 parents none wanted the full 30 hours anyway

I am very surprised that parents do not want the 30 hours if they currently do 15? I suppose it depends on your area and circumstances but we have a high level of interest for both, 15 hours atm and for the 30 hours in the future.

I am very surprised that parents do not want the 30 hours if they currently do 15? I suppose it depends on your area and circumstances but we have a high level of interest for both, 15 hours atm and for the 30 hours in the future.

Most sessional pre-schools who only do 15hrs usually (I appreciate not always) but usually have 1 parent at home therefore they won't qualify for 30hrs.

If pre-schools raise their hours to just 30 would that help most working parents or would they actually want more than just 30?

• Like 1

Most sessional pre-schools who only do 15hrs usually (I appreciate not always) but usually have 1 parent at home therefore they won't qualify for 30hrs.

If pre-schools raise their hours to just 30 would that help most working parents or would they actually want more than just 30?

Yes, this is something I also wonder? I am hoping that the Government are right and this 30 hours does help parent's back into employment.. and out of "poverty" or to improve the financial burdens that can cause issues on family life.

is 30 hours enough? I feel a 30 hour week would be ideal for many families for a second income.

I am still undecided.

I haven't sent a questionairre and don't intend to. I can offer 28 hours max and if if I offered it to this year's intake 50% of my parents would be eligible. My guess will be the same for September. But the issue is I cannot make it sustainable. The thought of asking parents to cover the lunch break I can see as being a good idea but it is mot fair on the parents who are struggling financially.

Some of the day nurseries will take it and add their add ons but sessional me will struggle.

The argument that it will create more demand does not work if it throws me into bankruptcy.

sorry to sound angry about this but all I want to do is offer a quality service and it does cost a bit of money which if all parents contributed to it would work.

• Like 1

I open for 27 hours now. I could open for 30 if parents who now dont work find employment. The parents that do work mostly only work 3/4 days and they want to spend their day off with their children. My other option could be to stretch offer over 40 weeks. Until i know exactly who wants sessions i will stay as we are. A few of many parents don't even use their 15 hours now

i dont think id worry too much if you can offer nearly 30 hours...you dont have to do 30 and some settings are still offering 12.5 from before we changed to 15. If you can't offer 30 then they can access hours elsewhere(if they want to or can find them)

But the issue is I cannot make it sustainable. The thought of asking parents to cover the lunch break I can see as being a good idea but it is mot fair on the parents who are struggling financially.

We also have a duty to our staff don't we? we need to make ourselves sustainable and try to find a way around this madness. I'm sure parents would be happier to pay a small amount than to loose your valuable service.

• Like 1

I am still undecided.

I haven't sent a questionairre and don't intend to. I can offer 28 hours max and if if I offered it to this year's intake 50% of my parents would be eligible. My guess will be the same for September. But the issue is I cannot make it sustainable. The thought of asking parents to cover the lunch break I can see as being a good idea but it is mot fair on the parents who are struggling financially.

Some of the day nurseries will take it and add their add ons but sessional me will struggle.

The argument that it will create more demand does not work if it throws me into bankruptcy.

sorry to sound angry about this but all I want to do is offer a quality service and it does cost a bit of money which if all parents contributed to it would work.

I understand how the funding rates are too low and this causes financial problems, if we take funded children rather than private. The problem is that if a child is eligible they are entitled to these hours somewhere. Childcare prices have been an issue for many years, with many parents finding the current costs high, in particular areas at least. Many parent's have been crying out for "cheaper childcare" for a while in our area and many others.

It is usually good to have more demand.. although in this case it seems to be a problem!

It will be a mixture of settings that will benefit and others that will not! it all depends on personal circumstances of course.

For me, the funding is too low but only because I feel we can't employ the quality that we are expected to ie graduates or even pay our amazing staff more money and what they deserve. Aside from this, I feel the funding rates are actually workable if the model is right. It is looking like we need to compromise quality so that we are sustainable. This is not our fault!

If the Government expect us to provide this "champagne service on Lemonade funding" they are deluded!!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)