Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gluten free Playdough problems!

apple

Hello

we have a few children who have wheat intolerance so we cannot use our normal cheap play dough recipe.

The problem is that I have been using the Coeliac Society recipe but apart from the first batch I made (great) other batches made in the same way are drying out super quick- sometimes we hardly get a day's use out of it. As this recipe involves more expensive ingredients it is becoming quite an costly process :-( Although the price is not the issue but ensuring that all children have access to something they enjoy.

I am considering using plasticine (although this can get very hard) and we do use clay.

Does anyone use gluten free and have you any advice to stop it from drying out so quickly. Perhaps I am over cooking it although I do try to take it off the low heat as soon as it clumps together?

Edited by apple

You may find you need more liquid. Or perhaps change the flour brand? There are a number of gf flours out there now, so it's worth experimenting. For my baking I prefer the glebe farm as it seems closer to 'normal' flour.

We use the cornflour/conditioner play dough ( intheplayroom.co.uk ) as cornflour doesn't have gluten in it - but do check that none of the children have a skin allergy to the conditioner. Its lovely play dough and really soft - and we find it a lot easier to get out of the carpet too!!